THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for some time & will not survive unless donations remain consistent! We currently have over 17500 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. However, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford to, please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How to meet gay hippies?

Noobie

How to meet gay hippies?

Hello
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    anic: Just wondering if any gay hippies use this forum, I'm 24, live in south Wales.
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wanna live in a roundhouse, travel the world and be free - most gay men I meet would like to do the opposite!

Big love
    Jam
    The following users think this post is groovy: Onevanandhisdog

I would have thought there would be the same proportion of gay hippies as gay anything else. I'm bi and I'm fixing up my van to live in, can't say I've met that many hands on gay guys over the years but maybe I have and they just keep a low profile.

I tend to do "blokey" stuff (other than sports) like messing about with cars and metal work and stuff, my non work friends are open and easy about sexuality but in day to day life I don't move in the kind of circles where its ever been made obvious to me even though some of them must be gay.

Not all gay guys can be working as hairdressers, stylists and interior designers surely?

Turning On
    We went to a gay wedding recently and my gf said she was surprised to see around 10 openly gay men there and 2 crossdressers! When she said it i was surprised thinking about it as there was around 200 people attending.

Keep looking youl find someone that suits you mate

I think if you want to meet gay hippies, you need to hang out with hippies. Statistically, a gay one is bound to come along sooner or later!

You need to just hang out with people with similar interests. The gay scene is crap unless you're fairly mainstream, but festivals and internet forums can be great places to meet people
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

I'm bi and like you haven't met any gay hippies. I'm sure they are out there. Nobody brings it up unless you get to know and hang out with them. Keep looking , i will.

Noobie
    Thanks for the replies everyone, you made me laugh and cheered me up a bit
    - staying with family at the moment, working lots to save up for a live in van. It'll be worth it

Living, Loving, Welshing the dj's Avatar
    I've only ever met a few male gay hippies, have known plenty of hippy lesbians. I'm unsure why this is. There can be a lot of pressure from some gay circles for gay men to be cut from the same mould - to look like that gorgeous effeminate hairdresser we've all seen down the pub or whichever. Y'know. But they do exist. I'd suggest gaydar but I don't know whether you'd find someone likeminded or whether you'd at best find someone who was nothing like you but who liked you the way you are. Depends what you want and so on. Good luck with it all though. I'm guessing you have googled 'gay hippies'?
    My donkey fell in your waffle hole.

Originally Posted by the dj
    I'm guessing you have googled 'gay hippies'?
    I have also met more gay women on the 'hippie / dance scene' I am into

however I did google and found this - but doesnt look like there is many members....

but not much else,

My ex housemate (recently moved in with his boyfriend) is pretty 'hippie' in his lifestyle, thoughts and beliefs, however pretty mainstream in his dress, he's not scene however he met his fella through some sort of online gay facebook, as he doesnt like gaydar and all the usual 'hook up' sites, and my other mate is a total hippie and also in a relationship and met his guy out and a bouts, but he's also based near brighton - so he may have more choice of fellas due to the scene down there?
    good luck!

also might be worth (if you haven't) checking out other 'like minded' forums which have a 'gay section' to see if there are like minded friends / people you can meet up with?

Im gay and a hippy. I agree with you totally and from my experience there isnt really an infrastructure for gays outside the mainstream scene which turns me off...there is a group called faeries and they have a commune in south france called folterre. Ive been meanin to check it out but it does seem more of the older age range mmmm hard one!

i'm a gay hippy. actually hang on, could someone clarify in which sense the word 'gay' is being used? i just meant that i was feeling lively and vivacious today.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln

connected frequency

Originally Posted by Zee
    i'm a gay hippy. actually hang on, could someone clarify in which sense the word 'gay' is being used? i just meant that i was feeling lively and vivacious today.
    LOL

Noobie
    Ill give that a google, sounds interesting, not after the oldies though
    . Thanks for your post, good to know I'm not alone. Solidarity!

Noobie

Originally Posted by Zee
    LOL!!

I'm sure there is a gay farming hippy on here, seem to remember a thread somewhere

im 26 and some of the oldies aint too bad, but in general i agree with ya, atm i live in london and next year early im heading for the hills and gonna try being a full time hippy haha! so yeah if you fancy a trip down to folterre im ya man...rich

Noobie
    I just visited thier website and I'm inspired! It sounds like just what my soul needs.

Are you going to live there next year or?
    James

Originally Posted by organicjam
    Hello
    anic: Just wondering if any gay hippies use this forum, I'm 24, live in south Wales.

Wanna live in a roundhouse, travel the world and be free - most gay men I meet would like to do the opposite!

Big love
    Jam
    im thinking you just did the right thing..ask

Im thinkin of going mebbe to one of their weekends? Maybe may time ? When its a taf warmer haha!

Originally Posted by organicjam
    Hello

Hey Organicjam, I'm glad you wrote this, because I do despair of how many gay people (obvious not all, but it seems to be many) are consumer-oriented.

Folleterre looks amazing, apart from that though all hippy-type gatherings and festivals I've been to everyone my age seems to be coupled up already :-(

Hi guys, great post, definitely feel there is something lacking in the 'gay' world for people who wish to get out of mainstream. I also would like to live in a round house with some chickens and pigs, get back to basic and live off the land. Thanks for raising this post OrganicJam, lets keep it going and hope to come up with some ideas about taking it further. (Not sure where yet)! I'm 26 also from South Wales too

I think there are more alternative thinkers out there than you think. From my own experience though, I've found that a higher than normal amount of hippies are bisexual, though that could just be a fluke or that I'm bi myself and seem to meet like minded peeps out there.
    Never Knowingly Understood

Noobie
    Great replies guys
    I remembered the other day the best place I've found to meet like minded gay hippies has been the 'queer dome' in Buddhafield festival. They have daily heart circles and tea parties, they are lovely.
    < there was even a guy who looked like this. Lots of love to you all!

Hi I'm a fellow "gay" hippie, or I prefer "queer" hippie as defining my entire sexuality as either gay, straight or bi tends to sell my self a little short, but I understand how meeting others can be difficult as sadly we are still encompassed in a hetro normative world, something I'm all too keen to challenge... but there are beautiful gay, queer souls out there living the lifestyle you are attracted too. I've just come back from living in my bus in Germany for a year with a group of radical queers. Also I have been to folleterre which is part of the bigger queer faeries movement and couldn't recommend it highly enough if you can appreciate the spiritual and brotherly love... there is also a yearly gathering in a castle in the north east of England that might be worth visiting and I'm going to be helping organise a gathering for summer solstice in Glastonbury this year which you can PM me if interested in.. I want to see more, My dream is to establish more spaces where people can be of a celebrated and none oppressed queer, undefined and open sexuality while living in a natural environment.. and this can be hard.... so lets lets connect...

love johnny.

@Johnny: Sounds like you're doing good work there mate. I'd like to hear about the things you're involved with, if you could let me know.

The European Rainbow gathering will be in Wales in 2013, have you thought about doing a queer hippy tent there?