THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Favourite Old Hippie Films

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by gary
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Fear and loathing in las vegas

also the documentary about Hunter S Thompson- Gonzo, the life and work of Dr Hunter S Thompson- is a good film
    top film there gary

The best that l can come up with is ........

On Deadly Ground
    To be is to do......Socrates To do is to be.....Sartre Do be do be do........Sinatra

Does One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest count? At least the central character is very much of a rebel.
    We all lead different lives.

Dirty Uncle Bertie... julianthegypsy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Duckman
    Does One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest count? At least the central character is very much of a rebel.
    Counts in my book!
    Yawn I'm so tired with this big bag of coal on my head...

Originally Posted by Twister
    What a film i remember watching that when i was young, the film of the young kid keifer just reminded me of going up to my mates parents and there friends in the late 70s early 80s as a toddler, and just going up there and the attitude generally of the our comunity then was just like pulling together,to help each other borrow and lend stuff almost like the whole comunity was a big family, i can just remember those happy times, my childhood mates hippy family clung to the roots of hippism, with the occasional flirts with the greedy 80s that hit everyone, including my mum and dad, but i guess my mates parents could afford to be hippies coming from a wealthy lineage family, but they chose to throw off there status and hippe out and moved to near where we lived and bought a little farm, up north cheap and sold there place down south i bet deer. but still had money thats the thing, my mum and dad ddint so kind of had to make money to buy there little farm, same ideals differant financial backgrounds, my dad struggled then the boom came then the bust, i can just remember as a kid working my nuts off on our farm while my mate got chance to paint be arty mountain bike etc, i aint condeming hippies far from it, i was jealous of my mates love and freedom he got and they all turned out good, they could talk to there parents about anything whereas mine where a bit more old fashioned, well i guess my dad was, my mum a bit highly strung (and nowadays a dm reader) kind of was a little bit hippy ish but i guess sold out years ago, as a lot did,

Shame really it was like a war time sprit round us everyone helping each other to do well but there was no war beatiful eh.

Ok sorry to hi jack the thread (again) just got me all nostalgic,

Fav hippie films,

Easy rider but it gets a bit dark,
    Flashback... once we get into the 90s were going to make the 80s look like the 50s,
    born on the fourth of july,, bear with me certain aspects near the end where the mans dissabled have strong hippie ideals, that did change my outlook on life war etc,
    there have a merry christmas and lets hope for a drier peaceful and appier new year.

Strangely Lonesome Lonesomestranger's Avatar

Originally Posted by Angio
    the big lebowski-there are few to match jeff bridges

So how about the cut down and edited version... THE SMALL LEBOWSKI?

Can you count them all?
    It's no use shouting about who's to blame, when all that counts is how to change...

Kizzy the gypsy girl and Children of the stones........... think they set me off on my hippy trails when I was 10ish
    Not films, but series, so nearly good enough lol
    I'm not as green as I am cabbage looking

silent running and dark star are two of my favorites.
    Grendel
    We perform the impossible every day - Miracles take a little longer.

Originally Posted by Lonesomestranger
    So how about the cut down and edited version... THE SMALL LEBOWSKI?

Can you count them all?
    noooo

i fucking cant

Originally Posted by Twister
    my Daughter who is 18 now is named after someone in this film her name is free
    IF YOUR GOING TO RIDE DON'T RIDE THE WHITE HORSE

Steelyard Blues has to be in there. Donald Sutherland as a demolition derby driver trying to build an aircraft to go somewhere with lots of stock car racing and no jails. A classic.

Some mid-late 60s czech new wave is fantastic!
    for example.
    I'd like to see some British hippie movies, but I don't think there are many. I suppose
    is your archetypal swinging London movie.

Donald Sutherland in Kelleys Heroes...
    Grendel
    We perform the impossible every day - Miracles take a little longer.

Originally Posted by owsley
    . I suppose
    is your archetypal swinging London movie.
    It certainly pushed the envelope with a topless Vanessa Redgrave. She was quite good looking then.

Afloat ... or adrift? marshlander's Avatar
    Glad to see Head already listed.

How about Made, with Carol White and Roy Harper?

Magical Mystery Tour and Yellow Submarine ought to get a mention.

I enjoyed Three Into Two Won't Go enough to go and see it a few times, although hippyish in a free-spirited kind of way it is not a happy film.

Rock and Roll Circus, although the film of a rather special concert is rather evocative of the hippy vibe, which reminds me ... Girl On A Motorcycle?

Not British or strictly speaking hippy, although very in tune with its time, how about The Graduate?

If we can have Silent Running and Dark Star, what about Barbarella?

Film versions of musicals - Godspell and Hair (with its extended opening sequence a real treat for fans of Twyla Tharpe's choreography - one of my favourite dance sequences in any film).

Electra Glide In Blue
    Last edited by marshlander; 10-05--2013 at 01:51 AM.

How about Performance, Remember A Day, Stoned.

Originally Posted by jtatz
    How about Performance, Remember A Day, Stoned.
    Love performance

Originally Posted by Tank girl
    Its not from the 60's but I loved this film when it came out early 90's - not had time to rewatch it since my friend sent the link, but its on my to do list,
    I hope I enjoy it as much as i did when it came out

Ooh thanks for posting that Tank girl... haven't seen this movie for years and I love it
    Didn't think to look on Youtube!
    Argue not with dragons, for thou art crunchy and go well with brie...

Fritz The Cat

and Heavy Traffic

Originally Posted by Colin M
    Not sure if folks would class it as a 'Hippy' film, but I used to watch and re-watch 'Alice's Restaurant' when we shared a house 30 years ago. Our other over played vid was Woodstock - mainly as it was good background to get stoned too. But Alice's was my fav.

Walk right in, it's around the back.............

:-)
    I have just watched Alice's Restaurant. Only baby boomers would understand it.
    The following users think this post is groovy: wobblyjim

Not Quite a Noobie
    The big Lebowski, which I watched quite recently. Not super hippy like, but the dude is funny.
    The following users think this post is groovy: julianthegypsy

In a similar vein to The Big Lebowski, which I adore, Inherent Vice is a cracker. Joaquin Phoenix as a stoned Private Investigator with not a clue what's going on and Josh Brolin as a total nutjob cop. Brilliant.

Originally Posted by stardust
    I've been watching a few 1960s films recently and wanted to see which films from that era that other people enjoy.

I guess Easy Rider is the most obvious ones. But some of the same actors do some very similar films, one being Psych Out, another one The Trip, which was apparently banned for 36 years.

I'm watching The Trip later on, but can definitely recommend Psych Out if you enjoyed Easy Rider.

I also recently watched The Magic Trip, which was more of a documentary than a film, but it was mainly footage from the bus trip Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters took across America in 1964. It was absolutely awesome and I can't wait until I can watch it again.

Although On The Road came out in 2012, it was based very much on the same scene, if not slightly earlier, and I also enjoyed that one a lot, even though it was not made then.

So, what are your favourite hippie films? Can anyone recommend any similar films that focus more on the late 1960s British scene than the American one?

I
    I loved the Magic Trip so much a I bought it.

My favorite hippy movie is Dr. Strange Love, or how I learned to quit worrying and love the bomb.

Another good hippy movie is CANDY with Ringo Star. There's a lot of big stars in that movie. You can watch it on youtube.