THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Alan Watts

the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar

Alan Watts

Some of the most spiritually awakened material I've heard ...

These are short clips, but there's a lot of longer lecture material out on Youtube (without the background music).

I'm sure others must have heard of him before - considering he died in 1973 I have no idea why I only came across him recently.

Redhead Rollercoaster Enigma_rising's Avatar
    i came across him a couple of years ago, an awesome philosopher, i have a book of his, called the tao of philosophy, its a sort of transcription of some of his lectures and it blew my mind
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Turned on, tuned in, loved up, trippin out, freaky on the outside, shiny in the middle.

For some reason the links weren't embedding yesterday - fixed it now.

Thing I found most interesting/profound is that he died in the early 1970's, yet some of the stuff he was talking about is only really becoming popular in today's "new age" / "new thought" circles. His lectures could have been made yesterday/

Ah found it! Moderator FriedOnion's Avatar
    He had a following in his day & nowadays. In any era you get people that are content to follow the crowd, at least while the system works for them, as such this will only appeal to a minority which is a shame.

i love Alan... I just read 'Psychotherapy East and West' and it was just astoundingly good... 'do you do it or does it do you' is also an amazing lecture series. as someone who spent many a year on some kind of deranged spiritual search it was Alan Watts more than anyone else that really 'saved' me from many more years of chasing my own tail...

he points out certain paradoxes in our thinking and that is very rare..

Krishnamurti isnt as entertaining, but he does a good job too in dispelling a lot of subtle and unhelpful spiritual ideas
    Last edited by matthewmoore3; 08-04--2013 at 03:37 PM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra

Not Quite a Noobie
    I absolutely love Alan Watts, he ahead of his time.

Not Quite a Noobie
    The Taoist book is rather good.Think it was called The Watercourse Way.

I came across this clip the other day ... thought it was pretty profound!

Im not much of a Scholar on Alan Watts but do have an interest and a little knowledge of his Philosophies , ,very intensive stuff {that im in agreement with } but if we { I } was to take on his whole take on life , I think it would be very difficult to try and come to terms with todays attitudes of the Masses . becoming even more Detached from it as I already do at the present .
    Does anything in life realy matter as long as the Kettles still working .

I love Alan Watts got into his stuff about 11 years ago he really hits the nail on the end on most of what he says, really resonates within : )
    Just let things BE in their own way, and their will be neither coming or going...

Never heard of the guy, Paul but the small piece of film you posted has got me wanting to check out more. Thanks for sharing"
    Because you are alive, everything is posible - Thich Nhat Hanh

I've been listening to his lectures on YouTube over the last couple of months.
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    's a playlist.

This was the last one I listened to. I like how he claims we're all selfish and we're all jokers.

"We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams"

My friend introduced me to Alan Watts and his lectures not too long ago, I'm so glad he did! I listen to at least one short clip of his each day now
    Namaste' ~ peace ~ love ~ light ~

Alan Watts and Terrence Mckenna are a couple of my favourite speakers on such subjects...
    thanks for sharing

I read Alan Watts' The Wisdom of Insecurity when I was in my early 20's. It's fair to say that Watts had a hand in making me the man I am today. The cunt.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln

Heavenly Creature
    The guy was a genius....got me interested in spirituality, consciousness and lsd many years ago.......I often return to his books...

I didn't realise there were books....

I had this done today, my favourite Alan Watts quote...

The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, Lightbringer

Heavenly Creature
    Wow.....that's fantastic.......A good choice of one of his many fantastic quotes....

fuck me, that's quite a bold statement!
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln

No idear who Alan Watts is but cool quote

Strange thing was, considering his relatively unknown status, the tattooist was like "Oh I fucking love Alan Watts!". It's like the universe took me there maaan!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra

Heavenly Creature
    Daoist philosophy in a nutshell there....

This thread has got me re-reading one of his transcript collections....The Way of Liberation:Essays and lectures on the transformation of the self.....finding it hard going.....

I've been listening to "You're it" on YouTube for the last month. It's taking me so long to get through it because I always listen when I'm in bed, and end up falling asleep! His voice is so soothing.

I find it quite odd that all of the lectures took place before I was born. He had been dead a decade before I made an appearance. I suppose it's just weird to think that people were considering these things (life, existence, death, the self, etc.) long before I even existed.