THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Wooden things

My first try at muscle tone and definition

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And now for a slightly surreal homestead on a hill.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman

Rockin the wood there Chilli lovin the galleon certainly cant be called a boat, most elegant. I will ride on the galleon and drop in on that lovely homestead for a cuppa.
    Brilliant work

Thanks Mayfly

here's the latest I have been working on. A Beech cheeseboard with a shire horse in motion.

And heare's another wood scribble from last night. faerie on a flower

Slightly different line of woodwork, but i'm having a go at making my own bow

completly from scratch, only using a hatchet to chop away

it's coming along
    lots more work to do, but my hands need a rest... blisters everywhere haha
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The following users think this post is groovy: Fire-Tree

That looks really good.It's something I've always wanted to have a go at. What wood are you using?

I looked on to making a yew longbow once and found out that traditional long bows were made of specially cut yew. The bit of the bow facing the target should consist of two thirds of sap wood as this is good under tension and the third of the bow facing the bowman should be hardwood ad this is good under compression. I look forward to you posting up more pics of your progress.

well there are many different ways, the main thing is making sure that the bit facing the target is one growth ring for strength. Not sure what type of wood it is, just a tree which was in my garden. There should be enough wood for a couple more short bows, and a long bow, but im just having a dabble at it, and it's going okay so far
    il post more pictures when ive progressed a bit more

Here's the latest wooden scribble. A my little pony/unicorn in steampunk style dress. I saw a similar image on the net and thought it would be fun to burn......maybe I need to increase my meds??

increase the meds? depends what kinda 'meds' they are ;P
    Do whatever keeps you doing these awesome burnings
    what do you use to do them?

I use a wire tipped burner like this

It's not cheap to buy, but you can get them 2nd hand on ebay if you watch out carefully. I started with a much cheaper solid tipped one - a bit like a soldering iron. But it took too long to heat up, and the heat is not variable so it's difficult to do fine detail. With the wire ones, you can also make you own shaped tips with wire if you need something to do a specific job......but to be honest most of my burnings are just done with 2 different sized wire tips.

hmmm, think it's possible to make your own? should be simple if theres no fancy electronics inside

Where do you get the wooden blanks?

Originally Posted by detonatorJE
    hmmm, think it's possible to make your own? should be simple if theres no fancy electronics inside
    Hmmmm - should be easy enough I suppose - it all looks like basic electrical stuff you could find at somewhere like maplins. I haven't taken the box of tricks apart, but I know of people who have had the same type of burner for 20 years and have said it's easy to repair if required, so it can't be too difficult to build.

Originally Posted by Thistle
    Where do you get the wooden blanks?
    I get stuff from all over really, the small rectangle ones were charity shop finds - mini cheese boards or something, There are a few ebayers selling either solid wood or birch ply stuff.

and then other internet companies such as

I also burn on to rings of branches - again just dead stuff picked up when I'm walking in the woods and sliced on a jigsaw.

Lighter wood is better - birch or sycamore/maple. Beech is ok, but the flecks in the grain can cause trouble with some shading. Oak is darker and more difficult to get an even burn on. I haven't yet tried any ash, but reckon it would be ok.

Thank you so much Chillicamper!!

And here's a pic of my VW camper burnt on to a 30 cm beechwood cheeseboard

Nice!!!

I bought a burner from Peter Child, then we moved and it's still packed away somewhere. I need to find it!

Originally Posted by Chillicamper
    Hmmmm - should be easy enough I suppose - it all looks like basic electrical stuff you could find at somewhere like maplins. I haven't taken the box of tricks apart, but I know of people who have had the same type of burner for 20 years and have said it's easy to repair if required, so it can't be too difficult to build.
    Yeah, Ill add it to my list of projects to do haha
    so many things, so little time and money

Heres a few more of the wooden scribblings I have done recently.

Moggie Minor Traveller

Steampunk pony

Curse of the Mummy

And a few more......sorry!

a nekkid lady

A Mercedes F1 car

and a snoozy puppy

You are really good at thatr, you know. Do you sell any of them?/take requests?

Originally Posted by detonatorJE
    You are really good at thatr, you know. Do you sell any of them?/take requests?
    Cheers dude. My sister has a small craft stall selling wooden bits. She sells a few of my burnings occasionally - it pays for more materials for me to burn.

I have done a couple of requests. The Moggie Traveller and the F1 car were requests for presents.

The Traveller for a little old lady whose husband had died recently. He used to have a Traveller and was always working on it apparently. A friend of hers commissioned it as a memorial/reminder of him. She burst in to rears when it was presented to her.....I hope that was a good thing.....but I like to think it will remind her of some happy memories.

That's beautiful
    I just started leather work and am just doing requests for small favours/donations etc. only for friends, but i really enjoy it
    I just cant believe it took me so long to have a go