THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for some time & will not survive unless donations remain consistent! We currently have over 17500 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. However, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford to, please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17

Thread: Wooden things

I just had to have a go at making a pen from the new Bog Oak I have sourced, so I snuck out to the workshop late the other night! The wood on this pen is 5300 years old. It's so dark that its difficult to capture the grain properly in a photo.

The wood was quite hard to turn and the gouge and skew chisels both needed a sharpen halfway though. But the wood polishes beautifully and has a very subtle grain that catches the light.

You really can feel the aura of age from this pen!
    Made from Bog Oak from the East Anglian fens. Approximately 7000 years ago a rise in sea level started to flood the fens. Many of the trees died standing then fell into the silt to be preserved in the peat. The result is this very dark sub-fossilised wood.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    The following users think this post is groovy: glowingsunsets, milly, nicklincs, patchypete, skyraven, Sootyfoot

Been busy making loads of pens for orders.

L-R we have Oak, Pippy Oak, Sweet Chestnut, 35,000 yr old Swamp Kauri, 2 x Olive, Medlar, English Walnut, Tasmanian Blackwood and African Blackwood.

The flame/ripple on the Tasmanian Blackwood is stunning.

The following users think this post is groovy: Angio, Fire-Tree, nicklincs

Jesus is not your friend Fire-Tree's Avatar
    Lovely picture Chilli. How is the website coming along?
    Blog: Experiencing England in a car with no money

Originally Posted by Fire-Tree
    Lovely picture Chilli. How is the website coming along?
    Ticking over quite well. I've had more than enough orders to pay for the monthly cost and to make a bit of money, so can't complain. The picture above is actually an order just completed for 1 person! Think she's getting all her birthday presents sorted at a single sitting. Also completed another order for 7 pens going to Austalia, plus quite a few orders for just or or 2 pens. It's not gonna make me rich, but it will provide some spending money for my holiday......so it's all good.

Here's a walking stick/staff I've just finished.....which didn't go quite to plan. I was going to burn a pattern on this originally!
    I cut this in July and stripped the bark when green. I've done this before in autumn with no problem, but unfourtunately it was just too warm and the stick dried out too quickly and split.

To save it I decided to try and fill the cracks with epoxy resin, and to give it some colour I thought i'd try mixing it with copper dust.

The resin flowed a bit too easily so it was impossible to fill all the cracks around the stick in one go. Despite trying to accurately measure out the amounts, using different mixes has led to a colour variation in the copper filling, which I actually quite like.
    I'd hoped for a bit more sparkle from the polished epoxy, but I needed to balance the amount of copper added with the epoxy with the need for the epoxy to help strengthen the splits.

The photos don't show the sparkle of the copper really well, but overall I am pleased with the effect.

The stick is finished with a section of polished copper pipe to prevent the end from splitting.

Just cut & stripped.

the finished & filled stick

The following users think this post is groovy: Fire-Tree, nicklincs, NomadicRT, Paranoid Eyes, Sootyfoot

Jesus is not your friend Fire-Tree's Avatar
    Oh I love it, such a great finish. As ever, fantastic work.
    Blog: Experiencing England in a car with no money
    The following users think this post is groovy: Chillicamper

I'm usually busy making pens for others. But today I thought I'd treat myself and try out a new pen kit that's just come on the market for myself. I haven't made a pen just for me in over 18 months! It's a high end kit, beautifully smooth to put together and any pen make to this spec would probably retail between 60-80 depending on type of wood/nib etc.
    The wood is FiddlebackTasmanian Blackwood. Whilst turning it became evident that there was a fault in the wood - not unexpected as it was a piece of burr wood. However the fault was too large to stabilse just with glue. So I sanded it back and filled it with brass dust and CA glue.
    It saved a pen from being scrapped and I think it looks quite funky.
    The pen is fitted with an upgraded German Bock nib and writes really well.

The following users think this post is groovy: Fire-Tree, nicklincs, NomadicRT, Paranoid Eyes, Roamer, Sootyfoot

Here's the latest wood burning experiment. An 8cm birch heart with a copper leaved autumnal tree. The tree trunk/branches are burnt on. The leaves were carved just over 1mm deep into the wood then filled with copper powder & thin CA glue (super glue). Took ages to sand back and polish the leaves. Each leaf is only 3-5mm long. The technical term is 'bloody fiddly'. Difficult to show the shine on the leaves in the photos, but I'm pleased with the end result.

Last edited by Chillicamper; 13-10--2016 at 08:29 AM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Fire-Tree, GivingItThought, glowingsunsets, nicklincs, Paranoid Eyes, patchypete, Rick69, Roamer, Sootyfoot

Transcending

Originally Posted by Chillicamper
    Here's the latest wood burning experiment. An 8cm birch heart with a copper leaved autumnal tree. The tree trunk/branches are burnt on. The leaves were carved just over 1mm deep into the wood then filled with copper powder & thin CA glue (super glue). Took ages to sand back and polish the leaves. Each leaf is only 3-5mm long. The technical term is 'bloody fiddly'. Difficult to show the shine on the leaves in the photos, but I'm pleased with the end result.

That's absolutely beautiful, ChillCamper, it looks like it being 'bloody fiddly' was worth the effort

Stunning work, as always.

You have amazing talent patience and imagination.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Chillicamper, nicklincs

Been tinkering this weekend on the latest little woody project. A hazel walking stick with flower motif carved into the top, then filled with aluminum dust and CA glue. Seems to be going OK apart from nearly gluing myself to the stick.
    A bit more sanding and polishing needed before its ready to varnish, but I'm pleased with the overall effect.

The following users think this post is groovy: Fire-Tree, glowingsunsets, ma bungo, nicklincs

Transcending
    Nice work Chilli,

Could you give some details on your CA / metal powder technique ? It looks very good indeed, especially the brass in that lovely fountain pen.

Originally Posted by Boaty McBoatface
    Nice work Chilli,

Could you give some details on your CA / metal powder technique ? It looks very good indeed, especially the brass in that lovely fountain pen.
    There's not much 'technique' to it really. it must be simple....cos I can do it!

I get really fine powdered metal from a chap on ebay who mainly sells epoxy resins. Whatever crack needs filling (insert Carry On 'ooo matron' here)
    , I carefuly pour thin layers of the powder in - it's so fine it flows into the cracks. Then a few drops of thin CA (Cyanoacrylate) or super glue until the metal is soaked and bonded. Add layers to build as required. When turning or sanding, if any more voids appear, stop and fill/glue again. Then sand down with various grades of sandpaper down to 800/1000 grit and polish with fine wire wool.. Simples
    The following users think this post is groovy: Boaty McBoatface, Brynhyffryd, glowingsunsets, skyraven

Been a bit busy making pressies and stuff for people - so excuse the number of photos!

First up, A keyring made from heather - rare to get a bit of heather large enough to to - but it's a wonderfull colour! The keyring top unscrews so you can hide a 5 note inside for emergencies.

Next up a Celtic themed fountain pen made from 900 yr old oak

Then 2 more keyrings - this time made from Yew and these are mini screwdrivers with 4 different bits held inside.

A couple of little wood burnings on 7cm birch ply hearts. Sun & moon and a yeti hiding in the trees.

4 pens L- R - A Phoenix ballpoint with 900 year old oak, 2 Gothic ballpoints with 5300 yr old Bog Oak and another Phoenix with burr Elm

A twin set of pens H- eather (top) and Yew. In the Ogham Calendar, Heather represents the summer solstice and Yew the winter solstice

Finally a workshop pencil with 5mm lead made from birch burr.

The following users think this post is groovy: glowingsunsets, MacMac, nicklincs, NomadicRT, oddballdave, patchypete, Rick69

Brilliant work as always.
    The following users think this post is groovy: patchypete

Here's another present made - this time for my daughter's birthday - her first ever fountain pen.

I found this piece of pink ivory quite prone to chipping little flecks out - no matter how much I sharpened the skew. So I started sanding a bit earlier than I normally would so as not to bugger this one up.

The following users think this post is groovy: nicklincs, patchypete

Here's another present made - this time for my daughter's birthday - her first ever fountain pen.

I found this piece of pink ivory quite prone to chipping little flecks out - no matter how much I sharpened the skew. So I started sanding a bit earlier than I normally would so as not to bugger this one up.

Omg you are sooo talented!!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Chillicamper, history

Sometimes when I'm wandering in the woods, a particular tree or branch reaches out and waves at me. A couple of months back, I spotted a piece of hazel coppice that had been flattened by a large fallen oak branch. On closer inspection the hazel branch had been in the wars a number of times in it's life and had scars along it's length which it had valiantly tried to grow over.
    I thought that it would be a shame for this snapped off branch to just lie and rot, so I picked it up and brought it home. I trimmed it up and stripped off the bark to show it's bumps and curves arond the scars and hey presto There was a ready made walking stick.
    I thought that it would be fun to cover the black dead heartwood scars with copper leaf so that the stick looked like it have a copper core with wood grown around it......and here's the finished hazel & copper stick - varnished to preserve the wood and the shine of the copper leaf.

The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, glowingsunsets, nicklincs, NomadicRT, patchypete, treestump

Sometimes when I'm wandering in the woods, a particular tree or branch reaches out and waves at me. A couple of months back, I spotted a piece of hazel coppice that had been flattened by a large fallen oak branch. On closer inspection the hazel branch had been in the wars a number of times in it's life and had scars along it's length which it had valiantly tried to grow over.
    I thought that it would be a shame for this snapped off branch to just lie and rot, so I picked it up and brought it home. I trimmed it up and stripped off the bark to show it's bumps and curves arond the scars and hey presto There was a ready made walking stick.
    I thought that it would be fun to cover the black dead heartwood scars with copper leaf so that the stick looked like it have a copper core with wood grown around it......and here's the finished hazel & copper stick - varnished to preserve the wood and the shine of the copper leaf.

Love that. Do you sell them Chillicamper?
    I do most of my own stunts because the stunt guys show me how.

I mainly sell a few of my pens, but that's just because no-ones asked for one of my walking sticks. If someone wanted a stick, I suppose I'd sell it to them. I really ought to try a little craft stall somewhere, but they always cost too much for a pitch.

Here's a couple more pens that I made last weekend.

I had a scrap of the Harry Potter wood left over - this was oak floor boards taken from Christ Church College Oxford which was used as one of the sets for Harry Potter. So what more Harry Potter themed can you get than a Dragon ballpoint.

Then I tried another new premium pen kit - a TM Kappa rollerball kit. I love the circular detailing on this pen - the kit is also available as a fountain pen. The wood is Cotinus - the smoke bush. As this is a shrub, it's very rare to get timber from it that's big enough to turn, but the grain and the colour is gorgeous and compliments the gold accents on the pen beautifully.

The following users think this post is groovy: glowingsunsets, nicklincs, NomadicRT, patchypete

And here,s the latest pen - a new Stainless steel pen. The parts are all precison made in the UK. The wood is a very purple piece of Yew.

The following users think this post is groovy: patchypete