THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: freeganism

i rake the buckets from time to time. things i've found through experience are to be careful in summer time when temperatures are high and buckets can get a bit smellly and full of germs and the occasional rat. I tend to avoid supermarlets and go for local deli type shops, the type with nice bread and stuff. take note of closing time of aforementioned deli type place and be there once staff go home 10/11pm, end of the day is when all the bread and stuff gets put out. It seems they bag everything up seperate from each section of deli type shop, so once you get to grips with their system u are quickly aware of whats in what bag, you learn to sort through things methodiacally, avoid heaping bags onto the street and scattering contents - have a system use feel / touch open persuse stack to one side, have a defo pile and a maybe pile, stack bags u been through to one side of the bucket cos avoid staking bags on street police or passersby just get annoyed. avoid taking to much if you dont have freezer etc, check dates, and inspect throughly with torch etc as you go., leave no mess, wear gloves have a head torch, gas key, hat to avoid bin stink on your hair and have a seperate set of clothes and rucksack just for buckets cos smell lingers. i avoid anything with meat or fish in it, im veggie but even if i wasnt i dont trust how long stuff has been out of the chill cabinet (maybe good for dog food tho). also i have found that locked buckets have a triangular lock thingy that a gas key. the big yellow one fits onto and opens them up.
    been stopped and person checked by police before and in scotland there is such a thing as theft by finding, but i think the police arent interested in taking someone to court for being hungry, just be polite say you dont have much money and they leave u alone.
    helps to have a sidekick too, and be fast dont linger too long, lock up after you are done too
    well thats my experience / advice i hope it helps someone
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, Lightbringer, Richy25

I have heard about some shops using dye to spoil their foods,but i do know the dye is basically some kind of food colouring which is harmless to humans and is edible.

Never heard of shops using the blue dye but food factories and slaughter houses do. Such a shame waste waste and more waste.
    to many years and my life is still, trying to get up that great big hill of HOPE

yip experienced the blue dye and bleach and mashing food into a big messy clump! but the key is avoid the hyper / super markets.. go for the deli type shops in nice neighbourhoods. its 19yo students running these places ffs, they dont really care but a 30k a year hypermarket manager sure as shit cares.. scottish perspective, experiences might differ according to regions.... moooha haha

Noobie

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by emaria91
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Hi. Does anyone know of any freegan groups around southampton? Im keen to get involved but nervous to go alone!
    I'll join you

Noobie
    Just wondering if there's any veteran freegans in Southampton area?

this really seems wrong. just buy your food like everyone else :|

Why is it wrong? the food is going to landfill, and some people do it because they can't afford to buy their food, I can't see anything wrong with it atall.
    Never judge someone by the opinion of others.
    The following users think this post is groovy: beagoddessmusic, Boris the Bold, Daisysmum, Despoine, Lightbringer, Raffi, RollingFree, Starling, stinkypete, Twister

fine for people who can't afford to buy food. but it almost sounds like a social thing which i am opposed to. also i don't like the stories when kids are involved. really awful.

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by Katiee
    fine for people who can't afford to buy food. but it almost sounds like a social thing which i am opposed to. also i don't like the stories when kids are involved. really awful.
    You are aware of the fact that some people dont do if from a choice, some people do it becasue they have too, some poeple find that they have to involve their kids because their kids are involved in the eating process
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, beagoddessmusic, Boris the Bold, kampaman&Tracy, Lightbringer, Raffi, stinkypete, Thistle

unleash my pharma powers! Daisysmum's Avatar
    I've never done it but the amount of food wasted by shops and supermarkets is more of a moral 'crime' than any crime that theft by finding or freeganing might be. I'm not sure about the laws in this country but I believe in america they have made it illegal to store food over and above a certain quantity. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Cameron brought that level of control in here. Someone once said that 'the way to control people was to keep them without hope and in fear' - I wish I could remember who it was. It's the nasty insidious fear that keeps most of us who have just enough money controlled, while we know that the government plans to chip away at our futures to pay of debts that they created bailing out a corrupt system.
    We don't practise freeganism, but we sure as hell don't buy firewood and we grow a fair bit of food. However we are lucky we actually have a small garden and we aren't in a city, or at the end of an allotment queue and if push came to shove I wouldn't rule freeganism out. It would just be stopping more waste.
    Katiee, OK it isnt quite the same but lots of adults could tell you less than idyllic stories of having to work around school because there wasn't enough money coming in, utilizing the smallest family member as a wage earner only seems to have recently fallen out of favour. My husband laughs at it now but he remembers going potato picking as one source of income with his brother and getting a bag of potatoes that they were too small to carry home....it took them ages. I was expected to work in our shop, in fact most of my friends had jobs.
    The following users think this post is groovy: applecore, kampaman&Tracy, Twister

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Twister's Avatar

this really seems wrong. just buy your food like everyone else :|

To me, the only thing wrong about it is the fact that supermarkets throw away so much perfectly good, edible food with nothing wrong with it bar dented packaging, or past it's sell by date (don't forget that 'sell by' is NOT the same thing as 'use by' and it's still perfectly safe to eat). There are so many people struggling to feed themselves and their families, and yet all this perfectly good food is being thrown away. If you ask me, supermarkets ought to donate surplus food to food banks or homeless shelters or charities, but since they don't/can't, I don't see anything wrong with people taking the initiative and making good use of it.

It's not as simple as 'just buy your food like everybody else'. Some people can't afford to buy food. Thousands of people in this country are frequently having to make the choice between buying food or paying their rent or bills, because they can't afford to do both. If you've never been in that situation, you may be surprised by how little help is out there in a situation like that. It's not always as simple as just walking into a food bank and asking for food, most food banks have criteria you need to meet to be eligible to receive food and not everyone meets it even though they may really be struggling. Not everyone is lucky enough to have friends or family to turn to for help. When you're faced with having to shoplift food just to be able to feed yourself, and outside the shop there's a skip full of perfectly good food being thrown away, and nobody wants it, I don't see anything wrong with making use of it.

Some people can afford to buy food but still choose to take food from skips, it's a moral thing, because they think it's wrong to let perfectly good food go to waste. Again, I don't see anything wrong with that. We're increasingly being told to recycle, to make do and mend, to repair or reuse things rather than send them to landfill - this isn't any different. If someone doesn't want something and has thrown it away, there's nothing wrong (morally, anyway) with making use of it, in fact I think it's to be encouraged.

When I was homeless I couldn't afford to buy food and I used to take food from skips, that was from necessity. Now that I can afford to buy food, I don't take food from skips, but not because I see anything morally wrong with it - i'd just rather leave it there for people who need it more than me. I still take furniture and things from skips if I see something nice being thrown out - half the furniture in my house was stuff which other people didn't want. I'm not ashamed of it in any way.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'the stories when kids are involved'. It's all sealed, packaged food, it isn't tainted or dangerous in any way, and I don't think people are taking their children with them when they go skip diving. For me the only awful thing about it is the fact that in 2014 some people can't afford to feed their families.
    I've been tripping from sipping the dripping dirty water tap,
    i've been thinking i'm drinking too many drinks all by myself.
    I've been poking a voodoo doll that you do not know I made, for you, of you.
    Let's see what needles do.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, beagoddessmusic, caz241, DaisyDreamer, Daisysmum, kampaman&Tracy, Lightbringer, oldkeith, Sammy, wurzel

When I used to work in a small branch of a v big chain, any food, fresh store baked bread etc, we could take home, policys changed and ee had to throw it.such waste.id gladly skip dive for food, for me and kids, but as on the whole we can afford, as someone said, id leave it for peeps that need it x

I agree that it's fine when people need to do it, then of course they should. And I agree that it's of course wrong to throw away good food. But yes, I do think it's wrong to just do it "morally". I think it's in fact immoral. Because we can't all stop paying for food and start stealing; that's not how economy works (which I know is another story....). Like you're no longer a freegan as you can afford to buy food. Save it for the people that need it. I assume since these people can afford internet and a phone/computer/laptop then they can afford their own food. Fine if people are using public services....
    Anyway, I am saying what I think. Looking for people to challenge it, wondering if you can change my opinion.
    ?

I disagree, I think if you have a kid, do your best to protect it... fine feed it freegan food, but let it be ignorant. IE don't put your kid in a skip.

I find absolutely nowt wrong with freeganism, whether you're doing it because you have no other option, or you do it to stop it going to landfill, either side of the spectrum is fine by me. Its a wasteful world we live in, and if people can make use of the things they can find, then good on them. After all, as a generation brought up with the wombles, surely that was the message.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, beagoddessmusic, caz241, Daisysmum, kampaman&Tracy, Lightbringer, stinkypete, Twister

to me... not stealing from skips is part of conforming to society which is necessary whether you like it or not else (currently at least) economy would be screwed and we'd be worse off.

Why feel the need to conform? There's surely enough people conforming, monotonously following the work to live, buy, consume, die lifestyle, that the few people who actively opt out aren't putting that big of a strain on the economy. Now, i understand that it may seem unfair that you have to pay for food, and other people don't, but i think your definition of stealing is a bit off. Yeah, they take something without paying for it, but its stuff that no longer has use, that would go to landfill, which costs tax money, and destroys the environment to boot. These people are actually being very savvy, if you could live for free, why wouldn't you. Too many people work jobs that they hate, to pay for food, with very little left over for anything that constitutes a life... And not everyone has had the luxury of further education, to get a semblance of a well paid job, so that they can afford the little essentials others take for granted. At the end of the day, maybe we need to really look at the economy as an outdated model, that is pushing more and more people into poverty, and taking from bins/skips is a sign that all is not right in this country.
    The following users think this post is groovy: alantl, beagoddessmusic, Daisysmum, Despoine, kampaman&Tracy, Lightbringer, r3ubs, RollingFree, stinkypete, Twister

Id never take or put a child in a skip to get food, times ive thought of puttin one of them in one,but for different reasons, lol.but as white poppy said, it would otherwise be just wasted, that is worse than stealing it in my book, and is it really any different than taking a piece of furniture, or fire wood out of a skip?which we do stil do regularly. again why conform?2 phrases spring to mind here, im not a sheep.and only dead fish go with the flow!if the need arose I would do it again x
    The following users think this post is groovy: alantl, Daisysmum, Despoine, Lightbringer, stinkypete, Twister

Noobie
    I tried to do this when I was flat broke and hungry I mean I know how much supermarkets throw out.

Well I went out and the berks in the shop lock up all the bins behind pointy fences. This was at 4 separate supermarkets!

I mean I was really hungry, but I'm a big guy and definitely not a climber even more so when there impaling on the cards.

So I just went hungry, I used to steal pizza from the bins behind the pizza shop-good shit usually orders not picked up fresh as a daisy and nowt wrong with them.

To be blunt Katiee, regardless of your dodgy definition of stealing, your 'assumptions' regarding ownership of laptops, PC, internet and phones - I could tell you about plenty times when I was a student in Edinburgh and no one had any money for the meter in the flat. I knew everywhere I could go and study and get access to the internet for free and I didnt own my own laptop. Good way of keeping warm too.
    You want us to change your opinion, I think you would change your opinion fast enough if you were faced with real hunger and poverty. I hope for your sake you are never in that situation. I'm not going to bother to try and put in any further argument, those who have argued pro-freganism have put in a strong case whilst you have wittered mush about 'stealing', 'morality' and 'economics'. I think you need to take a long hard look at each of these concepts with respect, as you seem to have a very black and white view on things. Once again I truly hope you never find yourself in any situation where you do not know where your next meal is coming from because from your present point of view the choices you would have to make would be very hard for you indeed.
    The following users think this post is groovy: beagoddessmusic, Despoine, kampaman&Tracy, Lightbringer, Thistle

Interesting we have both sides of the debate for freeganism here, that's healthy

I was a prolific freegan and I absolutely support it. I have always actively supported freeganism and was interviewed for a paper about it, with a reporter joining me a lone trip to my usual haunts. On that particular trip I only came away with crisps, chocolate and bread, but I explained that you really need to take an average of your spoils over the week to get an idea of what sort of diet you can expect from raiding a supermarket bin.
    Well despite all that and a long interview the newspaper report was damning! My ethical stance had been dumbed down to a 'it's being binned, might as well take it' sort of ethos, and the reporter's counter-argument (if everyone were freegan our system would collapse) still stood.... Well what if everyone were newspaper reporters?! Surely we'd have the same problem and it's just as absurd a prediction as everyone dumpster-diving.

When you have no money, and you are hungry, all of the arguments against foraging for food pale to silly.
    The idea that the 'system' might be abused is not really a valid concern. It's rarely easy or convenient. In fact the last time I dumpster dived was 3 or 4 years ago, and I came away with 3 broken metacarpals on my foot, a broken wrist, 5 stitches in my eyebrow and cuts and bruises all over when I was arrested for suspected robbery. (I didn't realise the place was still open and the staff had locked themselves in a panic room when they saw me scaling the courtyard fence). Yes, I got those injuries from being arrested.
    Robbery was dropped to aggrevated tresspass, and I traded dropping that for dropping the charges of excessive force/assault by the arresting officer.
    Would I risk going through all of that if it wasn't neccessary? Well personally yes, but dumsper-diving isn't all that common for a reason, and there will never be a time when you're average citizen is going to be tucking his tie into his trousers and tearing into refuge sacks full of OOD food, rather than collecting his nectar points from inside the store.
    The following users think this post is groovy: beagoddessmusic, Daisysmum, Fritz, Lightbringer

Sorry to hear about your newspaper article Dexter. It doesn't surprise me though. I remember producing features for radio and being quite proud of my editing skills.
    You didn't once have a sideline as a blood splatter analyst...

Turning On
    Noob,2nd post, excuse me diving in! ..
    Im all for freeganism.Must admit to not being so skint to obtain food though, but I would if I had to! Disgusting waste of grub, materials etc etc.Skip diving has produced some great bits and pieces over the years.In fact, my family now truly believe I have the illness I told them about yrs ago!..Rubbish Constipation..or in laymans terms, cant pass a skip.