THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: freeganism

Sometimes I'd love to put my kids in a skip :-P but mostly I'm teaching them not to conform! :-)
    Rolling my wheels down the wrong side of the road
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer

Not Quite a Noobie
    i live in motherwell, scotland where are the best places to go to find free food?

Noobie
    I'm now in Bristol, does any one still do skipping here? Wanna find some accompanies, I'm completely new to skipping.

ive never heard such nonsense that taking waste food out of a bin is immoral!!!! WTF!

I find using a child held by the ankles a great "bin stick",once fully trained of course!

Our local spar - the only place round here for this - has now fenced in their bins :-(

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by wasfloatingfree
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Our local spar - the only place round here for this - has now fenced in their bins :-(
    Climb?
    Smile - It'll make them nervous.

Originally Posted by Katiee
    fine for people who can't afford to buy food. but it almost sounds like a social thing which i am opposed to. also i don't like the stories when kids are involved. really awful.
    Iwouldnt try to change your opinion but at the end of the day as far as I can see its not an issue that affects you in any meaningfull way so why have issue with it, the economy wont collapse because of it I have done this on and off since the early 80s, capitalism is still king nothings changed, the only harm done as far as I can see is the irritation it causes being up some peoples noses. No disrespect intended ,,,,,,,,,
    Live LIVELIFELOVE
    The following users think this post is groovy: Daisysmum, kampaman&Tracy, Lightbringer, whitetrash!, wurzel

Jesus is not your friend Fire-Tree's Avatar
    Yesterday a friend of mine was insulted because I asked them to get some wood from a skip.
    Imagine if I asked for bread from a dustbin.

I don't like the wastage. It is unethical to throw that food away when people in England are starving, let alone Africa.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Daisysmum, kampaman&Tracy, Lightbringer, Sootyfoot, stinkypete

I discovered today that Costa throw away delicious wraps and paninis! Added a few chips and some lettuce... made a delicious tea for about 25p!
    "My religion is very simple. My religion is kindess."
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, Fire-Tree, glowingsunsets, kampaman&Tracy, Lightbringer, Sootyfoot, stinkypete, wurzel

My first ever arrest was for hauling food out of a bin. Total bummer!
    Now im more in growing food than skipping food.

Hippy Hippo youre not far from me but sorry cant help you with the free food question, if i knew that id be doing it myself.
    I do most of my own stunts because the stunt guys show me how.

Noobie
    There are websites such as Falling fruits where people log free food around the country, it ranges from blackberry bushes to bins behind bakers! I recommend checking them out
    The following users think this post is groovy: emmadilemma, Lightbringer

Jesus is not your friend Fire-Tree's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gnomeglow
    There are websites such as Falling fruits where people log free food around the country, it ranges from blackberry bushes to bins behind bakers! I recommend checking them out
    I was just telling my parents today they should do that with their plum tree!
    Blog: Experiencing England in a car with no money

Never judge someone by the opinion of others.
    The following users think this post is groovy: caz241

I've been thinking a lot about this topic today after reading this thread this morning. I accompanied my mum on a shopping trip this afternoon and I've never felt so overwhelmed by just how much food is on the shelves and if we're throwing away loads of it every day - some people say as much as a third - then it scares me even more what we are doing to our environment. I'd love to go post-food-market-freeganning cos fruit is so blummin' expensive nowadays..!!
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, wurzel

my first freegan scouting trip
    So, it's early Sunday evening and most of the shops around me closed a couple of hours ago so all their restocking and whatnot has been done. Thought this would be a good time to go and see where all the bins are and how easy they might be to access. I managed to break my hand a couple of weeks ago, so no diving for me yet. This was purely a scouting trip...

First bin I noticed was a big grey dumpster beside a petrol station that sells food basics and snacks etc. It was in plain view of the road, behind a gate that any potential divers could duck under, and it appeared to be on its own so I suspect all their food 'waste' goes in there.

Next was a small branch of a big name supermarket. Drove into their car park around the back of the store, no sign of bins. Drove back around the front and no sign there either. I ended up driving away, then spotted them tucked away in a big delivery/loading area. Totally accessible. Might be a good spot.

I drove into a neighbouring small town and noticed that a major pharmacy has its big general waste bin about 20 ft back from the road, with no gates. They don't sell anything fresh, so I wonder if that spot might be good for cosmetics and body/hair products...

Onto another small branch of a big name supermarket. This was what I found:

Fences, security signs, security cameras. There's definitely an intention to exclude people on the part of the supermarket here, so that tells me this place isn't for diving. It's a fairly grey area in English law, but I think there's an extra 'legal" wrong in diving in bins that are closed off so securely, not to mention the trespass issues. From my reading of divers in the States, many operate by a code and one of the rules is don't go behind security gates etc. to get to bins. It's a shame, as there is likely to be some really good stuff there, but I don't want to cause any trouble so I think this one is off my list...

Anyone got any thought on this?

Yeah i think you might find yourself in strife if you climb over big fences etc. If there`s no security then at least you can act dumb if you get caught..

Does this count as freeganing? I didn't find it in a bin, I found it in the reduced section in Asda today. Flippin' brilliant! Check out the price on that!!!!

"My religion is very simple. My religion is kindess."
    The following users think this post is groovy: Fire-Tree, oddballdave, ollieollie, wurzel

Originally Posted by Raffi
    my first freegan scouting trip
    So, it's early Sunday evening and most of the shops around me closed a couple of hours ago so all their restocking and whatnot has been done. Thought this would be a good time to go and see where all the bins are and how easy they might be to access. I managed to break my hand a couple of weeks ago, so no diving for me yet. This was purely a scouting trip...

First bin I noticed was a big grey dumpster beside a petrol station that sells food basics and snacks etc. It was in plain view of the road, behind a gate that any potential divers could duck under, and it appeared to be on its own so I suspect all their food 'waste' goes in there.

Next was a small branch of a big name supermarket. Drove into their car park around the back of the store, no sign of bins. Drove back around the front and no sign there either. I ended up driving away, then spotted them tucked away in a big delivery/loading area. Totally accessible. Might be a good spot.

I drove into a neighbouring small town and noticed that a major pharmacy has its big general waste bin about 20 ft back from the road, with no gates. They don't sell anything fresh, so I wonder if that spot might be good for cosmetics and body/hair products...

Onto another small branch of a big name supermarket. This was what I found:

Fences, security signs, security cameras. There's definitely an intention to exclude people on the part of the supermarket here, so that tells me this place isn't for diving. It's a fairly grey area in English law, but I think there's an extra 'legal" wrong in diving in bins that are closed off so securely, not to mention the trespass issues. From my reading of divers in the States, many operate by a code and one of the rules is don't go behind security gates etc. to get to bins. It's a shame, as there is likely to be some really good stuff there, but I don't want to cause any trouble so I think this one is off my list...

Anyone got any thought on this?
    Two things that may help. 1) If you source the outlets (usually fairly small places on industrial estates (side note: estates are often divided up into Industrial, Commercial, Retail etc. which will help you identify targets. You can find out definitively from local council or commercial estate agents), that pre-pack food - you will hit a gold mine!

You could follow a vehicle that delivers prepared food to hotels and restaurants back to a unit. That would give the exact location. You will be staggered by what is rejected at the sorting/packing stage. I was a delivery driver for a while and I used to collect small pallets of prepared food, all the food was sorted (before it was packed) to be uniform, i.e. all the food was the same colour and size, tomatoes, asparagus, apples, cauliflower heads, mushrooms, etc. Everything had to look nice. That meant any foods not regular in shape or colour were thrown away. I was there for two weeks cover and whilst there I asked if I could dive into the skips, it was a small establishment and it was considered OK for the staff to take away any rejects. Because of an increase in orders they offered me a 3 month contract. I discussed it with my ex and we went straight out and bought a large chest freezer (we already had 1 but this was too good to miss) on the strength of the contract and I dived every day before going home and always had a bin-bag full (NOT an exaggeration) of that days produce rejects. She prepped everything by cooking, saucing, puree-ing, par-boiling etc everything I brought home.
    2) Trespass is a CIVIL offence, which means you CANNOT be prosecuted for it. You can only prosecuted for CRIMINAL offences.
    If the Po-Po are called they might push for intent of some kind but normally if you leave the 'trespass' becomes null.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, Purplemist, skyraven

Originally Posted by Raffi
    I've been thinking a lot about this topic today after reading this thread this morning. I accompanied my mum on a shopping trip this afternoon and I've never felt so overwhelmed by just how much food is on the shelves and if we're throwing away loads of it every day - some people say as much as a third - then it scares me even more what we are doing to our environment. I'd love to go post-food-market-freeganning cos fruit is so blummin' expensive nowadays..!!
    There's a website detailing where fruit trees and bushes can be picked legally for free.

Originally Posted by Katiee
    to me... not stealing from skips is part of conforming to society which is necessary whether you like it or not else (currently at least) economy would be screwed and we'd be worse off.
    I know this is an old post but this made me chuckle this morning

She does realise she is on a hippy forum right?

paul
    PⒶUL
    The following users think this post is groovy: kampaman&Tracy, Lightbringer

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    I know it is immoral ,the amount of food chucked out by the food industry , but in this day and age of heath , safety and wrapping everyone in industrial strength cotton wool , the retailers probably feel obliged to protect them self from the skip diving public under a duty of care , in case any one hurt them selves or poisoned themselves etc and then sued them .

On a side note we find by asking greengrocers if they have any out of date produce for our pigs ,the results can be staggering!!! and a lot of it never ends up with the oinkers , but on our table
    The following users think this post is groovy: Daisysmum, Lightbringer, NomadicRT

We do the same with the chickens and we used to get a lot of free food from our local spar but a management change put an end to that and now they are not allowed to give away any food and there are cameras everywhere.

Shame

Paul
    PⒶUL

[QUOTE=aman;1410904]I know this is an old post but this made me chuckle this morning

She does realise she is on a hippy forum right?

paul
    Yeah some of these hippies should be members of the UKTORY website me thinks Paul
    NECESSITY IS THE MOTHER OF INVENTION
    The following users think this post is groovy: Purplemist