THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: freeganism

Heavenly Creature
    Just hit Farm Foods. I am now awash with food. Chicken tikka chunks, sliced turkey, pork pies, sausage rolls. Bagged salad, tomatoes, and a gammon joint with tomorrow's date on it!!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, Colin M, glowingsunsets, Miss_bee, nicklincs, oldkeith, Sootyfoot, yazz

During the late eighties, I lived in a squalid box room in Islington. I regularly foraged Chapel Market for left-overs. The fruit and veg stall holder (who pitched outside Bayat's Army Surplus Shop on the corner - just past Woolworths) would always complain that we were technically stealing from him. He reckoned that "If everyone did it, people like me would force him out of business!". Which is rubbish.
    When my Grandfather had a glut of garden produce one year, he tried giving it away to anybody who would take it; but, people didn't want any of it.
    Most people are too shy to pick wild fruit growing in public spaces, let alone pick through rotten food on the floor.
    I even knew someone who got embarrassed and pretend they didn't know me one time they saw me coming out of a charity shop.
    I strongly feel large shops, especially supermarket chains, have a moral duty to , at the very least, turn a blind eye to anyone desperate enough to need to skip dive for food.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Ecobob, nicklincs, Sootyfoot

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Sylak
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    I strongly feel large shops, especially supermarket chains, have a moral duty to , at the very least, turn a blind eye to anyone desperate enough to need to skip dive for food.
    Desperate enough? Lots of people don't need to do it out of desperation, there are other reasons..
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot

Heavenly Creature
    We used to walk the dogs at Horsenden Hill. There's a lot of wild fruit there, brambles and trees, also hazelnuts. We would see them ripening one week, then the following week? Gone. So people do pick wild fruit these days.
    Recently we were in an Asda car park, vanman walked the dogs round a bit. He told me he thought there was some food by the (only) recycling bin, it's for small electrics.
    I went over to have a look, and found a giant carrier bag of still frozen, unopened, in date frozen food. There was two large bags of mince, a bag of chicken breasts, chicken kebabs, coated chicken steaks, four ice cream cones (the first to go!), chips and veg. Most of it's still frozen in cool boxes!
    The following users think this post is groovy: nicklincs, Rick69, Sootyfoot

just make sure that there anrn't any larger than normal ice crystals formed in the chicken - that might indicate that they got frozen - thawed - frozen - thawed ....frozen

Probably still fine to eat but worth checking
    Everything is not normal.

I had a feeling someone would pick me up on the use of that adjective. Fair cop.

Perhaps I should have used quotation marks around the word "desperate" to imply a 3rd party's perception.
    Yes, there are other very good reasons for choosing to recycle goods destined for land fill. I for one pick up discarded materials off the street almost every week. As an allotment holder I always need scrap wood, glass, and netting - and I can almost always find what I need for free. But, the point is, and I speak from personal experience, that most people in our society would make the immediate judgement, right or wrongly, on seeing anyone skip diving for food, that it must be an act if "desperation", especially in a "first world country like ours" which I have heard with my own ears. Now, I'm fine with that view-point, if it obliges certain moral responsibilities to kick-in.
    Turning a blind eye to anyone *responsibly scavenging is the least any human being can do.
    Contaminating food with bleach will do nothing to deter rats. It is an act of selfish greed and humanitarian vandalism implemented by those who clearly have never needed to put the slightest thought to where their next meal was coming from.

Now, I know that there have always been some responsible retailers who have consistently donated to food banks, but more needs to be done.

I was asked to pick up a take-away at a drive **though the other day (it was for someone else as I never use them). And I spotted one of the serving staff fumble and drop a brown bag filled with burgers and chips on the kitchen floor. It had already been closed, and nothing spilled out as it landed. However, following what must have been protocol, it was immediately thrown into the bin and the order was processed all over again. All they had to do was excuse themselves and swap out the food to a new bag. A complementary small fries would have appeased the customer in 9/10 cases; but, they didn't even ask. How many times must this go on during an average day?

There is a real need for a nationwide infrastructure, whereby even the small retailer can donate stock they can not legally sell to a local depot that would manage distribution of these goods to those in need. I would also suggest fines to those who consistently refused to get with such a program.

But, back to the original point: I strongly feel that good will on the part of large supermarkets and fast food chains is not being met. They demonstrate a total lack of humanity and this is a very worrying factor in any society.

*Responsible scavenging means leaving the area at least as tidy as you found it.
    **'Drive Thru' irritates me.
    The following users think this post is groovy: dustydave, nicklincs, Rick69, Sootyfoot

Heavenly Creature
    Look in any Mc D's bins and you will see what they throw away! Weekday breakfast is a good one, our dogs often get sausage patties and poached eggs.
    The following users think this post is groovy: nicklincs

Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Chatting to a bloke at a barbecue the other week who said he was a chef in one of the top restaurants in Bath. He was telling me that all of the larger restaurants only use frozen ingredients purely so that they can monitor the chain of food arriving to going onto the plate and prove that they food never once rose about -15 Deg C until it gets cooked and then quickly served. Any deviation or rise in temp means that ingredients get dumped. All this to counter any possibility of food poisoning. One tweet suggesting food poisoning is enough to close a chain down and so to get insurance to cover the loan to open the restaurant they have to follow this protocol.

All his years of training and passion to be a chef, now wasted in having to just use frozen ingredients, nothing fresh just frozen. It doesn't bother me as i don't eat in expensive restaurants and am not likely to get invited to
    - but makes you think, if you want really flavoursome food then unpasteurised, wild, aromatics flavours can only be achieved from gathering or growing, fermenting the ingredients yourself.
    Everything is not normal.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Chazz, ma bungo, Nelia

Heavenly Creature
    That's interesting Dusty Dave. How does the chef know if a pallet hasn't been left on the loading bay in the sun? Or a selected order left on the restaurant doorstep? Yes, freezers and refrigerated trucks are monitored, but that doesn't take into account the human element. Relying on frozen food for that reason is just mad!
    The following users think this post is groovy: dustydave

And the temperature control regime in the factories that produce it isnt rigid either...

>dustydave
    That sort of surprises me (but not really); although I heard a retauranteur speaking on the radio a few weeks back about how you could once have got away with using mostly frozen ingredients and microwave sauces etc. but that over the past few years it is no longer being tolerated by customers; and any premises worth its salt will cook everything from fresh. Still that was only one persons view and probably a fair bit of self promotion.
    I have worked in restaurants and had friends who have. The stories I could tell...(and probably will do at some point); and so I am under no dilutions that your Chef friend from Bath is telling it how it is sadly.

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    From frozen sounds a bit like its all about the money , it is not going to go off , long shelf life , no waste more profit!

From fresh all the way !!!

Originally Posted by Sylak
    I had a feeling someone would pick me up on the use of that adjective. Fair cop.

Perhaps I should have used quotation marks around the word "desperate" to imply a 3rd party's perception.
    Sorry. It wasn't clear in what context you were using "desperate".

Heavenly Creature
    Anyway, was just having a go at a poundland bin. I had waited till the shop closed, plus an hour.
    We got eggs, bacon, burgers, oreo biccies and loads of non food like deodorant and bin bags. Then some poundland employees came out!
    They were fine with us though, and I said we wouldn't leave a mess, so this one looks like one for the good bin list. Not many left...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, Miss_bee, nicklincs

Heavenly Creature
    For the first time ever, I got two bags of chicken out of a KFC bin. I thought they had closed early, but no, they were still open. I stopped at two carrier bags, and they was still more. I had some tonight, and then guess what the dogs are having for the rest of the week?

Back at the Poundland bin, it's been chocolate week. I literally got unopened boxes of Whispa minis, and chocolate buttons.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, nicklincs

Heavenly Creature
    Freegan on tour
    ! I went North to do a bit of work.
    Now, I find service station prices offensive. Three pounds for a pasty should be illegal.
    On the way up I noticed a Spar at one of the services was about to close and had reduced the going out of date food. That's when the lightbulb came on! Leave it half an hour (took the dogs for a walk) and go round the back!! There was the food that had been in the shop! I got cooked chicken bites and scotch eggs for the dogs, one of those three pound pasties and a prawn salad for me, plus vacuum packed pulled pork for later.

On the way back last night I couldn't resist trying again. It was later this time, and the shops were already shut, though the food places were open. There was a long line of food bins in the loading bay, mostly empty.
    The first things I found was chopped salad and tomatoes and a whole bin of coleslaw in pots. Then to my amazement a whole bin (maybe three bin bags) of commercial packs (5kg?) of raw chicken portions. I got two then somebody came out!! They didn't say anything but I just walked off with my 'shopping'.
    Discretion is the better part of valour...and binning.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Chazz, Lightbringer, Miss_bee, nicklincs, NomadicRT, oldkeith, Rick69, Sootyfoot, wurzel, yazz

The reason shops don't like you bin diving is because idiots take the food back into the shop and try to get a refund. Stupid I know but people really are that stupid
    Last edited by Bernie; 15-09--2017 at 06:55 PM.

Heavenly Creature
    I get your point, but not in this case. I could hardly walk into KFC with 5kg of raw chicken with no coating and ask for a refund could I?

Heavenly Creature
    I'm back at the yard. The nearest town has awesome bins. From Poundland I got 30, yes 30 dozen eggs. Two unopened boxes! The sell by date has just today gone, but the use by is 22 September so still good. I also got 25 tins of pulled pork!! The date on these was April. April 2020 that is!! I love it when shop staff can't get the grasp of dates.
    Moving on, I actually got something out of the centre's food bins. There's a health food shop, and in their bin was 12 500ml cartons of Hazelnut 'milk' and four packs of gluten free veggie pies, I will give them to my veggie dog.

I finished my shopping spree at the KFC, picking up a whole carrier bag of yesterday's chicken.
    Eggs anybody?
    The following users think this post is groovy: glowingsunsets, Lightbringer, nicklincs, NomadicRT, wurzel

Originally Posted by vanwoman84
    I'm back at the yard. The nearest town has awesome bins. From Poundland I got 30, yes 30 dozen eggs. Two unopened boxes! The sell by date has just today gone, but the use by is 22 September so still good. I also got 25 tins of pulled pork!! The date on these was April. April 2020 that is!! I love it when shop staff can't get the grasp of dates.
    Moving on, I actually got something out of the centre's food bins. There's a health food shop, and in their bin was 12 500ml cartons of Hazelnut 'milk' and four packs of gluten free veggie pies, I will give them to my veggie dog.

I finished my shopping spree at the KFC, picking up a whole carrier bag of yesterday's chicken.
    Eggs anybody?
    You'd fall in pigshit n find a Rolex you would Vannie! Makes me sick...

Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, Lightbringer, NomadicRT

Heavenly Creature

vanman's taken some of the eggs back to London to give to the lads
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, nicklincs, NomadicRT, Sootyfoot

Heavenly Creature
    I just got some more nut milk, this time cashew. It's boring and bland, not a patch on the hazelnut.
    Also got another carrier bag of KFC. I'm stuffed! No I didn't eat it all.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, nicklincs, NomadicRT

Heavenly Creature
    A good day from the poundshop. A full box of I Can't Believe It's Not Buttter, a bin bag full of cheese (dairylea triangles, seriously strong spread, Cathedral City cheddar slices and cheese spread cubes) and bagged salad. Also bagged pears, nets of oranges and MORE eggs!!
    Half way through, a shop member of staff came out with another bag of mixed stuff. He said hello, and I said we wouldn't leave a mess. He said he knew we wouldn't!!
    The best bit was the cheese and 'butter' is still in date, varying from mid October to March next year!!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, Lightbringer, nicklincs, Sootyfoot