THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for some time & will not survive unless donations remain consistent! We currently have over 17500 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. However, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford to, please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: freeganism

Turning On

freeganism

hi all,

i've just heard about freeganism, and wondered if any members practice it, and how they do it. i've been looking online, but not found much information about freeganism.

any help or advice would be nice
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

john
    The following users think this post is groovy: Despoine

I think theres a thread on freeganism in "the good life" section of this site

Turning On
    thanks, i'll have a look

Noobie
    HI John! I have been doing it for about 9 years now! I get allsorts of food and non food from an Asian shop bin here in Blackburn.
    Packets, tins, fresh fruit and veg, spices, herbs etc ! The shop don't mind as it empties their bin which is unlocked. The always
    say hello to me!

Noobie
    If you live in London I recommend Berwick Street market in Soho at around 4.30pm to about 5.30pm - 6pm as I you can get all the
    leftover fruit and veg before the bin men come. I have had avocados, melons, pineapples, grapes, oranges etc. I always go there
    when I am in London. Another good place is a fruit seller near Holburn tube station. Especially in the summer.
    The following users think this post is groovy: applecore

Any food store where the bins are accessable :-) they don't always like it - health n safety bollocks, but loadsa goodies to be had! My boy's mum got vegan beer's t'other week! I've known folk who live entirely off the bins :-) clothing banks are good too, when they're full n folk leave bags next to em!
    Rolling my wheels down the wrong side of the road

Turning On
    cool, thanks for the avdice, will be trying it out

Turning On
    hello
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Turning On
    i have found a tesco express near where i live, its shocking how much good food they throw away

Noobie
    I used to work in a sainsburys local and we used to throw so much away at the end of the day. I couldn't face doing that, so I'd always let the staff take home anything that they wanted from the 'to be thrown away' section, despite the fact that this could lead to disciplinary procedures.

I would warn caution before skipping at supermarkets though, some have been known to deliberately spoil their rubbish (i've heard rumours of washing up liquid and bleach being used). But if you do find a reliable source, I'd say that supermarkets are a rich vein...

Originally Posted by Sarah_Bob
    I would warn caution before skipping at supermarkets though, some have been known to deliberately spoil their rubbish (i've heard rumours of washing up liquid and bleach being used). But if you do find a reliable source, I'd say that supermarkets are a rich vein...
    Yes I had a friend that used to go skipping and she said certain supermarkets would essentially poison the stuff they were throwing out (I think they used obvious/brightly coloured bleach).

round my area they lock all the bins, they have recently chopped back loads of fruit trees/ bushes and it is generally shit for freeganism.

Noobie
    I have no idea what my area is like for freeganism, but I'm really interested and want to give skipping a go.. not sure where to start though?

Noobie
    Hi. Does anyone know of any freegan groups around southampton? Im keen to get involved but nervous to go alone!

If shops start to mess with the food they throw into the bins. Then its war and cakes, luxury commodities (home brands) are the target. I know people who repay the worst of the (waste food spoilers) by getting family and friends to deliberately squeeze, poke and prod at the luxury home brand products. Expensive cakes & biscuits are high on the target list. No-one wants to pay a premium for a high end/luxury (squashed, squeezed, pocked holes in packaging) - home brand chocolate cake. Funny enough though these same squeezed cakes then end up in the hands, of the very people freeing the food waste from the bins. Respect the the food chain, we all have to eat.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

Originally Posted by emaria91
    Hi. Does anyone know of any freegan groups around southampton? Im keen to get involved but nervous to go alone!
    I don't really know about any organised freeganising but one night at around midnight a pal and I were eating our vindaloos in the Aldi car park in Bevois Valley when what seemed to be a grandad and appx 9 yr old granddaughter went into the commercial bins. The little girl was right down inside passing stuff out to grandad and they filled five carrier bags with fruit, bread, cakes, vegetables and other boxed items. It certainly woke me up to the waste coming from a supermarket and how immoral our system seemed. Sadly the bins are now in a padlocked cage, as I assume the shop must be vulnerable to law suits or something. What a strange world we live in though.
    Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is meant to be serious.

Turning On

Originally Posted by alices wonderland
    If shops start to mess with the food they throw into the bins. Then its war and cakes, luxury commodities (home brands) are the target. I know people who repay the worst of the (waste food spoilers) by getting family and friends to deliberately squeeze, poke and prod at the luxury home brand products. Expensive cakes & biscuits are high on the target list. No-one wants to pay a premium for a high end/luxury (squashed, squeezed, pocked holes in packaging) - home brand chocolate cake. Funny enough though these same squeezed cakes then end up in the hands, of the very people freeing the food waste from the bins. Respect the the food chain, we all have to eat.
    that would be a good idea, however it won't be just the supermarkets you will be hurting. the supermarkets will tend to recover any lost/damaged products from the companies they have bought them from.

Originally Posted by londoner83
    that would be a good idea, however it won't be just the supermarkets you will be hurting. the supermarkets will tend to recover any lost/damaged products from the companies they have bought them from.
    na, once the goods have been recieved, checked and signed for, its all down to the stores profit and loss. Can you imagine Coop having ten chocolate cakes a month returned, from the coop in Whitechurch. Because they loose they're shape (appear bear hugged) and it looks like anything but a wooden crate, would prevent them from doing so once on the shop shelf. Get the picture?

Turning On

please read, especially the second table

I can't open it

Heavenly Creature
    It's a PDF file. Get acrobat reader (huge) or preferably the free foxit reader:

Turning On
    sorry, i'll try to upload it again when i get the chance

I managed to get it open, 3rd attempt. Not sure why it was posted up though?

Originally Posted by Sarah_Bob
    M&S do this. I think they use a bright dye.
    "We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams"