THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: freeganism

lone wolf survivalist.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by vanwoman84
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Ma bungo if it looks OK smells OK and tastes OK we eat it. If not, it goes to the dogs.
    yes that's why we have noses and tongues for, unfortunately most people rely on dates these days and that's why a lot of food goes in the bin. not that most of them would even consider skip diving, totally beneath them, they'd rather pay for it. its just a shame I cant get access to the supermarket skips around here or i'd do it as well.
    The following users think this post is groovy: nicklincs, Sootyfoot

Heavenly Creature
    What never ceases to amaze me is when other binners I meet say 'is that out of date?'
    It's in the bin FFS! A small amount is not out of date, but most food there is. Sell By dates are just numbers.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot

lone wolf survivalist.
    I never bother about dates, its unimportant to me, most of it goes into the freezer anyway!

Heavenly Creature
    I popped back to get some high end chilli con carne from the factory that makes it. They also have the water carrier barrels. Originally, they have cooking wine in them. I picked one of the barrels that had a bit in the bottom. It was about two glasses. I MUSTN'T get used to this!! It's nice dry white though...
    When I got back to the car park, one of the other lads had done a little run somewhere else. So I swapped some chilli for pesto chicken salad
    It went well with the dry white wine.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, nicklincs, Rick69, Sootyfoot, TravellerNick

Heavenly Creature
    Lidle again! Two weeks in a row! Not as much as last time, but loads of veg, sushi and some steak! In all a massive bin bag.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Miss_bee, nicklincs, Sootyfoot

Reading through this thread. Great shares and tips!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot

Interesting that freeshare.org was mentioned.I've only been dumpster diving around 15 times, always at the same spot because I conveniently found a foodbank depot and freeshare depot in my area. Once or twice I've hit the absolute motherload and other times I've only grabbed a few things to get me by if it's slim pickings, but I think in terms of gems for freeganing, that is it. I've had some hairy moments even in the dead of the night with a delivery driver pulling in and having to cower behind the bins and the very next night the police showed up but as I was ducking they drove to the end of the car park and got out for a quick look.. I was shitting a brick, but either they didn't see me or the turned a blind eye. The bins are out in the open but down a quiet street so no trespassing obviously. That scared me off a bit until this week. Took a peek and got food for a few days spag bol, veg, ready made salads, blueberry juice, Thai curries, pies, sausage and mash, hummus, mac and cheese,fruit....

The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, nicklincs

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by deepintrusions
    Interesting that freeshare.org was mentioned.I've only been dumpster diving around 15 times, always at the same spot because I conveniently found a foodbank depot and freeshare depot in my area. Once or twice I've hit the absolute motherload and other times I've only grabbed a few things to get me by if it's slim pickings, but I think in terms of gems for freeganing, that is it. I've had some hairy moments even in the dead of the night with a delivery driver pulling in and having to cower behind the bins and the very next night the police showed up but as I was ducking they drove to the end of the car park and got out for a quick look.. I was shitting a brick, but either they didn't see me or the turned a blind eye. The bins are out in the open but down a quiet street so no trespassing obviously. That scared me off a bit until this week. Took a peek and got food for a few days spag bol, veg, ready made salads, blueberry juice, Thai curries, pies, sausage and mash, hummus, mac and cheese,fruit....

Is that from a shop or a food bank bin? I had thought about food bank bins, if they are as obsessed with sell by dates as the shops themselves it might be worth looking them out.

It's from a sorting depot from a charity that provides food for shelters, youths and other projects. Fareshare depot is around the corner but I've never found anything there because I think the other sorting depot/charity supplies it. I know that the charity take deliveries from supermarkets weekly. A few nights I've found palettes left out because there wasn't any.room left in the bins or they maybe got the delivery late - put away what they wanted and left what they.couldn't use still in the crates. Definitely check out larger food banks or if you can, actual hubs for sorting for food banks or food based charities.

To add further that they have to stick to use by dates otherwise they'll lose the donations from the supermarket if somebody becomes ill. They throw away ready meals with small holes or bashed packaging too. They run a fairly tight ship from what I've read online.

Heavenly Creature
    I just looked them up. The good news is there's one near us. The bad news is it's on a gated estate so it's unlikely I could get in. Tempting to try though!

Oh yeah for sure, try..if not you can ask.

Tuning In
    Fareshare eh?
    I bet you're getting loads of the same stuff I am heheh

Heavenly Creature
    I haven't been to have a look yet, but I will

Tuning In
    Red pepper and artichoke pasta sauce, tomatoes, baking spuds, slightly old mushrooms joining my stash of pea and ham soup and sausages
    The following users think this post is groovy: nicklincs

Actually my haul is totally different! Id love artichoke pasta sauce and pea and ham. For me it varies massively but I've noticed they usually chuck things out in batches. One day it's veggies and fruit, then it's ready meals, scotch eggs and salad box central, then one day it was organic yogurts coming out your ears and some days it's chicken breasts and seabass.just slopped in the bin (clearly not eating that as it's not packaged). As I said before tho, this is a sorting depot charity base linked to fairshare but a different unit. I'm yet to locate the bins for fairshare!

Heavenly Creature
    Woops!! Just had a little 'conversation' with the manager (so he said, no proof) of lidl. I saw a pallet crate left out, and went to have a look. The guy got out of a car, and asked what I was doing. I said I was having a look at the waste food! He then said I was on lidl property and to leave it. I was going to do do that, but couldn't resist walking back and asking him exactly where the store property finished, and the public property began. He looked bemused, but kept saying I was in the shop loading bay. The pallet was sat on a double yellow line! He said he would call the police. I stood and looked at him, waiting, as he did have his phone in his hand. Nothing.
    I then got bored and said bye, I'm going. I walked off.
    If indeed he was the manager, he didn't know what he was talking about.

What a wanker!

Heavenly Creature
    Paid a visit to a nearby food factory, they seemed to have closed early (3pm). I was glad I went
    I hit the motherload of grated mature cheddar (2x 2kg bags) and a 2kg bag of pulled ham hock. Lush! Also some expensive chilli. Had a bit of a share out with the lads, it's too much for us!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Colin M, nicklincs, Rick69

Tuning In
    Yep that's the sort of thing I'd try to keep for myself but have to admit defeat!

Heavenly Creature
    It's the amount! The cheese alone would take weeks to eat!

Not related to dumpster diving as such but freeganism. On Sunday I went down to the local church and had a free breakfast. I've never been to a soup kitchen before and figured it was only for homeless people. Phoned in advance and asked if their were any qualifiers for a free breakfast and they told me that there wasn't and to come down for some food. There must have been about 30/35 people who turned up. I was really surprised at the service. No questions asked, they just asked me what kind of roll i'd like, gave me a cup of veggie soup, hot cup of coffee and on the way out they gave me a packed lunch of a sandwich, crisps, mandarin, organic oat bar and a piece of home baking. I was set for the day! I'm particularly skint at the moment looking for a job so services like that really are useful when in a pinch, only having money to pay the electricity bill or whatnot.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, Colin M, nicklincs, Sootyfoot

lone wolf survivalist.

Originally Posted by vanwoman84
    Paid a visit to a nearby food factory, they seemed to have closed early (3pm). I was glad I went
    I hit the motherload of grated mature cheddar (2x 2kg bags) and a 2kg bag of pulled ham hock. Lush! Also some expensive chilli. Had a bit of a share out with the lads, it's too much for us!
    London must be heaving with all that excess food!!

Heavenly Creature
    I'm in Sarah London so went to check on my favorite bins here. Happily it doesn't look like they're locking the gate yet, though the shop was still open. Helped myself to some mince, still frozen haddock and bread, also pork pies and apples. Back at the park up I pulled up some wild garlic and cooked the fish, had it with wild rocket I picked and washed earlier. Fantastic!
    The following users think this post is groovy: nicklincs, Sootyfoot