THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Mobile Options (updated)

the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar

Mobile Options (updated)

We have introduced new options for users to access this site on a mobile ...

After many years in development we finally have a bespoke UKHIPPY app for Android that can be downloaded from
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

We are still hoping to release a version for Apple, depending on their approval and whether we have enough money in the kitty (Apple ain't cheap and this site relies on
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ).

If are not able to use the above we also have apps running on a couple of third party platforms. They offer an alternative way to use the site that may be preferable to the mobile browser display.

They support other forums too, so you may find them useful for any other sites that are set up to work with them.

The first one is called
    and very similar to our bespoke app.

Basically, you install the app, search for ukhippy.com, log in and away you go - the interface may not be to everyone's liking, but it's an alternative to the current stock webpage!

When you go to ukhippy on your mobile you should get a prompt to use this anyway.

The second app is called

Again, you get the app from your device store or market- although this one isn't so well supported.

As with Tapatalk, you install the app, search for ukhippy.com, log in and away you go - the interface may not be to everyone's liking, but it's an alternative to the current mobile webpage!

I'm going to close this thread, but if you have any issues regarding the use of these apps then please use the
    forum!

I cannot support any bugs or formatting issues; I have no control over layout etc. I'll try to help, but it's best to assume that any issues will be the responsibility of the app developers.

About the long development of our bespoke apps

A little while ago we purchased the software required to create bespoke mobile apps for Android and IOS operating systems! These proved to be nothing but problematic and so we looked for other options...

Firstly they conflicted with the anti-spam software for several months, and we had to wait for another system to arrive. When we fixed this we discovered we were going to need to fork out for Apple and Android developer accounts (25 quid for Android and 108 quid per year for Apple), so we got stuck again..

Then we discovered that Apple were knocking back any apps that have age restrictions attached to their use which pretty much put an end to the whole project for quite some time. Hopefully that will soon be behind us.

the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar
    A quick update to this...

The independent Android app is now available and will probably get submitted to the Play Store within a few days (this is why I've been quiet lately).

Update:

The IOS app is proving to be more tricky because Apple still tends to reject age-restricted apps and costs a lot more to develop -- I'm working on this but have no idea how long it will take me.

Watch this space...
    Last edited by Paul; 22-05--2017 at 01:13 PM. Reason: app now live
    The following users think this post is groovy: Chazz, Colin M, Rick69, wurzel