THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive at the current donation rate! We currently have over 17000 members & if everyone donated we would never need to ask for money again. Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford it please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: The amount of choice in modern life.

Sex
    Male

The amount of choice in modern life.

We have far more choice in modern life than in generations past but does this make us unhappy? I think it can do to some degree if you are not careful.
    Depending on the company you keep can bring out the best in you, or the worst in you.

Sex
    Male
    Yes I agree , so many choices , I don't even know what to write anymore .
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Does anything in life realy matter as long as the Kettles still working .

Dirty Uncle Bertie... julianthegypsy's Avatar
    Sex
    Male
    The biggest problem we have really is figuring out what we don't want. We are bombed with information, much of which is rubbish, products we didn't even know we needed and probably don't and told we should do a hundred different things that we really don't want to and probably aren't good for us or anybody else. Happiness therefore depends on working out what to reject, leaving only the things that make us genuinely happy. Bloody hell, that's deep for me on a Sunday morning!
    Yawn I'm so tired with this big bag of coal on my head...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Duckman, r3ubs

A teenager in 1967
    Sex
    Male
    It's so confusing!!

Sex
    Male

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by julianthegypsy
    The biggest problem we have really is figuring out what we don't want. We are bombed with information, much of which is rubbish, products we didn't even know we needed and probably don't and told we should do a hundred different things that we really don't want to and probably aren't good for us or anybody else. Happiness therefore depends on working out what to reject, leaving only the things that make us genuinely happy. Bloody hell, that's deep for me on a Sunday morning!
    The thing I cant work out { genuinely} what PROMPTS these people who become the MASSES ,because of there NUMBERS to do these things , ?

Happiness isn't about all we have ,its all about having enough of what we need , a little extra if we are lucky enough is a nice little bonus . Not addressed to you J. just gets me thinking about the priorities of the state of this world we live in .

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by solo1
    Happiness isn't about all we have ,its all about having enough of what we need , a little extra if we are lucky enough is a nice little bonus . Not addressed to you J. just gets me thinking about the priorities of the state of this world we live in .
    That's how I live life - I had to figure out what I have of any financial worth, assets, valuables etc, and I really don't have much except for the roof under my jead (well about 30% of it thanks to the mortgage!), and my van. My car isn't even mine, it is my employer's. I don't have much, nor do I need it. Most of the things I own are practical, and well used. I don't NEED a new phone/laptop/car/shiny thing every year or two, theres nothing wrong with what I have right now. As long as I'm comfortable, I don't care.

Who says I should have the latest thing? A certain brand over all the others? The media... adverts... brainwashing. Those who are truly happy can filter these things out and have what they need, instead of what people say they should have.

One thing that always makes me laugh with choice, is going into the supermarket, and say... see how many different tomato pasta sauces there are. In my supermarket, there is half an aisle - and although they may be different brands, different labels, different prices... they're all pretty much the same once you empty the jar out! Even better though, sod that and get the ingredients yourself!
    Never Knowingly Understood

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by Muninn
    That's how I live life - I had to figure out what I have of any financial worth, assets, valuables etc, and I really don't have much except for the roof under my jead (well about 30% of it thanks to the mortgage!), and my van. My car isn't even mine, it is my employer's. I don't have much, nor do I need it. Most of the things I own are practical, and well used. I don't NEED a new phone/laptop/car/shiny thing every year or two, theres nothing wrong with what I have right now. As long as I'm comfortable, I don't care.

Who says I should have the latest thing? A certain brand over all the others? The media... adverts... brainwashing. Those who are truly happy can filter these things out and have what they need, instead of what people say they should have.

One thing that always makes me laugh with choice, is going into the supermarket, and say... see how many different tomato pasta sauces there are. In my supermarket, there is half an aisle - and although they may be different brands, different labels, different prices... they're all pretty much the same once you empty the jar out! Even better though, sod that and get the ingredients yourself!
    A funny old world we live in Mr Muninn , { funny ? is that really what I should call it , ? Lots of very dissalusioned people out there struggling to consume there way out of there Soulless situation they've got themselves into in there day to day drudgery of existence . When they reach 50 they become Zombefied T.V. Viewers and don't even realise there Dead , {lol} because everyone they associate with looks and behaves like them anyway . Alls most have to talk about is tales of Woe , and how there lives didn't work out ,

OOOOOW now theres a thing ,
    Right whos up on the floor for Rock n Roll .Yea Hah

Sex
    Female
    We have far more 'time saving' devices, everything is powered and not manual, yet we still waste time or kill time or cant find the time.
    I'm succinct - not rude.

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by cuckoo
    We have far more 'time saving' devices, everything is powered and not manual, yet we still waste time or kill time or cant find the time.
    So very true , People have choices and some choose to jump on the Hamster Wheel .

I really do think that there is no room in todays Rush around society for peeps who don't want to be a part of the Stupidity to be amongst them . Its just like being in a different Time Warp .

Sex
    Female
    Choice seems to have made a mess of relationships. We're all less willing to try to make things work because we can easily get divorced and find someone else, or just be single.

Choice, in general, is a good thing in my opinion though.
    "We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams"

Noobie
    Sex
    Male
    We have been conditioned to source something externally if we get that feeling as if something is missing when all we have to do is look within. This is explains why there are so many issues with people experiencing addiction (whether its cigarettes or material possessions), the thing that all these choices have in common is that they appear to serve as an anchor (something to hold onto) when all you really need to do is realize your exactly where you need to be and just bring awareness to your breath, be in the now. It can have an amazing impact on your life

Sex
    Female
    The Miracle of Mindfulness by Thich Nhat Hanh is a super little book that will expand on what joshl is saying.
    Because you are alive, everything is posible - Thich Nhat Hanh

Originally Posted by Starling
    Choice seems to have made a mess of relationships. We're all less willing to try to make things work because we can easily get divorced and find someone else, or just be single.

Choice, in general, is a good thing in my opinion though.
    And isn't it terrible that we can have the choice to be single... *sarcasm*
    Using Tapatalk

400 brands of sugared corn... Palinchuk's Pygmy

Chilling Out
    Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by julianthegypsy
    The biggest problem we have really is figuring out what we don't want
    Might be about right of course, here it all the time in conversation 'this tin of beans over those'
    'that eurobox car compared to mine'

you do begin to wonder when your scanning the umpteen TV channels at how little real choice is in fact to be had, and evidently (since this place is fairly buoyant just now) Julian and I are of a similar opinion,

Sex
    Male
    I Don't hav a prob just let the wife hav her opinion. I don't need owt as I likes the simple life
    bet me ,bet i can.

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by etherea
    The Miracle of Mindfulness by Thich Nhat Hanh is a super little book that will expand on what joshl is saying.
    It is but I have to read every page about seven times to figure out what on earth it actually says!
    "My religion is very simple. My religion is kindess."

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male
    Surely the logical thing to do about choice is to take what you need. You only need so many material things. If you have to work hard to justify owning something, you don't need it.

Excessive choice means a very wasteful society. Just walk around any supermarket and see the packed shelves of junk food dedicated to the consumer god of choice.
    Walk around any shoe store and see the hideous multitudes of cheaply-made often uncomfortable shoes which will last the summer if you are lucky. All dedicated to consumer choice, and with a very few exceptions, all made down to the cheapest price.

You could say the same about almost anything else produced for the average consumer, clothes, sweet drinks, electronic toys, the list is endless. It makes it hard work to sort through customer reviews to give you enough confidence to buy anything.

It would be better to have the choice amongst four good things of the same kind, than to have the choice of four hundred similar pieces of crap.

This better-quality of production could only happen in a world where everything was regulated to be of a certain minimum standard. Nobody would be able to supply anything below that standard.
    This wouldn't happen because too much money is being made by supplying an infinite choice of poor quality items, creating massive amounts of landfill waste.

Sex
    Male
    I really dislike choice in some areas, it just irritates me, going food shopping is a nightmare, there is so much stuff to pick from, i end up feeling overwhelmed. But choice kind of goes with freedom, as having the freedom to choose is one of the things that makes a free society.
    Form is nothingness and nothingness is form.

Sex
    Male
    I really dislike choice in some areas, it just irritates me, going food shopping is a nightmare, there is so much stuff to pick from, i end up feeling overwhelmed.
    I hate food shopping too, not the choice but trolley surfers and brats so I just do a blinkered dash just going for what I need and not bothering to look at other stuff on the shelves. The only time that I do search around is if I'm having a crack at some new dish with ingredients I don't have. I use Supermarket.com for finding offers which may mean a detour to another supermarket other than that it's farm shops and local butchers, bakers ect.
    Not all who wander are lost

The truth is out there NomadicRT's Avatar
    Sex
    Male
    Same here i dont bother about the overwhelming choice,I know what ingredients i want or items im short of and i buy those.We didnt use to have much choice years ago and could only get things in season.Now theres a mass of choice but I cant say im much better off.Im never short of variety and that is down to me not what is available and only requires i get the fresh ingredients to make what i want.
    As for supermarket shopping i dont often use them but i always go an hour befire they close or the first hour theyre open.If 24/7 i go late,theres never any annoying trolley dollys and screeching children or vacant loons standing havi g conversations on their phone or the local posse of mothers having a good chinwag.
    Shopping doesnt have to be a nightmare.It only is if you let it be one.
    You dont even havevto go these days if you hate it so much.You xan just shop online when youve time and book a cheap or free delivery slot and all the works done for you...

The same goes for non food shopping....I cant remember the last time i actually went to a non food store for something...it all comes via the post.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 11-02--2017 at 07:46 PM.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...