THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Music that hippies are supposed to like

the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar

Music that hippies are supposed to like

By that I mean stereotypical hippy music from the era ... Bob Dylan, The Byrds, Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, Canned Heat, Hendrix etc.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

So, share your favourites
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, Duckman, MidnightRambler, Oromis

The following users think this post is groovy: Danann

Fairport convention

The following users think this post is groovy: JonnyBrush

Oh well,

The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, Duckman, FriedOnion

Afloat ... or adrift? marshlander's Avatar
    1975 live show I know, but the song was older Man - Many Are Called, But Few Get Up.

I enjoyed a lot of West Coast music too, but preferred home-grown. We had some great bands.

Okay Dark Star by the Dead in '69 then

The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, Raffi

What a great thread, I could be adding stuff to this all night!

Oooh, gone all weak at the knees.

I think The Turtles version was a bit more "hippy era", but I prefer the original ...

The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, JonnyBrush, keep the faith, shamrockhead

Dirty Uncle Bertie... julianthegypsy's Avatar
    Aargh! My android can't figure out how to do youtube links! I was trying to get "Everything's fine right now" by the Incredible String Band.
    Yawn I'm so tired with this big bag of coal on my head...

The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, shamrockhead

this guy was good...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, shamrockhead

Originally Posted by julianthegypsy
    Aargh! My android can't figure out how to do youtube links! I was trying to get "Everything's fine right now" by the Incredible String Band.
    Here you are, Julian. Hope this is okay.

I did enjoy, and see live, that version of the ISB, but I don't know this song! Is it from the first album, which I don't have? I enjoyed Rose's posture and Mike's frantic bass playing! Nice cheery song. Thanks for introducing me to it.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, JonnyBrush, julianthegypsy

And before anyone gets upset this is satire!

But this might balance the picture ...

or this

The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, gophangover

A teenager in 1967

The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, marshlander, shamrockhead

I think its an interesting Topic/Forum , but what the Hell is Sterio Typical Music mean ? !!!
    There was only one type of music , and that was the Music of the Time ,
    I think theres to many young people on this site {lol}

Sorry but you missed it .

Does anything in life realy matter as long as the Kettles still working .

Yep I was listening

Originally Posted by solo1
    I think its an interesting Topic/Forum , but what the Hell is Sterio Typical Music mean ? !!!
    There was only one type of music , and that was the Music of the Time ,
    I think theres to many young people on this site {lol}

Sorry but you missed it .

The joy of being around in the sixties and early seventies was that suddenly anything was okay. I listened to and bought music from all over the world. I wonder how many fourteen year-olds these days would blast Balinese, West African, Indian classical and South American music from their stereos (oh wait, I mean their phones
    ) along with the contemporary classics of Terry Riley, the minimalists and the avant garde, American West Coast psychedelia, the satire of Frank Zappa, the challenging atonality of Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica, the radical political music of The Fugs, or the British agit music based around Notting Hill, protest folk music, depressed and angry singer-songwriters, experimental underground jazz crossover music of Soft Machine or Nucleus, British traditional folk and any amount of classical music. My neighbours may have complained, but they never knew what was coming next!

I don't hear that happening these days. Or am I just very old?

Off topic, but I was at a show in London on Saturday night where I discovered a completely different underground scene of young people's music. It was great to experience, but in terms of form and construction it wasn't as radical as the amazing variety I enjoyed when I was growing up.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, FrenchWhaleFan, julianthegypsy, Rockrose

So I was doing a little research on the Incredible String Band and, um...

O Fuck , give me your hand and come with me into the journeys of my mind .
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, gophangover, shamrockhead

And while I'm at it ...

The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, JonnyBrush, shamrockhead

The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, marshlander, Oromis, shamrockhead

im supposed to like these two
    ..typically,i do
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, FriedOnion, Oromis