THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do you think your personality changes as you get older.

Tuning In
    I don't think personality changes but I do think what we tolerate and accept becomes different. 10 years ago I was a party animal who went to pubs and clubs, I was being consumed by my mental health, now I have no confidence so I don't go to the same places, I'd rather sit on my own and I can't handle parties.
    I've got a shorter temper when it comes to nonsense or stupid actions.
    In school I was hated by everyone because I didn't fit in and couldn't handle the school environment.
    So I think that our reactions and tastes change but I'm not sure about personality.
    Simon
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

I dont think my views have changed a whole lot and the same things irritate me that did back when i was a radical leftie teenager ..If anything ive mellowed snd accepted that very little changes - the more things change the more things stay the same- that theres very little i can do about things issues and people in the world that seriously piss me off ....and so im better off.concentrating on my own life and things i CAN change.
    I suppose you might say experience and life in genersl has worn the hard edges and pointy bits off me so I roll along thorough life much easier and inflict less damage.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Daisysmum, etherea, Roamer

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by NomadicRT
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    I dont think my views have changed a whole lot and the same things irritate me that did back when i was a radical leftie teenager ..If anything ive mellowed snd accepted that very little changes - the more things change the more things stay the same- that theres very little i can do about things issues and people in the world that seriously piss me off ....and so im better off.concentrating on my own life and things i CAN change.
    I suppose you might say experience and life in genersl has worn the hard edges and pointy bits off me so I roll along thorough life much easier and inflict less damage.
    I like this post
    I have nothing to add.

Parts of my personality have changed,other bits havent.I think I'm a better person now I've matured abit (Im 55 and in no hurry to grow up!).When I was much younger,I had a fairly bad attitude,probably caused by my upbringing,but its mellowed out over the years,and I think I'm pretty kind hearted now.

Apparently I've chilled out quite a bit and mellowed
    , Used to be quite obsessive over silly little incidents when the kids were growing up. But now feel that life is to short to be that bothered.

lone wolf survivalist.
    our personality is shaped by how others treat us and what life throws at us.
    why do you think my personality is "grumpy old git"??
    The following users think this post is groovy: nicklincs, zendaze

Originally Posted by hagrid
    our personality is shaped by how others treat us and what life throws at us.
    why do you think my personality is "grumpy old git"??

I think our personality changes as we get older because of what we experience and learn in life, such as I am a lot more introverted these days, prefer to stay in with a bottle of whisky and netflix then go out and bother with people. I has also have less tolerance for idiots and bullshit.
    The following users think this post is groovy: hagrid, nicklincs, Sootyfoot

I think I have more tolerance these days. I was quite firey when I was younger. I just can't drum up the energy these days. I just want a quiet life.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra

When I was young I trusted everyone....now I don't trust anyone. When I was young I had faith in "peace, love and brotherhood", then everybody cut their hair, got jobs and served the corporate dollar. Now I'm cynical, sarcastic and pessimistic about the future. Trumped.
    The following users think this post is groovy: groove

Originally Posted by gophangover
    When I was young I trusted everyone....now I don't trust anyone. When I was young I had faith in "peace, love and brotherhood", then everybody cut their hair, got jobs and served the corporate dollar. Now I'm cynical, sarcastic and pessimistic about the future. Trumped.
    Peace, love and brotherhood are high ideals to have, but the one thing they don't do is pay the bills. I get what you mean about the corporate dollar, I have worked in public service most of my working life, I do not want to work to make some idiot in a corporate boardroom rich.

Transcending
    I have definitely mellowed as I passed 50. I'm more understanding of other peoples points of view, although they're still wrong ;-)
    The following users think this post is groovy: Miss_bee, Sootyfoot

Turning On
    I always wanted to go out on the town drinking as so much as possible had some bad hangovers at work. Now I can't be bothered to go out and hardly drink. I hated school and I didn't have many friends and I don't have many now being such a recluse.

lone wolf survivalist.
    definitely! i was more inclined to allow people their faults when i was younger, but then i'd get used and fall prey to con artists, these days we say "why are we surround by incompetents?"

I Be Thinking ...Peoples "Lifestyles Change" ....But NOT There "Personalities" And Think Many People Get The Two Muddled Up....Because .

You Are Simply "Who You Be And Are" And
    "What You Are" ...I Believe And Think.

And That Be Because "Your Personality" As You And Many May Call It ...Is Simply Another Way Of Saying
    "Your Spirit" As I Call It And Many Others Too.

Yes Many May Try To "Change It.. Or Make It Bigger..Smaller Even Better.. Or Hide It"
    As They Get Older And Wiser In Years Or For Others Etc

But In The End It Will Always Come To "Rise And Show Itself Of Who And What You Truly Are And Simply Be"
    In Mind..Body..Heart And Spirit...And So You Cannot Change It Or Hide It...Because It Is Simply "Your Spirit" And So Does Not Change With Age...For It Is You And With And Within You Always No Matter The Years That Come And Go And Pass ...It Is Forever There ...Because If You Had No "Spirit" Then There Simply Is No YOU!!!...

Well To Me That Is What I Think And Feel And Believe What You Call "Personality" ...And Why I Believe That A Persons Lifestyles And Thinkings Changes Over The Years ...But NOT There "Personalities/Spirit" .
    Form From The Void & Mists
    The following users think this post is groovy: dustydave, etherea

Originally Posted by Danann
    I Be Thinking ...Peoples "Lifestyles Change" ....But NOT There "Personalities" And Think Many People Get The Two Muddled Up....Because .
    So theoretically you are saying you have the exact same personality from when you were 5 years old, from when you were 18 years old and from when you were 40 years old then, up until your current age. People chang due to their experiences over the years, nobody is the same as they were when they were really young or even a year or two ago. It was Heraclitus who once said:

“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.”

In other words everything and everyone is moving and changing, everything is in motion, nothing stays the same
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, groove

Maybe maybe not in a litter of puppies you get dogs with different​ personalities, you can train each one of them and bring them up in the same environment but their personalities remain the same as they were i think it's nature.
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: Daisysmum, Danann, etherea, groove

Green around the gills ThreeMoons's Avatar
    I think as we get older we just get to know ourselves better - our likes, dislikes, what we will/won't accept that is all.

I don't rate Freud much I think he was an overated psychoanalyst with an emphasis on the psycho. Now, John Watson on the other hand has it pretty much down pat. We are socially conditioned emotionally by our experiences. He proved this beyond a doubt in the 1920's with what is now a very unethical experiment using a small child and 'harmless' white bunny. Only he made the child terrified of it short and simple.

Our conditioning can shape how well we know ourselves, our understanding of it can shape how we deal with it.
    Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up on your dreams and ideals, wrinkles the soul.

[QUOTE=gophangover;1565159]When I was young I trusted everyone....now I don't trust anyone. When I was young I had faith in "peace, love and brotherhood", then everybody cut their hair, got jobs and served the corporate dollar. Now I'm cynical, sarcastic and pessimistic about the future. Trumped.[/QUOTE

i totally get this sentiment

Originally Posted by rhythm
    So theoretically you are saying you have the exact same personality from when you were 5 years old, from when you were 18 years old and from when you were 40 years old then, up until your current age. People chang due to their experiences over the years, nobody is the same as they were when they were really young or even a year or two ago. It was Heraclitus who once said:

“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.”

In other words everything and everyone is moving and changing, everything is in motion, nothing stays the same
    Yes rhythm ...I Be Saying That...Because To Me What You Say Is A Change In .."Thinking And Believing" In Something In Life That Has Happened To Them ...That Maybe They Believed In Or Trusted In Or Was Lead To Believe Or Thought Something Etc Etc...But That Does Not Change Them (Their Personality/Spirit) ...No Matter How Deep They Push It Down Or Hide/Cover It...To Protect/ Themselves Or Mask It Etc...The True/Real Themselves Will Always Be There...
    Because The Only Thing That Has Caused To Change Is There Beliefs/Thoughts/Thinking In Whatever That Was...So They Change Their "Thinking/Beliefs/Trusts Etc And Act Differently And Appear Different ...But When In Fact Their Real/True "Personality/Spirit" Has Not ...It Is Simply Pushed Down And Hidden Along With The "Real True Them" ..Usually To Protect Themselves Or Hide Themselves Or Simply To Fit In Etc Etc For Whatever Reason That Has Happened To Them.

And Just Like The Saying "A Leopard Can Never Change Its Spots...And A A Wise Man Said To Me And Their People .."The Moon Has Many Shapes And Can Be Many Sizes...But It Is Always "The Moon" .Just As He Also Said .."You Can Trap And Catch The Wolf...But He Will Always Be Wild And Free And Sing Out Even If His Tongue Is Cut Out And He Has No Feet.
    And This rhythm Is Why I Believe In My Words And Said And Think What I Have Said And Be Posted.

And Just As I Said Before That It Is Just My Way Of Thinking And My Beliefs In Answer To This Thread And Your Words And My Beliefs In My Elders And Wise Mens Teachings And Their/My People Beliefs.

Just As You rhythm Have Your Own Thinking And Own Beliefs And Your Beliefs In The Wisdoms And Words/Beliefs Of Heraclitus. And Why I Respect Your Thinking And Your Beliefs Because They Are Your Free Choices Of Your Own Beliefs/Thoughts And Ways
    )
    Form From The Void & Mists

I don't believe that a person's personality changes at all. I do think though that as a person matures they way think about and react to situations can change because of life experience, more knowledge etc.
    Because you are alive, everything is posible - Thich Nhat Hanh
    The following users think this post is groovy: Daisysmum, Danann, Lightbringer

We are a product of our environment all the way through life. If that life is pretty varied it may be somewhat of a rollercoaster ride of switching emotions and opinions. I believe that is called learning. Those who insist they are the same after decades of being alive are either delusional or fairly brain dead through a lack of activity.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer

From what I have seen, most people seem to mellow as they get older.

Though, quite a few seem to become very intolerant of anyone who deviates from what is considered a normal way of life & living!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer

Well I'm still as bonkers as I was when I was younger but more chilled

The following users think this post is groovy: Daisysmum