Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it unhealthy to read/watch the news?

Theres no such thing as 'News',by the time its happened it Olds.. right?
    if theres something really big and important going down then i hear about when people visit me,if i need to know the weather i look outside or take a walk.

I hate the deliberate torturing of the language we have agreed to use, and media sheep bleat alike. I mean this crap like 'Spokesperson'... W...T...F.. !? and 'Physicaly disadvantaged'.. I have physical problems but i tell it straight : "Sorry i dropped that mate,but i was a clumsy twat with a chain saw, and my hand is crippled"

So to summerise: yes media and news is bad for you.

News as it is given is very unhealthy.
    I like the weekly Chronicle, tells me what has happened in the last week, and what social activities are coming up.

Dislike the explosion of 'news' and the usually rabid response by people, usually before all the 'facts' are known, or even before any of the facts are known. It is a documented phenomena that constant exposure to 'anything' will de sensitise people and it will take something shocking to provoke a reaction. Hence the constant increase in shock values to try and grab peoples attention.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Despoine, OfLeon, r3ubs

I think with the media, you have to take everything thay is said with a pinch of salt and research the facts for yourself. I have the BBC news app on my phone and look at it daily but any stories that interest me, I google and read further to try and find all sides of a story before believing anything. I have got quite interested in keeping up with what's happening in the world, I think to take an interest in the world around me is important now. I suppose it has always been important but realising that every decision made by our governmemt/other governments etc may affect my life and that of my child/family/friends and thinking how we can change things has become a focus for me now.
    We make a living by what we make.......
    We make a life by what we give......
    The following users think this post is groovy: Despoine, Ecobob

In the words of Stephan Fry - 'I haven't read news papers or followed the news in years and I'm yet to find someone more informed than I am for doing so' enough said
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    The following users think this post is groovy: treestump, Zee

I have not watched, only caught an occasional glimpse of the news since December 23 2010.
    I honestly did not know how bad the Winter weather had been until the beginning of March.

I find the news just plain depressing a lot of the time, I mean I know what's happening everywhere is important but I struggle to deal with what's happening in my own life so till I can deal with that I don't think its healthy to deliberately expose myself to how screwed up the world is. My other half decided to real off all the news at me before I was properly awake and it just made me cry - I really wish he wouldn't force it on me as he reads the news religiously
    chase your dreams ...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Despoine

It's not the news that I find particularly depressing, it's TV in general. 90% of it is utter, utter bollocks, and it just makes me angry that people are so easily entertained by shite.

I will download the occasional programme or series to watch but never watch it at home.

It's on at work sometimes, and for news I only really watch it on al Jazeera.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln

ever noticed how tv news *prepares* you with countdowns, numeric and musical and also inserts nemonic cirlces into the intros too?
    tv is called programming for a reason, numerous cia insiders admitted over the years to involment in a covert programe to insert agents into news companies. tv is actually a weapon being used against the masses. interesting topics for further research are parts of the mk ultra project called monarch, also check out tv and sigil magik, occultist cermomonies in things like sporting events e.g olympic ceremonies or mtv awards etc etc. tv sigils and nemonics and other levels of programming work on a subconscious level but once an individual is aware of the tricks used then they are filtered through the conscious mind and therefore less harmful.

here is a good vid to get started on, but please be aware if you are not familiar with the subject matter this can be harmful to you, maybe just listen to the sound and avoid the visuals.

the alternative independent media is out there and has the mainstream media on the back foot, more and more people are turning to alternative sources by which to inform themselves, information is power!

Heavenly Creature
    Dig the stylised Eye of Orus right in there in Fox News, man. Symbol of The Watchers over Terra Sol. SWTF are these bad guys doing with it?

Always figured the Beeb was corrupt, too. Still are, I guess. Real glad we don't have a telly - fancy having to watch this stuff for long!

Is it unhealthy?
    Trevor McDonald gave the best response, IMHO.
    As a newsreader he was so depressed by the stuff he read every evening that he demanded "Something nice" to finish the thirty minutes on.
    He didn't care what it was, just that as a piece of news people had to leave his show thinking "That's nice to know".

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar
    I've been thinking about this again lately, about how the media manipulate what they consider important in order to rile up hatred.

Take The UKIP for instance - if it wasn't for the media making a fuss about them, there's every chance they would have been a whole lot less successful before eventually sinking into obscurity. The same applies to the parties that weren't given much coverage - The Greens for instance, who barely got a mention.

It's like, even if you go and do your own research, or rely on other means to discover what's going on, the agenda is still being set by by the media.

UK Hippy Reiki Doula Editor Sarah's Avatar
    yep...and the media is owned by one family...that's the part i find most scary...
    If we are to heal the planet, we must begin by healing birthing.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Despoine, eyewil, treestump

By not watching the news do we become apathetic?
    The only reason l knew there was an election is the UKIP thread on here.
    I have to be honest, I couldn't be bothered to vote and even less bothered who won.
    When we opt for a simpler, stress reduced lifestyle do we run the risk of letting all manner of evil do it's worst?

Turning On
    your born, live a while, then die.....news, media, tv, politics..who really cares..really ?

not me
    The following users think this post is groovy: arrby, ian52hants

Ah found it! Moderator FriedOnion's Avatar
    I find it frustrating arguing with the daily mail crowd.
    (I know it has been posted before but it's awesome & we have new people)
    The following users think this post is groovy: BrightPlayful, Despoine, r3ubs

I have not seen this before. It is brilliant!
    "My religion is very simple. My religion is kindess."

It would not be unhealthy if the "news" were actually news and not the celebrity gossip it is these days.

I don't know but since I stopped watching the news and reading newspapers I feel a lot healthier
    Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

Turning On
    I stopped watching the news properly a long time ago for exactly the reasons everyone is saying and every so often when I do tune in for a specific reason or because I revisit the notion I'm reminded how full of crap it is.

Even the BBC's coverage I tend to find sensation rich and fact deficient.

Nothing is more alarming than when they report about something that you know and understand well, it's only then you realise just how terrible news reporting really is.

It's all very well saying that we can filter this stuff and I'm sure to some degree we can, but suggestion is a very powerful thing.

I've got an older relative who I love very much and she's pretty smart, but despite knowing the news is full of rubbish she still gets taken in by it and in my view, she forms a negatively weighted opinion about the world as a result.

Originally Posted by Paul
    I think so.

Nowadays I tend to shy away from the news - I don't read papers or watch TV news, and only rarely glimpse at internet sources if the stories are positive.

To me it's like we have a load of "doom and gloom" scouts, who go out into the far flung corners of the globe just to bring us tales of woe and despair, and figure that I don't want that level of negativity filtering into my life. I don't want more reasons to be angry, and if it's important enough it'll find its way to me anyway.

So, is this incredible diet of daily negativity bad for our souls, does it make us focus too much on the bad stuff in life, or is it necessary and mostly good? Maybe you're someone who prefers to stay informed of everything going on, regardless of its effect on your mood?
    Firstly, I think the news is a complete waste of airtime, but so is all mainstream television. I'm of the mindset that what you pay attention to determines your experience. I also know that a lot of good is happening in this world but that is never reported, of course they always end the news segment with a light-hearted news story but nothing with any REAL substance. Media is a key player when it comes to global consciousness and I just do not see, how being told about the bad things that happen day in day out benefit anyone. I see the news like many forms of media entertainment, purely a source of manipulation to control and influence the masses. A sad state of affairs!!!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Ecobob, Starling

I think that's the problem with the news for me- It's all about the ratings, and the stories with the most shock value get the airtime. When it isn't about the ratings it's used to manipulate public opinion. You cannot trust a word from mainstream media.

More often than not, the 'breaking news' comes from eye-witnesses via twitter anyway... Does the news on tv not seem a little redundant now in the internet age? Newspapers more-so.

I've never been happier since I stopped watching tv about 7 years ago. It's amazing how safe and sane the world feels when you haven't got some suit in the corner of your room barking an endless list of all the bad things happening in the world at you!

Saturating people with emergencies and crisis will only make them apathetic. Knowing something's going on does not constitute caring that it's happening. We need to be a little more selective on the information we take in if we want to actually get anything done.

You won't be uninformed as long as you remain independently interested in the world around you, and any crisis facing the things you care about won't go unnoticed if you actively remain interested and curious in it. Choose your own heros and villains I say
    The following users think this post is groovy: Starling

Chilling Out
    I haven't had UK terrestrial or satellite TV for over three years now, and I don't miss it AT ALL!

I already know that the world out there can be a terribly unjust and unhappy place. I don't need that confirmation brought to my attention every single day. Ultimately I can't change the world, so bad news is only ever going to distress me rather than enlighten me. What's the point in allowing negative energy to take its toll on me?

Most news and current affairs are poorly journalised anyway, which makes matters even worse. Depressing myself with distorted facts is a complete and utter waste of time, and a ball and chain to my potential happiness.

Why do I need to know that someone I've never even met, from a part of the world I have no intention of going has been mutilated for no apparent reason? Or that another country's politics have caused a coup that has killed 1000s of innocent people.

The news only focuses on fashionable events. Israel today, Zimbabwe and Mugabe tomorrow.

I'd much rather stream a really cool documentary, or watch an awe inspiring film.

You can't change the world - although it does change you!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Starling

bury your head then

Chilling Out

Originally Posted by Dave Flowerhead
    bury your head then

Very philosophical