Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it unhealthy to read/watch the news?

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Dave Flowerhead
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    bury your head then
    Or just listen/watch the news, read the papers and believe that everything they tell you is true...............

Originally Posted by seeker of truth
    Firstly, I think the news is a complete waste of airtime, but so is all mainstream television. I'm of the mindset that what you pay attention to determines your experience. I also know that a lot of good is happening in this world but that is never reported, of course they always end the news segment with a light-hearted news story but nothing with any REAL substance. Media is a key player when it comes to global consciousness and I just do not see, how being told about the bad things that happen day in day out benefit anyone. I see the news like many forms of media entertainment, purely a source of manipulation to control and influence the masses. A sad state of affairs!!!
    Well said.

Most of the news is manipulated to make us behave in a certain way, or make us accept things as the 'norm' just the same as the soaps and many other mainstream progs are also manufactured to do. but Hey if you fall for it them maybe you would be none the wiser and so it really wouldn't make much difference.
    On the other hand, you get programs like that Richplanet that gets the plug pulled because it gets a little 'edgy' or as I prefer to say 'close to home'. As they say the truth hurts.
    Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.
    The following users think this post is groovy: seeker of truth

Turning On

Originally Posted by seeker of truth
    Firstly, I think the news is a complete waste of airtime, but so is all mainstream television. I'm of the mindset that what you pay attention to determines your experience. I also know that a lot of good is happening in this world but that is never reported, of course they always end the news segment with a light-hearted news story but nothing with any REAL substance. Media is a key player when it comes to global consciousness and I just do not see, how being told about the bad things that happen day in day out benefit anyone. I see the news like many forms of media entertainment, purely a source of manipulation to control and influence the masses. A sad state of affairs!!!
    I like this, but I'm going to see it from another perspective.

What if it's not an evil conspiracy, what if it's not outside but within? What if we're the ones that need to choose whether we let sensational negativity into us, whether we let it influence us and change how we feel?

It seems to me that the mainstream is simply trying to give people what they want and it's resulted in a race to the bottom. It's not some evil conspiracy in charge of ratings, it's us. We have to elect not to let this sadness into our lives, we have to say "yes it's sensational, but it's not what I want, it does me no good".

I put it to you that when we stop watching the news for the right reasons, we are exercising our own power not to feed the negative forces inside ourselves.
    The following users think this post is groovy: FriedOnion, r3ubs

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    One word ....No ,or you will end up like my nitwit husband

The following users think this post is groovy: Dexter

People have a lust for bad news and sensational stories it's true. The media can't supply it fast enough. You have to wonder though, did it start with supply or demand first? Either way at some point the media caught on to the fact that bad news sells and ran with it.

But it's true to say that we have a choice whether to consume it or not. The other thing I've come to realise is that the majority of people in this country don't actually care if it's all a show. They're on the winning team! The game might be fixed, but you will never hear anyone who's winning cry that

It's comfortable, entertaining and it plugs you in to the same reality as your friends.
    The following users think this post is groovy: eyewil

The following users think this post is groovy: Angio, Despoine, firehazel, seeker of truth, stinkypete, uraniumwilly

Originally Posted by BrightPlayful
    I like this, but I'm going to see it from another perspective.

What if it's not an evil conspiracy, what if it's not outside but within? What if we're the ones that need to choose whether we let sensational negativity into us, whether we let it influence us and change how we feel?

It seems to me that the mainstream is simply trying to give people what they want and it's resulted in a race to the bottom. It's not some evil conspiracy in charge of ratings, it's us. We have to elect not to let this sadness into our lives, we have to say "yes it's sensational, but it's not what I want, it does me no good".

I put it to you that when we stop watching the news for the right reasons, we are exercising our own power not to feed the negative forces inside ourselves.

Hi BrightPlayful, I completely agree with this hence the point I made being that "what we pay attention to determines our experience"

the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar
    So, in the last few weeks, after deciding that Facebook was doing my head in (and I was responsible for allowing it to), I started to choose the "hide all stories" option for just about every Internet news source that popped up.

So no more BBC news, Guardian, Independent, Times, Huffington Post etc. and no more political rant sites or conspiracy sites either. (or football, but that's just my preference)

I then installed a browser addon called
    which has enabled me to also hide the "trending" links on the right of my browser. (I'd seriously recommend this)

So, no more news unless I choose to look at it.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Colin M

I've never heard of constructive journalism before today... I think it is the way forward!

"My religion is very simple. My religion is kindess."

I think newspapers are usefull all of them, I use them to make logs, wrap carboot stuff,clean windows and all kinds of other things.
    Live LIVELIFELOVE
    The following users think this post is groovy: Angio

I never watch the news, but I don't actively avoid it,.. I just never really think about it. I like to live in my own little bubble, I guess, and just try to enjoy life. I occasionally see some news here and there, but I guess I'm just not that interested in it. I don't feel like I can trust anything said by anyone in the media anyway lol, call me paranoid but theres always an alter motive, they're not doing it for our benefit, I can guarantee xD

I keep reading and keep becoming more depressed....perhaps there is a link

Maybe change is on the horizon

Jesus is not your friend Fire-Tree's Avatar

Originally Posted by r3ubs
    Maybe change is on the horizon

Didn't read the article, but positive news sounds good.

Heavenly Creature
    Drop the Dead Donkey, or A Very British Coup, showed how the media works. It's all propoganda and perception of selected images. Pesonally I don't watch tv, don't read papers, and if the news comes on the radio I shout "nah nah na nah nah" very loud so I can't hear it...

Yes I think it's bad for you

I hate hearing the news,i hate how its numbing us to the horrendous things happening in the world,i hate how they dont censor it at all and i for 1 have to turn off,or talk over it if its on in the car particularly,when i have young man in the car.x

Jesus is not your friend Fire-Tree's Avatar
    I find that most news is not news at all.

I read the news online, I find it entertaining. But I have the ability to look beyond it. I am concerned for those that watch it mindlessly.

Originally Posted by Fire-Tree
    I find that most news is not news at all.
    I don't know what you are on about... I mean, tonight on ITV we got several minutes of the news that Looci got back with her ex-boyfriend when theywere re-united on Take Me Out. What more do you want!?
    The following users think this post is groovy: Fire-Tree

Whos looci?
    see straight over my head,suppose shes a supposed celeb x

Heavenly Creature
    Looci is Thor's brother, oh no,
    that's Loki

Doh! as bad as me on the celeb thing x

Looci is just a random person on a cringe worthy dating show... and now on the 'news' as well.

Heavenly Creature
    Ah yes, the amalgam of news and celeb crap ......

The following users think this post is groovy: Fire-Tree

xx