THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it unhealthy to read/watch the news?

the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar

Is it unhealthy to read/watch the news?

I think so.

Nowadays I tend to shy away from the news - I don't read papers or watch TV news, and only rarely glimpse at internet sources if the stories are positive.

To me it's like we have a load of "doom and gloom" scouts, who go out into the far flung corners of the globe just to bring us tales of woe and despair, and figure that I don't want that level of negativity filtering into my life. I don't want more reasons to be angry, and if it's important enough it'll find its way to me anyway.

So, is this incredible diet of daily negativity bad for our souls, does it make us focus too much on the bad stuff in life, or is it necessary and mostly good? Maybe you're someone who prefers to stay informed of everything going on, regardless of its effect on your mood?
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, Boddhidharma, BrightPlayful, Despoine, mankhater, seeker of truth, Thistle, treestump, Uncle jhad, Wolf Angel

I agree that all the doom and gloom has to be unhealthy but the main reason i don`t watch any mainstream news is because it`s full of lies and manipulation and i can`t trust what i`m hearing anyway.

I do keep up with news stories on twitter and on the internet so i don`t shelter myself from it completely. On animal, human rights and environmental issues i want to maintain a certain level of anger at the world as it keeps me from getting too apathetic so i do expose myself to that but only in small doses or i`d end up jumping off the nearest cliff.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Boddhidharma, Despoine

I rarely buy newspapers, full of propaganda, trashy stories and depressing stuff. I only occasionally buy the "i" if I have a long lunch break at work and want to do the crossword/sudoku :P

I don't have a working TV at home, so don't watch the news, and from what I've seen on Swedish TV recently, I'm missing nothing. Full of doom and gloom. I do occasionally see news on the internet, and I too am choosy with what I read. But I do like to be aware of what is going on, both locally and nationally, as of course some of it may impact on me.
    Never Knowingly Understood
    The following users think this post is groovy: Duckman

I really think it does affect people - - now with the internet and all the hi tech satellite coms we get news much quicker and largely unedited. I know now that I seldom actually watch the TV news - and especially that rolling 24 hours a day crap.

That said who knows for sure what is government or other propaganda just leaked out to suit or indeed the non news stories given some credence on broadcast.

To many pluggers and publicity people.

to many years and my life is still, trying to get up that great big hill of HOPE

I just watch for the weather. lol.

Ok the news does get a bit doomy it does seem like wars just start and go on and on, so yeah its a bit bad but i censor stuff personally, like shit with childrens tv presenters, as that gutted me knowing that my beloved rolf and jimmie where bad uns, well rolf still had to be aquitted but the media world seems almost like the our eyes and ears and police court judge and executioner, almost like people love to hate people when they fall off there gold perches, like they llike to see a public hanging, and it never makes me feel better it just makes me feel sick, so i listen to stuff if on then switch over to a documentry or something.

We just cant fix all societies problems, and the news both local and national is always stabbings wars etc.

but its better than the smiling crap of this morning of itv i find that to dumbed down for my liking.

Be nice if there was an alternative news section, like and today the good new s section will be. but we cant turn our back on current affairs i am afraid.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Despoine

UK Hippy Reiki Doula Editor Sarah's Avatar
    i avoid doom and gloom wherever possible - don't watch or listen or read the news unless it is something that i feel compelled to look into...i don't want to be drip fed fear and hatred by mediocre journalists... Also it bugs me that the news is rarely news i want to know about...i will not be dictated to on the subjects that someone else considers newsworthy...plus the entire corporate global media is ultimately owned and controlled by one corporation...totally FUCK THAT SHIT!!! Last time i watched tv news my blood pressure shot up...absolutely its fucking terrible for your health!!!
    If we are to heal the planet, we must begin by healing birthing.

I like to stay informed, not kept in the dark. Not someones experiment telling me how to think, what to want to see, believe in. If you somehow adopted the censorship outlook your describing & applied it to UKH forum. You could end up removing just posts you disagreed with, instead of the thread which could be questioned. In no time at all it would become Pauls forum. Although in this censored format we are referring to, no one would be interested, they would rebel, the forum would collapse under the weight of its own bull-shit. Truth, awareness, openness, factual news, all help us to form a opinion of our world. Anything else is just half a picture. I have seen more of other peoples plight, suffering and lives in resent years, as there is a film camera in every village, every sinking ship, every crashing plane. There is an abundance or archive material that we still wait 30 years for it to enter the public domain.

30 years ago. Thatcher had a list of over 76 deep coal mines that she had earmarked for closure. Scargill questioned the then Government, who dismissed his claim. Saying that only 20 odd pits will be closed. The paper released this week confirms the claims made by Arther Scargill. Thatcher wanted to change the country, Wanted to win her war against the miners and censorship showed her the way.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Boddhidharma, Despoine, wombler

Got to agree with AW.
    News is available through lots of different agencies, with many different agendas, so pick and choose your sources, if you ignore the news you ignore the world. Without knowledge you can alter nothing and you will just be swilling about in your own make believe.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Daisysmum, Despoine, mankhater

Heavenly Creature
    Fully agree with AW and Mayfly. You just got to filter it through your own head and your own reasoning. There are plenty Indy web sites as well as the usual big propaganda ones; we're not stuck for choice - yet.

We don't have a tv at home, so we miss the usual crap, but it's quite an eye-opener when we visit with someone who has it turned on most of the waking hours - "You, like, sit and watch this garbage all day?"

Seems like some folks can't even switch it off when you visit them; they kind of reply slowly, intent on that imposing 42" screen. I wonder is it kind of dominating them?
    The following users think this post is groovy: mankhater

got to agree with AW & may, we have to filter it,
    they are counting on the thinking people ignoring all the crap they put out,
    personally i cant vote cos im NFA in a caravan & if i pop up to claim my vote
    shed loads of legal shite will land on my head,
    they count on shutting us up
    Please pay attention to what they are doing
    example japenese nuclear power station NOW polluting west coast of USA

just filter out the Bollox dont be a
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by revel; 04-01--2014 at 10:12 PM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Despoine, mankhater

I think it's our ease of access to constant news. Years back when you just had a few bulletins throughout the day, and the whole days news crammed into a 30 minute program....you listened to the news once and then moved on. But now we are just bombarded.

And if you dont like one news channel you can change to numerous from throughout the globe.

Also news travels so much faster, we hear more news, more quickly than ever before. This is why the whole 'wasn't like this in my day' rubs me up the wrong way....bad things always happened but with the speed that news travelled, you just didn't hear about it.

Yes I do think hearing all the bad news all the time does effect you, if I want to have a look at some news though, I usually read online because I can then pick and choose what I want to know about. But I also think knowledge is key too, so listen to the news now and again but dont constantly keep looking for it, so to speak.
    I'm succinct - not rude.

the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by cuckoo
    I think it's our ease of access to constant news. Years back when you just had a few bulletins throughout the day, and the whole days news crammed into a 30 minute program....you listened to the news once and then moved on. But now we are just bombarded.
    I think this is it. When I was younger I'd read the paper in the morning, maybe grab a bulletin or two on the radio, and that was about it. I could then choose whether to discuss it amongst friends, get involved in campaigns or simply dismiss it. Every so often there would be an issue so big it would be difficult to ignore, but for the large part that was it. I imagine that, a century ago or so we'd have even less news.

Nowadays with social media it's like we're force fed a constant stream of horrors we're being told we should be aware of. Friends post them up to spark discussion or gain sympathy/mutual anger etc. but it gets to a point where it's like 95% bad news being filtered into our heads every time we look at our phones or computers.

To me this differs from forums (although still in the same ball park), as we need to click a thread to read it - the stream from Social Media can be like a constant barrage.

Not Quite a Noobie
    Interesting one this - I have been a bit of a news addict for most of my adult life, especially BBC / Guardian. I used to moan at the young people I work with because they didn't have a clue about anything going on in the world. I regarded knowledge as power, and agreed that its all fed through capitalist corporations, but you could be picky and thoughtful and have your own response.

Lately I have been wondering exactly what the title says - is this constant stream of de-powering crap actually any good for me?The youth at work are happy not being engaged with news. Consequently I am weaning myself off it at the moment.

BTW the best guide to the weather is what is happening right now! It only changes slowly.

yer - definitely rots the soul - politics, mainstream sanitised news articles, world affairs - but filtering it yourself - tailoring it to your inclinations and aspirations - wont kill you i guess x

i read an eye opening book on media manipulation,with examples of the way words are twisted-legally and it has left me wary ever since..i do kinda cherry pick and avoid sensationalism but i would get depressed if i did not -its a balancing act

I try to keep abreast of what's going on in the world (good or bad). Normally if I see a headline that's particularly interesting I go to a lot of different sources and try to get a balanced view of the situation. I think that having knowledge of what's happening is empowering!
    Because you are alive, everything is posible - Thich Nhat Hanh
    The following users think this post is groovy: Despoine, mankhater

I'm a news addict, I have to have my morning fix, yet i come to the same conclusion every morning, its all doom and gloom. I have it on in the back ground in the morning now incase something important comes up, but i can't give it the attention I used to. It's simply too depressing. Now days I use online sources much more and try to keep an eye on the good stuff. 99% of the doom and gloom that comes through on mainstream news I can't do anything about, which add's the overwhelming sense of grey that the beeb are so good at painting. You get the odd good news story but know where near enough. I think the news should be split up, good stuff, bad stuff and the sport…SPORT! WHY IS SPORT ON THE NEWS!? At serious risk of a rant hear, i'll leave it there, lol.
    Taking Life To Seriously? Just Remember We Are Talking Monkeys On An Organic Spaceship.
    The following users think this post is groovy: mankhater

Originally Posted by Moon_Cheese
    I'm a news addict, I have to have my morning fix, yet i come to the same conclusion every morning, its all doom and gloom. I have it on in the back ground in the morning now incase something important comes up, but i can't give it the attention I used to. It's simply too depressing. Now days I use online sources much more and try to keep an eye on the good stuff. 99% of the doom and gloom that comes through on mainstream news I can't do anything about, which add's the overwhelming sense of grey that the beeb are so good at painting. You get the odd good news story but know where near enough. I think the news should be split up, good stuff, bad stuff and the sport…SPORT! WHY IS SPORT ON THE NEWS!? At serious risk of a rant hear, i'll leave it there, lol.
    the one thing i like about mainstream news [and perhaps particularly the beeb] is the news presenters' attitude - like: all of this shit is happening around me, but i'll sit here, calm and measured, til i get to something so trivial as the half-time score.. .. ..

I think that we all have to find a balance between knowing enough to be reasonably informed about the world we live in and not spending so much time watching bad shit happening that we become hopelessly pessimistic about the world. I have a pretty high tolerence for bad news without becoming to unhappy about it. I find reading a newspaper less depressing that watching TV. A lot of the TV reports from war zones often look like they have been set up by the TV crew. Does anyone remember "drop the dead donkey" which used to be on channel 4? I know that bad shit happens in Syria, Pakistan, wherever but i think that sometimes the pressure to generate content for 24hr news channels means that there is a lot of manipulation by the people reporting what is happening. They probably do have a genuine desire to highlight injustice in the world and shake up people.

Has anyone read the Iluminatus! trilogy, a hippy classic. If you read it you will be able to see the Fnords in the news.

Most days I try and get a brief overview of what's happening in the world in general, but prefer to keep it brief

Like many others I don't want to expose myself to too much doom and gloom, although I do tend to be a lot more thorough in reading animal welfare, human rights and environmental issues just as emmadilemma said at the start.

Occasionally something from the mainstream news will catch my attention, the last one I really followed intently up to about 6 months ago was the Annecy shootings.

- - - Updated - - -

Most days I try and get a brief overview of what's happening in the world in general, but prefer to keep it brief

Like many others I don't want to expose myself to too much doom and gloom, although I do tend to be a lot more thorough in reading animal welfare, human rights and environmental issues just as emmadilemma said at the start.

Occasionally something from the mainstream news will catch my attention, the last one I really followed intently up to about 6 months ago was the Annecy shootings.

I also tend to avoid news for the most part for all of the reasons mentioned so far- don't know what is truth and what is propaganda, what spin is being put on it and why, constant stream of negativity etc. It's refreshing to hear everybody's views on it and that I am not alone in my feelings, because my family all think that I am crazy
    "My religion is very simple. My religion is kindess."

Heavenly Creature
    I guess it depends, if your like me n think the news and newspapers are full of doom n gloom then its probably not worth watching!
    Wheather its unhealthy i guess comes down to how much it depresses you, or how much it affects your life

Nice to see we all have a healthy touch of cynicism when it comes to watching the news!! I agree with you guys, doom and gloom baby. That's why, if I do wanna know the news, I prefer reading the Inependent. It reads closely enough with my views, plus you can select (through reading) what you wanna know about.

I don't keep up with the news, if a piece of news is big/important enough chances are I will hear about it from somebody!

It does seem to be a bit "doom and gloom" although I guess with us living in a connected world there is more "doom and gloom" around?

As is the case with other posters I do not take everything I am told at face value...