THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it unhealthy to read/watch the news?

lone wolf survivalist.
    only ignore the news if you don't care what is going on in the world, I check the news daily to see what is going on or is likely to happen, just half an hour or so a day will suffice.
    my parents generation (WW2) always knew what was going on, but modern people don't seen to care. too busy with tablets and computer games I guess.

lone wolf survivalist.
    of course "normalcy bias" has a lot to do with it, if someone has never known hard times they aren't going to worry about them returning.

I try to catch the local news and headlines of the main news and certainly the weather but other than that do I give a fck on what some filmstar is doing or how some MP was politically incorrect or how Corbyn is a wanker. Life's too short to waste on such drivel. If something online catches my eye I'll look but other than that.
    Not all who wander are lost

Heavenly Creature

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by hagrid
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ...my parents generation (WW2) always knew what was going on...
    Or did they? State control of news content both through D notices and leaning on editors was the order of the day in the 50s and 60s and during WW2 you could add active propaganda and disinformation.

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by oldkeith
    If you are addicted to news, that is not very sensible, is it? Not many addictions are sensible, although I would consider an addition to news being amongst the less dangerous ones. Perhaps such people that you refer to are addicted to the anxiety state that the news produces in them, and constantly seek to reinforce this state? But is it just any news that produces such a state, or mostly propaganda?
    It is a question of degree. Just as you are what you eat, and you become the average of your friends and family, you're also what you do, and if that includes having a news channel on all day, you will be a different and I suggest a less contented person from the one who spends all day in the garden.

When news travelled slower, and the likes of you and me were illiterate peasants, were our lives poorer for want of news?

Transcending

Originally Posted by Brynhyffryd
    Or did they? State control of news content both through D notices and leaning on editors was the order of the day in the 50s and 60s and during WW2 you could add active propaganda and disinformation.
    It was also the era when the "Press Barons" printed newspapers for the influence it gave them, not for profit.

lone wolf survivalist.
    so what? its the 21st century if you hadn't noticed, we used to have "statesmen" now all we have are politicians.

I like to be kept up to date with the goings on in the world but I also find it very stressful at times. The world is beautiful but there are allot of Shitty people out there. It really depends on the story now and that is how I decide to read it or watch it.

lone wolf survivalist.
    we don't have any control on what happens elsewhere, we just have to deal with it in our own way. of course some can just refuse to look at the news but then there have always been people like that, when something happens they don't know about they will be taken by surprise but hey! that's their problem.

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by Boaty McBoatface
    It was also the era when the "Press Barons" printed newspapers for the influence it gave them, not for profit.
    Would that have been back in 2017?

Heavenly Creature
    Recent news shows how the press push the tory agenda. We've just had a massive "benefits shake-up", which is both nasty and vicious, yet all the press can go about is non news like gibralter and an easter egg-hunt

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by Uncle jhad
    Recent news shows how the press push the tory agenda. We've just had a massive "benefits shake-up", which is both nasty and vicious, yet all the press can go about is non news like gibralter and an easter egg-hunt
    Are the Spanish still banging on about Gibraltar, maybe they should give their little enclave in Africa back, and then allow the Catalan region to have its independence. The only reason we keep that lump of rock is because of its strategic position, otherwise it probably would have went back to Spain years ago.

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by rhythm
    Are the Spanish still banging on about Gibraltar, maybe they should give their little enclave in Africa back, and then allow the Catalan region to have its independence. The only reason we keep that lump of rock is because of its strategic position, otherwise it probably would have went back to Spain years ago.
    You prove my point, these insane welfare cuts have been ignored because of jingoism about gib, thankyou

Heavenly Creature

You prove my point, these insane welfare cuts have been ignored because of jingoism about gib, thankyou
    Under a Tory Government welfare cuts are inevitable, the people voted them in and now they have to live with the shitty consequences. It sucks with the Tories in power

lone wolf survivalist.
    Labour as it is at the moment wont be capable of winning an election, and probably wont be for a decade or more, and the Lib Dems don't have enough MP's to form a committee meeting never mind a government.
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland

Turning On
    One time news readers were instructed to deliver the news in an inpartial way,watch the old BBC news reports,they are done with a straight face and with the same tonal voice.
    These days its all shock horror and WTF going to happen if.... followed by the cat rescue. ahhh
    So no I would not watch the news.

lone wolf survivalist.
    news readers are there to read the news and nothing more, but these days they are so insistent on giving their own opinion, and the BBC has such a left leaning bias its painful to watch.

Heavenly Creature

news readers are there to read the news and nothing more, but these days they are so insistent on giving their own opinion, and the BBC has such a left leaning bias its painful to watch.
    How come the BBC have such a Left-learning bias that they are always damning Corbyn? And his supporters?
    I see the BBC trying to preserve the status quo, the neo-liberals of the EU persuasion, and the neo-liberal Blairites in the Labour Party, for example. Perhaps you see them differently?

lone wolf survivalist.

Originally Posted by oldkeith
    How come the BBC have such a Left-learning bias that they are always damning Corbyn? And his supporters?
    I see the BBC trying to preserve the status quo, the neo-liberals of the EU persuasion, and the neo-liberal Blairites in the Labour Party, for example. Perhaps you see them differently?
    I see the BBC as nothing more than a propaganda machine, but with a left leaning influence, 9 months after the referendum they are still producing negative reports. they should be backing Britain but they are not.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Miss_bee

Heavenly Creature

I see the BBC as nothing more than a propaganda machine, but with a left leaning influence, 9 months after the referendum they are still producing negative reports. they should be backing Britain but they are not.
    The BBC produces a lot of good programmes, but I can't wait for the day when they are told to fund themselves and stop forcing the public to pay for them.

The following users think this post is groovy: Offgrid hero

Heavenly Creature

The BBC produces a lot of good programmes, but I can't wait for the day when they are told to fund themselves and stop forcing the public to pay for them.
    So then the ones who already own the rest of the media can own the bbc too

Heavenly Creature

So then the ones who already own the rest of the media can own the bbc too
    Be better funded on a subscription based model, people who want it pay, people who don't want it do not have to pay

The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra

Heavenly Creature

Be better funded on a subscription based model, people who want it pay, people who don't want it do not have to pay
    Like Sky?

Heavenly Creature

Like Sky?
    The whole issue being that people who do not wish to fund the BBC, should not have to

The following users think this post is groovy: Uncle jhad