THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive at the current donation rate! We currently have over 17000 members & if everyone donated we would never need to ask for money again. Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford it please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11

Thread: Is it unhealthy to read/watch the news?

lone wolf survivalist.
    Sex
    Male
    only ignore the news if you don't care what is going on in the world, I check the news daily to see what is going on or is likely to happen, just half an hour or so a day will suffice.
    my parents generation (WW2) always knew what was going on, but modern people don't seen to care. too busy with tablets and computer games I guess.
    " Does not suffer fools gladly!"

lone wolf survivalist.
    Sex
    Male
    of course "normalcy bias" has a lot to do with it, if someone has never known hard times they aren't going to worry about them returning.

Sex
    Male
    I try to catch the local news and headlines of the main news and certainly the weather but other than that do I give a fck on what some filmstar is doing or how some MP was politically incorrect or how Corbyn is a wanker. Life's too short to waste on such drivel. If something online catches my eye I'll look but other than that.
    Not all who wander are lost

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by hagrid
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ...my parents generation (WW2) always knew what was going on...
    Or did they? State control of news content both through D notices and leaning on editors was the order of the day in the 50s and 60s and during WW2 you could add active propaganda and disinformation.

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by oldkeith
    If you are addicted to news, that is not very sensible, is it? Not many addictions are sensible, although I would consider an addition to news being amongst the less dangerous ones. Perhaps such people that you refer to are addicted to the anxiety state that the news produces in them, and constantly seek to reinforce this state? But is it just any news that produces such a state, or mostly propaganda?
    It is a question of degree. Just as you are what you eat, and you become the average of your friends and family, you're also what you do, and if that includes having a news channel on all day, you will be a different and I suggest a less contented person from the one who spends all day in the garden.

When news travelled slower, and the likes of you and me were illiterate peasants, were our lives poorer for want of news?

Transcending
    Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by Brynhyffryd
    Or did they? State control of news content both through D notices and leaning on editors was the order of the day in the 50s and 60s and during WW2 you could add active propaganda and disinformation.
    It was also the era when the "Press Barons" printed newspapers for the influence it gave them, not for profit.

lone wolf survivalist.
    Sex
    Male
    so what? its the 21st century if you hadn't noticed, we used to have "statesmen" now all we have are politicians.