THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: How to be Free

How to be Free

by Tom Hodgkinson. Anyone read it? It's been a good read so far.

The commercial world, then, treats us like celebrities - 'Because you're worth it,' it says. It flatters and kowtows to us and keeps on doing so right up until the moment when we hand over our credit-card details. Then we are cast aside and condemned to a purgatory of being held in a queue on a customer service line for all eternity. What fools we are.
    I could quote the whole book, so far
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    "We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams"
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, MrsP, oddballdave, wormsrpeople2

Heavenly Creature
    No but I loved his How to be Idle book...............I will check it out.........

Reserved at the library.
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Originally Posted by Starling
    by Tom Hodgkinson. Anyone read it? It's been a good read so far.

I could quote the whole book, so far
    Yeah, but how did he pay for his smoking-jacket? As he says he wears one when he writes. It's not that I love my job it's just, how else am I going to pay for mine?
    The following users think this post is groovy: darrrren

I have read this as well as How To Be Idle. Absolutely brilliant, very affirming to our lifestyles and philosophies

If I had one criticism it would be the underlying religious agenda running through the book, you don't need to read too far before you notice the pro-catholicism slant. Seems to jarr with the rest of Hodgkinson's manifesto but it didn't spoil it for me.
    Recommended reading though!

Yeah I have read a few of his books...very funny author!
    I am He as You are He as You are Me and We are All Together

I had both books,but my brother "borrowed"them about 5yrs ago,i did read them tho,yeh,good x

Originally Posted by ayami
    Yeah, but how did he pay for his smoking-jacket? As he says he wears one when he writes. It's not that I love my job it's just, how else am I going to pay for mine?
    Exactly my mindset lately, thinking the same thing, surely it requires a bit of dosh.

Not read it but it is on my list. Currently reading The Man who Quit Money by Mark Sundeen. A friend also suggested the paper Silent weapons for Quiet wars but not looked at that yet.

I have just reserved How to Be Free from my local library, on ebook!

I have also just reserved this at my local library.

paul
    PⒶUL

Got my ebook copy today, hate reading on my pc though!

Yes. I finished reading it a week or so ago and it is one of those books I might well buy a copy because it is quite inspirational. A lot of it is obvious really but sometimes you just need someone to point them out to you.

Very easy to read and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to live a simpler life that doesn't revolve around money.

9/10

I also have the idle one from the library to read now once I have finished The man who quit money which is fascinating.

paul
    PⒶUL

I didn't get on very well with it, I think because it was an ebook and could only read it on my laptop. I actually prefer to read ebooks on my phone but couldn't with the library one. Will have to give it another try.

I am reading Small is Beautiful which is referenced in How To be free. Amazing as it was written in the 70's

I have read The man who quit money. It was very interesting and the religious aspect wasn't too bad.

I have to say I haven't stepped foot in a library since I was about 10. Fantastic! Can order any book from the county for free. They have also bought the Moneyless Man as they didn't have a copy which should be in next week!