THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Is it possible to resume feeding?

Is it possible to resume feeding?

Baby is 8 weeks old, i fed for first two days. Is it possible to start feeding again this late on?

UK Hippy Reiki Doula Editor Sarah's Avatar
    yes it is lovely but you will need some really good support from a lactation consultant - your health visitor/midwives should be able to put you intouch with your local lactation consultant - getting peer support to help you through will be crucial aswell but its not something that just peer support can help with on its own. You may need a galactagogue such as domperidone to boost your supply and will need help with getting baby to latch on properly and when to pump etc. It will involve keeping baby in as much skin as skin as humanly possible and expressing/pumping to build your supply back up. I know of many women who have not been able to breastfeed initially for a variety of reasons but with excellent support from lactation consultants and peer support, have been able to initiate breastfeeding.. some even managing to exclusively breastfeed after a time.. so it definatley can be done
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    goodluck xxxxx ps i am a doula and breastfeeding peer supporter xxxxx
    If we are to heal the planet, we must begin by healing birthing.
    The following users think this post is groovy: dreamsoffreedom, winter

Thank-you Sarah, i have a supply hand expressed 2oz off each but baby not interested in latching he becomes worked up and heart broken. Is this common?

go right back to square one lovely... Get naked with your baby and pop him on your stomach between your breasts as much as possible...do this when he is alert but not into advanced hunger queues...catch him just when he is starting to show early hunger queues...let him move about and find your breast himself. You need to get on to a lactation consultant right away. It's difficult to advise through the internet and an LC will be able to work with you to get him latched on...they can provide sumplementary nursing systems for example that might help. Big big loves, you are amazing for wanting to do this and it is totally possible but getting the right support is crucial and as soon as possible xxxx keep expressing as much as you can, sate his immediate hunger then offer breast when he less agitated xxxx
    The following users think this post is groovy: dreamsoffreedom

I don't have any experience of restarting feeding but I did breastfeed my first for a year & the second for 8 months. I think it's great that you're trying again, I didn't even know it was possible so good on you. With my son (first baby) it was pretty easy, he'd have been on the boob 24 hours a day if I'd let him but with my daughter (second baby), it took quite a while for things to get going. She just never seemed to want to latch on & when she did she took ages to settle into it. It was quite the battle but we got there in the end. So my only advice is to have lots & lots of patience & as Sarah said, lots of skin to skin contact. However you feed, that's always a good thing but I imagine it would really help with restarting. Good luck, I hope it all works out for you. Ah, you've made me go all misty eyes about my long hours cuddling/feeding my now two grown up babies.
    The following users think this post is groovy: SUNSHINE AND CO

EDIT: Just realised this thread is old now, so my reply isn't timely, but thought I'd leave it up in case someone reads later.

I asked this question of my GP, after my first child, when she was about the same age as yours. The GP told me with a big smile that it was totally possible and to just try feeding and it would happen. I tried and tried and tried. It never happened. That really broke my heart, I cried so much because I had expected it to work for certain and it didn't. If I were to ever try to do this again I'd be searching out a lactation consultant right from the offing and I'd be a lot kinder to myself if it didn't come together- you can't always decide for your body what it will do- if it wont co-operate that's nothing to blame yourself for.

Update little baby is now 7 months and I managed some what he now has around 6oz expressed and 7/8 oz formula per day never really got him latching properly.

hugs xxxxx that is amazing that you are managing to express what you are - massive well done for persevering with the expressing - it is a wonderful thing you are doing for your son xxxxx