THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Campus novel

Campus novel

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm a sucker for these novels, perhaps cause I never went to University, I know, its hard to believe! But what I like about it is, it's a window on a World I know nothing about.
    Anyone read any of the novels listed? If so, any you'd recommend?

Chilling Out
    I'd say the earliest "campus novel" may be Zuleika Dobson by Max Beerbohm, first published in 1911 and set entirely at the University of Oxford. It's a sophisticated comic novel which has worn quite well. A challenge for campus novels is to make the characters seem sufficiently intellectual, which is why they are often written by academics. Of the novels listed, I've read and enjoyed Lucky Jim, Small World, Trading Places, The History Man and Pnin. CS Lewis's That Hideous Strength could also be classed as a campus novel - it certainly includes some sharply-observed satire on academic life.
    The following users think this post is groovy: ayami

Chilling Out
    I tell a lie - an even earlier campus novel is Tom Brown at Oxford by Thomas Hughes, an 1861 sequel to Tom Brown's Schooldays. No idea what it's like (I've only ever met one person who's read it) but it's freely downloadable from
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    The following users think this post is groovy: ayami