THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: The art of Zen by Alan Watts, anyone read it?

The art of Zen by Alan Watts, anyone read it?

Just wondering if anybodys read this? I'm quite into his talks so i thought why not grab a book by him, although i've read that his books are harder to read than it is to listen to him. Worth a go anyway, im missing a good book from my life at the moment so thought this might be something i could get into. Good day all.

Not Quite a Noobie
    I think Alan Watts is wonderful and am only sad I discovered him in middle age. I could have done with his wisdom and teachings earlier in my life. I read this book and think it is excellent. In it, he gives a history and summary of Eastern philosophy and in the second part, he gives practical advice on living and all done in his own straightforward and gentle style. Enjoy!

Lots of his stiff on u tube , its worth a listen .
    Does anything in life realy matter as long as the Kettles still working .

I do listen to his stuff on a regular basis, i'm just wondering if it's as good to read. Hopefully my book will be delivered soon so i can give it a go.

Only just came across him on YouTube this week!
    Fantastic guy! Reminds of terrence mckenna! X
    Turning on, tuning in and dropping out..
    The following users think this post is groovy: CrimsonKing

My friend recommended "The Wisdom of Insecurity". I was thinking about getting hold of that soon.
    "We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams"

Not heard of Terrence, but Alan Watts i think is amazing. I tell you what Carly, you get that book then when were done we can do a swap if you want, then swap em back at the end. Save ourselves a few quid lol. Is that more self help orientated? I get quite anxious, i have a whole shelf of self help books, courtesy of my parents *rolls eyes*
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by darrrren
    Not heard of Terrence, but Alan Watts i think is amazing. I tell you what Carly, you get that book then when were done we can do a swap if you want, then swap em back at the end. Save ourselves a few quid lol. Is that more self help orientated? I get quite anxious, i have a whole shelf of self help books, courtesy of my parents *rolls eyes*
    I think it might cost us more in postage that way! It does sound like self-help. Sounds like you could do with adding it to your collection?? Who's Carly, btw?

It may well do, i don't think it would be too much. I probably could do with adding it, i just don't help myself as you can see, i could of sworn you told me your name was Carly or Melissa, my head went blank and iv'e just looked through and now i cant find the message? Or have i gone insane? How embaressing, i'm very sorry
    . I swear there was a message.

It could be Carly. It could also be Melissa.....
    The following users think this post is groovy: beachcomber, Paranoid Eyes