THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: shes at peace now

lone wolf survivalist.
    isn't that the truth! ours was a week short of her 14th birthday.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    very sorry to hear that pete
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

So sorry..

Very sorry to hear of your loss.
    They are your knowing soulmate and shadow arnt they.Complete understanding and affinity.When my beloved old matriarch passed on,my younger lurcher sank into a 6 month depression,looking for her,so sad to see.Even now 6 years on he still sees a similiar hound and you can see he is hopefull it is her.Apart from the soul connection with us ,they are united with each other also.Now they are together,flying about.I am so sad for your pain stinkypete it is just awful.I hope you may find some comfort in that all of us here who have been owned and soul shared the path with hounds, understand and send you warmth and love.x
    The following users think this post is groovy: FriedOnion

so sorry for your loss x it's horrid when they pass x

onsecondthoughtswtf stinkypete1's Avatar
    stinkypete1 AKA stinkypete Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts,she was so loving of everybody and any dog,
    My first thought was to get another dog soon but at the moment my thoughts are I can never replace her,I got her because durban my other staffy was ill and I didnt want to be without a dog, what happened is that she gave durbs a new lease on her life,they had their differences and went through six months of fur flying but they sorted things out, no fun being elbow deep in staffy scrapping though,Noodlesgot me through a 20 year relationship breakdown and she was my best friend,when i was out with her a nod was all it took for her to know what i wanted her to do or which way to go. She has taken a very big part of me with her, but I want that part to stay with her ..

We lost my little mate Oliver a few weeks back, he had a stroke one Sunday morning. I will never get another dog, too much heartache but also (and this might sound cynical) I couldn't afford the vet's bills.

For the last year of his life his medication was 75 a week which my step daughter paid. To just walk into the vet's was over 100. His last visit was 400 and it took about twenty minutes.
    The following users think this post is groovy: likahamadoolihan

Pet insurance

Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

At least you kept him bernie. Theres too many wankers who just put them down or dump them when they get ill.

Originally Posted by Sootyfoot
    Pet insurance
    He had pet insurance when he was younger (my step daughter paid for it) but as soon as he got older and the problems start the insurance goes through the roof. Its basically a scam
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Offgrid hero

onsecondthoughtswtf stinkypete1's Avatar

Originally Posted by Rick69
    At least you kept him bernie. Theres too many wankers who just put them down or dump them when they get ill.
    I thought long and hard before replying to your comment because I had noodles put to sleep and it was the hardest mindfucking life destroying decision that i ever had to make and was anti everything that makes me who i am and threw me down to the darkest loneliest corner of existence ready to destroy my life also, noodles was very very poorly to the point that my once beautiful friend was barely able to walk and reduced to laying in her own shit and piss,I laid by her side holding her for two days before i got the vet to come and give her peace from her pain, so I found your comment insensitive and unnecessary no matter your motive for posting it. peace

Originally Posted by stinkypete1
    I thought long and hard before replying to your comment because I had noodles put to sleep and it was the hardest mindfucking life destroying decision that i ever had to make and was anti everything that makes me who i am and threw me down to the darkest loneliest corner of existence ready to destroy my life also, noodles was very very poorly to the point that my once beautiful friend was barely able to walk and reduced to laying in her own shit and piss,I laid by her side holding her for two days before i got the vet to come and give her peace from her pain, so I found your comment insensitive and unnecessary no matter your motive for posting it. peace
    I think you need to re read Ricks post "in the manner and the spirit" that it was meant.......just sayin

Peace

It certainly wasnt meant like it appears that you took it. Imagine a dog getting old or ill and keeping it for as long as possible looking after it whilst it wasnt suffering, spending time and money caring for it. Thats what you did.

Imagine the same dog gets old or ill and you think fuck that and get it put down. Thats what some do.

There is clearly a difference, however if its upset you in any way then i apologise.
    The following users think this post is groovy: groove, Sootyfoot, wurzel

i've had 2 dogs euthanised due to ill health but the hardest was a horse, she was old and sick and because she had been on bute she couldn't go into the animal food chain.........so it was a shot to the head rather than an injection.........and to the hunt............hardest thing i have ever done in relation to animal welfare..........

(and i know i'm gonna get abuse for this post already)

Originally Posted by groove
    i've had 2 dogs euthanised due to ill health but the hardest was a horse, she was old and sick and because she had been on bute she couldn't go into the animal food chain.........so it was a shot to the head rather than an injection.........and to the hunt............hardest thing i have ever done in relation to animal welfare..........

No abuse from me lass, you did the kindest but hardest thing a human can do

Heavenly Creature

You did the best thing for her.
    Can I ask (if it's not too raw) if she was on medication already, why one final injection would make any difference?

Originally Posted by vanwoman84
    You did the best thing for her.
    Can I ask (if it's not too raw) if she was on medication already, why one final injection would make any difference?
    dollars.........the injection and cremation is so expensive for an animal that size and i simply couldn't afford it.........because of the cushings and the meds she has been on she couldn't go into the food chain..........but she could go to the hunt dogs......

it's a world a lot of people don't understand and just see it from an 'ethical' POV, but when you live in that world, it's different.......she was still too sick to see another winter out, whichever way you sliced it.........you learn to do what needs to be done.........she came into the world a gypsy horse and she went out the same way..........but gave people a lot of pleasure in her 25+ years, she couldn't keep any weight on in the end and if i had put on all her rugs to keep her warm she would have collapsed, she was going down in the stable when she fell asleep as it was and skinning her hip bones on the walls each time. it was time for her.
    best horse ever, taught my daughter to trust and to ride, taught me how to drive.
    RIP, Rosie-Ro x
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Sootyfoot, wurzel

Yes, why do equine vets cost like three times or more, than other vets? Is it because the horsey set are supposed to be minted?, therefore can afford it?

Heavenly Creature parrotandcrow's Avatar
    I also had a horse shot by the hunt, Groove, and for much the same reasons.

I think you are right about vets and the horsey set, though Sooty.
    If men bore wings and had black feathers, few would be intelligent enough to be crows.
    The following users think this post is groovy: groove, wurzel

That's the hardest part, having to make that decision. In Ollie's case there was no decision, he had a stroke, but I will never have another dog.

This may not come out sounding the way I want it to sound but I am going to say it anyway. When my son died it was like the world stopped turning. I have never and I will never get over it. But I knew that everybody did absolutely everything possible. When he went, we were crying, the doctors were crying, the nurses were crying and we were allowed to sit with him for hours and hours afterwards.

When Ollie had his stroke the vet was saying " we could try this, that's 2000 or we could send him to here, that would be 3,500. so we had to say no end it. OK she said that's 240

Then she said, like 20seconds after giving him the injection, do you want to take him with you? Or disposal is 200 or we have a good deal with a pets crematorium that's 800. Callous and we were out the door 440 lighter and never had a chance to say goodbye to the old fella.

gutted he was my best mate
    Last edited by Bernie; 12-05--2017 at 11:43 PM.

Originally Posted by Sootyfoot
    Yes, why do equine vets cost like three times or more, than other vets? Is it because the horsey set are supposed to be minted?, therefore can afford it?
    people with horses:
    are invariably skint. and their cars are sheds and they are always smelly and dirty and have hay in their underwear and splinters and thorns, usually shit in their hair...........and are mostly knackered and usually have at least one injury on the go, but happy.

because they have horses.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Sootyfoot

absolutely not from me, big hug, I know how much it hurts xxx

Originally Posted by Bernie
    That's the hardest part, having to make that decision. In Ollie's case there was no decision, he had a stroke, but I will never have another dog.

This may not come out sounding the way I want it to sound but I am going to say it anyway. When my son died it was like the world stopped turning. I have never and I will never get over it. But I knew that everybody did absolutely everything possible. When he went, we were crying, the doctors were crying, the nurses were crying and we were allowed to sit with him for hours and hours afterwards.

When Ollie had his stroke the vet was saying " we could try this, that's 2000 or we could send him to here, that would be 3,500. so we had to say no end it. OK she said that's 240

Then she said, like 20seconds after giving him the injection, do you want to take him with you? Or disposal is 200 or we have a good deal with a pets crematorium that's 800. Callous and we were out the door 440 lighter and never had a chance to say goodbye to the old fella.

gutted he was my best mate
    so sorry to read this, but if i can pick up on one part, the way vets deal with the family of the euthanised animal has to change.
    when i took my dog Fen to the vet for the last time, we sat in the waiting room with all the other people and their animals, little children with bunny rabbits in boxes etc, then we went through a single door, and my crying must have been heard, then i emerged crying with no dog and was immediately asked how i would like to pay.

this is wrong, in these situations there should at least be a back door and a different counter to pay or be billed a couple of days later.
    it's hard enough saying goodbye but that kind of pressure makes it so much harder.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Daisysmum, nicklincs, Sootyfoot

so sorry to read this, but if i can pick up on one part, the way vets deal with the family of the euthanised animal has to change.
    when i took my dog Fen to the vet for the last time, we sat in the waiting room with all the other people and their animals, little children with bunny rabbits in boxes etc, then we went through a single door, and my crying must have been heard, then i emerged crying with no dog and was immediately asked how i would like to pay.

this is wrong, in these situations there should at least be a back door and a different counter to pay or be billed a couple of days later.
    it's hard enough saying goodbye but that kind of pressure makes it so much harder.
    That Is Soooo True ...They Really Be Needing To Change How To Treat The Family After Such Heartbreak And Loss So There Should Be Different Room Area And Different Way To Leave And Payment A Few Days Later Ect But No Doubt They Fear People Not Paying As Sadly There Would Be Many Who Do That ...And Because Of A Few Sadly Many Of Us Have To Suffer More And Things Made Harder
    Because It Is Sooo Many Questions Fired At Our Hearts Within Few Minutes Of Their Beating Hearts No More ...They Say "What Do You Want Done With Their Body ..Cremation..And Say The Costs...Or Do You Want To Take Them With You? If You Want Us To Do It Then No Cost Etc .Etc Etc Its All To Much And Then As Soon As You Step Outside As You Say Everybody Looks As They Can See Our Hurt Heartbreak And Tears And Loss Then Straight Away We Have To Pay ....Its Like Heartbreak Emotional Pain Overload...Its Too Much To Hear And Cope With All At One Within A Few Minutes .... So Yes I Think This Defo Needs To Be Done ...But Sadly I Cannot See It Happening Anytime Soon
    Form From The Void & Mists
    The following users think this post is groovy: nicklincs