THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The mature hippy

as I'm very fond of telling my "hippy" neice who tells me I'm to old to do most of the things I do, growing old isnt an option, growing up, I didnt tick that box......., she just shakes her head and walks away
    enjoying life in the "slow"lane
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, Danann, Elder Flower, FriedOnion

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by agrimog
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    as I'm very fond of telling my "hippy" neice who tells me I'm to old to do most of the things I do, growing old isnt an option, growing up, I didnt tick that box......., she just shakes her head and walks away
    I Did Not And Do Not Tick That Box Either haha
    And ..Your Neice Sounds Exactly like My Grown Up Daughter ....But Instead Of
    "Getting The Shaking Of The Head As She Walks Alway" ..
    I Get ..
    "The Eye Roll Before She Walks Away Treatment Instead .haha
    ..Which Then Off Course Starts Me Off Giggling And Earns Me Another "Eye Roll" hahaha
    Form From The Void & Mists
    The following users think this post is groovy: Angio, ayr vanabond, cricket, Elder Flower, greenvanman, patchypete

Transcending
    Yeah ya hav to grow old ya dont have to grow up! I wear the same type of things evry day. Combats (shorts or trousers) t shirts an a fleece if its cold. Saves a lot of time workin out wot 2 wear. Feel sorry for them on the fashion treadmill! Thats not a dig at personal style. I mean them wot wear wot fashion tells em not wot they want to.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Angio, Danann, patchypete

Not Quite a Noobie Elder Flower's Avatar
    Well, I am 64 and wearing long skirts, colourful T-shirts and crocheted whatever I think at the time. Some things - it has to be said are better on another age of person. But the original hippy clothes style can be modified to suit. Maybe flat bum in jeans isn't really the thing, and creases down the front may be
    a DEf NO NO. But you know - does it really matter eh? Cover the bits at look better covered and be serviceable in the long run. No one is going to stop you in the street and tell you that you look trash. PLEASE yourself, be comfortable. I go about as I go about. People think I might be "odd".... I don't care any more. I am not dressing to please them and I can always offer to hex them!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Angio, ayr vanabond, beadyjean, cricket, Danann, etherea, glowingsunsets, Maggi, patchypete, Sharon

Originally Posted by Elder Flower
    Well, I am 64 and wearing long skirts, colourful T-shirts and crocheted whatever I think at the time. Some things - it has to be said are better on another age of person. But the original hippy clothes style can be modified to suit. Maybe flat bum in jeans isn't really the thing, and creases down the front may be
    a DEf NO NO. But you know - does it really matter eh? Cover the bits at look better covered and be serviceable in the long run. No one is going to stop you in the street and tell you that you look trash. PLEASE yourself, be comfortable. I go about as I go about. People think I might be "odd".... I don't care any more. I am not dressing to please them and I can always offer to hex them!
    Hahahahahaha "hex them" hahaha....that was sooo funny...funny
    ))
    And I think it was really cool and very true what you say .
    )
    Form From The Void & Mists

Noobie
    Hey I am 59 and still dress what suits,or not,, you are accepted or not what does it matter so long as it makes you happy,wits for what or who girl?
    The following users think this post is groovy: Angio, ayr vanabond, Danann, Elder Flower

Noobie

YOU

perfect bird lol!

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
    With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
    And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
    And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
    I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
    And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
    And run my stick along the public railings
    And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
    I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
    And pick flowers in other people's gardens
    And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
    And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
    Or only bread and pickle for a week
    And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
    And pay our rent and not swear in the street
    And set a good example for the children.
    We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
    So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
    When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

The following users think this post is groovy: Angio, ayr vanabond, beadyjean, Brynhyffryd, Colin M, Danann, Elder Flower, patchypete, Sharon

I wear whatever I please. Normally long skirts with dock martins or converse style boots or sneakers. My hair is very red right now so yeah, age is no barrier to being true to who you are. Oh you have to see the bright red duffle coat that I found in Oxfam the other day. Fucking outstanding!
    Because you are alive, everything is posible - Thich Nhat Hanh
    The following users think this post is groovy: Angio, ayr vanabond, Cobra, Daisysmum, Elder Flower, patchypete

Not Quite a Noobie Elder Flower's Avatar

Originally Posted by etherea
    I wear whatever I please. Normally long skirts with dock martins or converse style boots or sneakers. My hair is very red right now so yeah, age is no barrier to being true to who you are. Oh you have to see the bright red duffle coat that I found in Oxfam the other day. Fucking outstanding!
    Sounds like my sort of clobber - love charity shops - and EBAY. I am toying with the idea of wearing lots of skirts all at once for winter. The "sane" can't avoid me more than they do when I am plucking and devouring fusia seed pods from peoples gardens!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Angio, ayr vanabond, Sharon

In winter I just add long underwear and a long coat to whatever I'm wearing. I have a large assortment of hats and scarves to match and.........................voila, hot to trot as they say

Got to bring my wellies up from the allotment before we get snow or rain though. They're cool as fuck - bright colours with swirls and butterflies on.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Angio, ayr vanabond, Cobra, Elder Flower, patchypete, Sharon

Wearing the duffle coat this morning! Little pleasures and all that
    The following users think this post is groovy: Elder Flower

Heavenly Creature
    Had to go to a 'Church Community Meal' last night. Got dragged into it a bit, as someone who was scheduled to go was working, and I'm not religious. But our crew in the residents association were invited to send two representatives, and nobody else wanted to go. So we went, and it wasn't too bad, even a veggie alternative, which we had, although we aren't veggie.

The best thing was that my missus dressed in a caftan and sandals, which suited her nicely, and I was reminded of the hippy gal I teamed up with way back in 1979...

The following users think this post is groovy: Angio, ayr vanabond, Cobra, Elder Flower, FriedOnion, glowingsunsets, hardworkinghippy, ma bungo, marshlander, Sharon

When you get to 60 you wear what you damned well like. I long since gave up on caring what others think, so dress for me, not them.

Tim.
    The following users think this post is groovy: ayr vanabond, beadyjean, hagrid, marshlander, nicklincs, oldkeith, piginthemiddle, Sharon

I want to be a hippy...

Heavenly Creature

the clothing banks are gone. I shall have to buy some clothes soon. Not done that in years....

Be prepared for a shock in the hike in prices in the charity shops! I find car boot sales a better place these days. People who are selling off old loved clothes are generally not looking for a great deal of money for them.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Daisysmum, Elder Flower, GivingItThought

oh, nearly forgot, it's helpful if you sew. If I see a fabric or style I like but it's far too big I redesign. I don't mind wearing a size or two big but sometimes a wee adjustment is required.
    The following users think this post is groovy: GivingItThought

Heavenly Creature
    I do sew, and often repaired things like seams on the stuff I found by the clothing banks. That's my limit though, I wouldn't redesign anything. That said, if it's redesign or buy something, I could well redesign...

That's it exactly.....................needs must

lone wolf survivalist.
    my fathers favourite saying always was :" what would the neighbours think?" my dad....the proverbial straight!!
    I've never given a damn about what others thought of me, I wear what I like, which is mainly denim.
    "growing old is mandatory, growing UP is not!"

unleash my pharma powers! Daisysmum's Avatar
    Your Dad sounds like my Mum.
    She's 83 and she's still the type of person who cleans the house before the home help comes round in case they think its dirty and tell people.
    I remember being sent to school with my hair all ribbons and poshed up. I wasn't that sort of kid. It was for a school photo and the kids all swapped pictures with their pals. Instead of having 'pretty' hair I had a photo like I had been dragged through a bush. She was furious. HER kid looking a mess. She cut my hair so short I could never do that again. Next photo everyone thought I was a boy

Even now with AMD she can still see well enough to tell me my hair looks a mess whenever she sees me because I've never embraced the world of hairspray and poodle perms.
    One day when she asks me (never having forgiven me for ditching psychology) 'so are you going to work in a chemists when you graduate?' I'm not going to bite my tongue I'll say 'No, Mum I might just have a career selling drugs' and see what happens.....

As for what I wear well....most of it still annoys my Mum. I spent 10 years in and out of swimsuits and wetsuits but now - docs, jeans, jumpers, lab coats very stylish....
    Last edited by Daisysmum; 23-08--2016 at 03:40 PM.

I wear pretty stereotypical hippy clothes - jeans and vests, long flowing dresses and skirts, rainbow colours, docs, dreads.. For a good few years now people have given me clothes on a regular basis. They're always coming up to me with clothes saying 'I really love this... I've had it years.... but I'll never wear it... I don't have the balls/confidence...... but I know you will wear it... '. And so I hardly ever have to buy any clothes! It's ace! ... I don't really understand how it takes confidence to wear something just because it's not what someone else likes... ?? I've never understood that. I'm very glad for the free clothes though!

And 'age appropriate clothing'...... fuck that! I'm 46 and I'm still wearing a skirt I bought when I was 14. I still like it. It still fits. It hasn't fallen to pieces... so yeah! Why not?

Also......... in spite of my age (lol) I'm gonna get me some of these pants. Because they're AWESOME!!!

and if anyone thinks I'm mutton dressed as lamb....... I don't care!!
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, marshlander

Originally Posted by Okifolki
    And 'age appropriate clothing'...... fuck that! I'm 46 and I'm still wearing a skirt I bought when I was 14. I still like it. It still fits. It hasn't fallen to pieces... so yeah! Why not?

Also......... in spite of my age (lol) I'm gonna get me some of these pants. Because they're AWESOME!!!

and if anyone thinks I'm mutton dressed as lamb....... I don't care!!
    Not a lot one can say to that except 'Go, girl!'
    The following users think this post is groovy: Okifolki