THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Anyone living in or thinking of living in Spain?

Chilling Out

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by ThatManViv
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Thanks great news ... Thank You ...

been told today that the french police might pick me up on some rust in one of my wheel arches ...
    Can't see that's any of their business if you have a valid MOT, but I could be wrong.

Be sure to have a breakdown triangle and a Hi-Vis vest in the van. I've been told this is compulsory in France and Spain and is a fineable offence if you don't have it.

Edit: I have attached an AA link which shows a table of compulsory travelling items in France et al.

Last edited by Kerouac; 27-03--2016 at 02:14 PM.

Chilling Out

Thank you for that info ... I dont have a smart phone so I cant use that, but it has me thinking whether
    there is some way of using my asus tablet ... I know how to turn it on ... and thats about all ...
    probably easier to just buy a satnav ...
    Thanks for replying ... very kind
    I bought my SatNav at Currys for about 80 quid before I left for Spain. I went for a cheaper one at first not realising it was for the UK only, so I had to take it back and upgrade it for a UK+Mainland Europe.

It's a good investment as SatNavs very rarely go wrong, and you'll have it for years and years....

Tuning In

Originally Posted by Kerouac
    I bought my SatNav at Currys for about 80 quid before I left for Spain. I went for a cheaper one at first not realising it was for the UK only, so I had to take it back and upgrade it for a UK+Mainland Europe.

It's a good investment as SatNavs very rarely go wrong, and you'll have it for years and years....
    Thanks Kerouac .... Halfords have said Garmin are launching a new 6inch at the end of april and that they have exclusive selling rights for the first month so it could be a real bargain, so I'll be checking it out .... I love a bargain, especially if its something as
    useful as a satnav.... I just love this feedback from members ... so much to discover in this forum ... It's greaat

I would say get a Satnav, I have a Garmin and it's useful (VERY IMPORTANT- if your Satnav can pick up speed cameras disable the function because you can get nicked for it).
    Driving through France I do a search for Municipal campsites about 30/40 Kms away from where I think I'll be ready to stop for the night - it saves backtracking the road I've just driven down.. The Municipal campsites are really good, cheap'ish, clean and friendly.
    If you're going to Spain/Portugal you'll be doing the Pyrenees, have very good brakes or do the tunnels...
    When I'm in Spain I know where I'm going and I only stay on a site for one night, the same site every time, so I have no idea how you would find them on the satnav.
    If you travel with a Dog - in France you can wear it on your head if you want, but in Spain it has to be in the back either behind a grill or you can get a lead that fits into the seatbelt thingy - if you don't you WILL get nicked.. Also make sure the Passport is right up to date.
    Always carry your Passport and other documents with you.

It might seem like(from what I've said) that you have to jump through hoops sometimes, but to be honest it's no big deal. If you had a Spanish van it would be tougher, ITV (MOT) has to be done every six months, tyres on each axle have to match, even a mini van has to carry a first aid kit and fire extinguisher, etc, etc... The Guardia are not out for easy cops they're looking for bad boys... But they do have rules.

A couple of other points about Spain. Don't be overladen and if a sign says STOP then STOP completely - don't even roll just a little bit. Carry a high viz, spare bulbs, two triangles. If you have a roof rack don't let anything overhang the car/van even if you tie a red cloth on it you'll get done. In France at one point they were going to introduce carrying your own breathalyser(check that though).

Ooops... To the original question, yes I live in Spain. I've just been stuck in UK for a while now but looking forward to going home...

Just found this on this site. I think you'll see how the Spanish do it..

Last edited by yeti; 09-07--2016 at 02:43 PM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

I am going through france and germany. What is it like parking anywhere and sleeping? Im in a very small van, pretty much a car.
    Did get questioned by police yesterday, probably someone saw my washing hanging from a tree and didnt like it.

Thanks Kerouac .... Halfords have said Garmin are launching a new 6inch at the end of april and that they have exclusive selling rights for the first month so it could be a real bargain, so I'll be checking it out .... I love a bargain, especially if its something as
    useful as a satnav.... I just love this feedback from members ... so much to discover in this forum ... It's greaat
    It has already been said, but Do remember to switch off the speed camera detector on your sat nav when driving in Spain. It's a easy instant fine and they love stopping UK vehicles to collect wages from motorists. Local newspapers often have articles about expats and tourist been targeted for on spot fines. All proceeds go to support their wages. No kidding.
    If you get the chance, call in at a police station and have your driving licence and passport photo copied and stamped. This allows you to stash your original driving licence and passport. Carrying your original documents can be risky from accidental damage and theft. I did it and there was no charge. Just good practice.
    The following users think this post is groovy: itinerant child

Heavenly Creature itinerant child's Avatar

Originally Posted by Barrygouda
    I am going through france and germany. What is it like parking anywhere and sleeping? Im in a very small van, pretty much a car.
    Did get questioned by police yesterday, probably someone saw my washing hanging from a tree and didnt like it.
    I have had no problems in either country. If you have an idea of what route you will take across france,let me know and I will maybe be able to point out some lovely parkups along the way,though you will not have any worries finding any. I mark every parkup that I find in my atlas alongside where there is water and wifi. Will sell that atlas one day for millions
    anything is possible,that my friends is a mathematical certainty ;-)

Haha cheers i do that aswell but on google maps. I mark places i get phone signal and places i can park close to a stream.

Anyone live or spent a lot of time in Asturias ?...any advice suggestions on friendly places to hang around? Im thinking of going there in maybe next year or two .
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...