THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone living in or thinking of living in Spain?

Anyone living in or thinking of living in Spain?

Hi,

I'm just wondering if there is anyone living in or thinking of living in Spain, and if so, what are you doing/thinking of doing out there? Just trying to compare experiences and motivations. I am also considering a move in the future.

Look forward to your replies!

Ah found it! Moderator FriedOnion's Avatar
    Not at the mo but spent almost 10 years there. It's not easy & I'm told it has become worse with the recession. I imagine though if you could be mostly self sufficient, home school etc it would still work. There are plenty of communes still that manage.

I think about Spain or Portugal often. If I sold my land here I could buy something cheaper, be fairly self-sufficient and not need much income.
    ' When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place '

We have been looking to move to Portugal but recent posts on here have opened our eyes to the possibility of Spain as well.

I would not be looking to earn a living out there. I run an online company that I can run from anywhere and I am in the process of starting another couple of online streams of income

Paul
    PⒶUL
    The following users think this post is groovy: andypmg

Chilling Out
    It may be a good idea to merge three separate threads here?

There now appears to be three threads on the go in two different forums about the same topic....

Ithink I'd rather stay put - after all, where else could I enjoy the liquid refreshment of Manchester tear drops
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    "And, in the end, the Love we take, - is equal to the Love, we make"

Hi all, I have lived in Southern Spain for the last 11/12 years. The last 3 have been on my bus. We have parked up on friends land, with permission. It was only last September that we moved to a friends land that has running water, sanitation and ....... electricity. Just had the internet installed last week and finally got a washing machine, Lol. I love my life, wouldn´t change it for bricks and mortar. There are hippy communities here in Andalucia. You may want to search for orgiva massive on facebook.If I can help in any way, just get back to me. Hope you give it a go, the best move we ever made.xxx

We are planning on finding land to buy in Mercia this autumn/winter and would appreciate any tips/help.
    We want to try an off grid way of life in warmer weather.
    We are going over in a converted van currently living on a narrowboat in Manchester.

I live in Andalucía, in the south of Spain, and it's lovely. I have a pretty mainstream lifestyle there- kind of left my obviously hippy side in England. Good people, good weather, good work (I teach kids), and we grow a bunch of our own veg even without much gardening expertise because of the year long growing season. Loads of beautiful beaches. Bit tough if you want to eat vegan food in restaurants, but that's not such a problem.
    Do you have any more specific questions?
    The following users think this post is groovy: andypmg

Chilling Out

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by PeaceFlower
    I live in Andalucía, in the south of Spain, and it's lovely. I have a pretty mainstream lifestyle there- kind of left my obviously hippy side in England. Good people, good weather, good work (I teach kids), and we grow a bunch of our own veg even without much gardening expertise because of the year long growing season. Loads of beautiful beaches. Bit tough if you want to eat vegan food in restaurants, but that's not such a problem.
    Which part of Andalucía are you living in PeaceFlower?

Originally Posted by PeaceFlower
    sounds great - I can add Andalucia to my map.

Specifically we would like to know where to look for land for sale where we could live in a caravan off grid.
    A few websites of places for sale in the Andulicia area would be cool as we are going over in November for about 12 weeks or even land to rent.
    Thanks.

How did you get on?

I am in the process of maybe going to Spain. I have been living in Poland for 11 years but not time to move on. I am a TEFL teacher so figure I can get some work, but have very little money and If I go, i will be hitching and relying on destiny.

In 1998 I did some volunteer work on dryland restoration in Almeria and fell in love with Spain. Returned in 2003 and worked as an English teacher for 5 years as this was an obvious way to earn an income there. Wasn't easy at first but I built up a client base and did quite well being self employed there.
    For alternative living (didn't want to be a TEFL teacher all my life, was an means to an end) there're alternative communities made up of many nationalities out there helping each other out in so many creative ways. More so than ever since the recession hit.
    The following users think this post is groovy: treestump

Brilliant. I am aware of seen lots of communities across Europe.

Hoping one day that all these little communities will unite and form their own source of barter and trade.

People traveling by van , by horse or by bike or foot from one community to another, swapping and trading home made produce and delivering services. A bit like they did at the turn of the last Century with the drovers and the like.

I think the Amish communities in America have got it sussed .... I like a lot of their principles.
    I do most of my own stunts because the stunt guys show me how.

Not quite like that, sounds romantic though. It's a mix of people, some don't want to exist in the system or there're families who have lost their homes to the recession, banks have taken them back. It's a coming together of people sharing skills and teaching them. Some even do circus school for kids! They've set up communities in casas ocupadas, some of them mansions. It's a bit of a vicious cycle but it works.

Originally Posted by Rockrose
    Some even do circus school for kids!
    What about adults... id like to learn to do circus acts too lol.
    Why do the kids get all the fun stuff ?

I do most of my own stunts because the stunt guys show me how.

Tuning In

Originally Posted by treestump
    Id like to learn to do circus acts too lol.

I got enough to do juggling my bank account .....

Tuning In
    This is a very good question .... Im planning to take my old gal, a 97 transit, thru france and parts of spain in a few weeks ... has anyone got any advice about this sort of adventure ??

I'm a bit concerned about carrying bottled gas. Are there a special stipulations about how it must be carried ??
    at the moment Ive got two cookers, one is a fixed three burner thing with a built in sink, and the other is a traditionsl mobile two burner with grill camping style cooker. Each has a different connector so I also have two bottles.
    and spare diesel ??? can I carry a can of diesel ??
    or petrol, cos Ive got a small generator ???

Are there strict rules about sleeping in a van ?
    There's little to show this is a campervan, two blackened side windows and only a solar panel on top .. so I've slept in it with no problems in england.
    Im hoping I can stay on the road for at least 6 weeks.
    Oh, what about a satnav ... anyone using one they recommend. the one I use in england is uk only, cost £12 from ebay, its been brilliant, but I cant update it. I see some unfamilar brands for as low as £41, they claim lifetime updates but Im dubious of that. The alternatives of garmin and tomtom seem to be £100+.

Thanks for reading and all the fantastic advice and info everyone offers here.

Originally Posted by ThatManViv
    Oh, what about a satnav ... anyone using one they recommend. the one I use in england is uk only, cost £12 from ebay, its been brilliant, but I cant update it. I see some unfamilar brands for as low as £41, they claim lifetime updates but Im dubious of that. The alternatives of garmin and tomtom seem to be £100+.
    If you have any phone with GPS then Here maps app is free just download any countries map while online and you can use it just fine without a connection including turn by turn directions. I've put mine in off line mode in the UK just to test it and seems decent, can't beat free!

'Are there strict rules about sleeping in a van ?
    There's little to show this is a campervan, two blackened side windows and only a solar panel on top .. so I've slept in it with no problems in england.
    Im hoping I can stay on the road for at least 6 weeks. '

Spain's a lot more relaxed than UK, you should be fine. The Guardia Civil are more likely to leave you alone if you have a GB sticker.

Tuning In

Originally Posted by lee1210
    If you have any phone with GPS then Here maps app is free just download any countries map while online and you can use it just fine without a connection including turn by turn directions. I've put mine in off line mode in the UK just to test it and seems decent, can't beat free!

Thank you for that info ... I dont have a smart phone so I cant use that, but it has me thinking whether
    there is some way of using my asus tablet ... I know how to turn it on ... and thats about all ...
    probably easier to just buy a satnav ...
    Thanks for replying ... very kind

Tuning In

Originally Posted by Rockrose

Spain's a lot more relaxed than UK, you should be fine. The Guardia Civil are more likely to leave you alone if you have a GB sticker.
    Thanks great news ... Thank You ...

been told today that the french police might pick me up on some rust in one of my wheel arches ...