THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive at the current donation rate! We currently have over 17000 members & if everyone donated we would never need to ask for money again. Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford it please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Top Self Sufficiency and Off Grid Theads

Sex
    Male

Top Self Sufficiency and Off Grid Theads

This thread will be a list of interesting and useful threads from the Self Sufficiency and Off grid section of the forum. I am doing this so it will be easier for people to find posts on a specific topic. This will take time so please be patient. If you find an interesting thread that you think could be added to the list then please post below and I will assess it for inclusion. I will periodically purge the posts in this thread to keep it tidy so please don't be upset if you notice your post has disappeared. Please feel free to suggest additional headings and sub heading for the list as well.
    Paul

Growing.

Growing your own in the garden or allotment.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Growing indoors. Sprouting,Micro greens, Mushrooms, Hydroponics, Aquaponics etc.

Growing in containers.

Garden construction projects. Sheds, Greenhouses, Cold frames etc.

Improving your soil.

Rearing Animals.

Chickens.

Preparing your home grown produce.

Preserving. Canning, Jams, Chutney, Pickling etc.
    We need some quality content on Preserving.

Brewing, Country wines, Beer, Cider, Cordials, Teas, coffee etc.

Foraging.
    We need some quality content on wild edibles in the UK

Self Reliance.

DIY.

Alternative Building.

Alternative Energy.

Alternative Transport.

Hunting and Fishing.

Frugal Living.

Cooking.

Last edited by aman; 22-10--2016 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Continuous updating of content
    PⒶUL
    The following users think this post is groovy: beachcomber, Clayman, Daisysmum, julianthegypsy, nicklincs, Nicomis, Paul

Sex
    Male
    The above post is a little project I have created for myself to try to organise the best threads in the self sufficiency and off grid section of the forum. Obviously it is a work in progress but I hope I have added enough links to give you an idea of what I have in mind.

I would be very interested to know if you think this is a good idea or not and welcome any suggestions on how we can make this section of the forum more valuable.

Paul
    PⒶUL
    The following users think this post is groovy: BaguetteMan, Daisysmum, julianthegypsy, nicklincs, oldkeith

Sex
    Male
    Think its a great idea, thank you taking the time and trouble to organize it

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male
    Yes, an excellent idea.
    Is there any way threads/plans/advice sufficiently useful could be held in .pdf files so folks could download them and print them off, or print off whatever pages from the pdf they required? I often make pdf files from articles or advice threads I see on the 'net, and keep them for reference by subject.

This would save having to go online to reference a particular thread or article every time you needed to check something, and would make it easy to print off or send to friends, etc.
    You could maybe have a link to the pdf download at the beginning or end of the thread, or have a link to a pdf downloads page, or both. I sometime stick pdf files in my dropbox so that friends can download them.

Sex
    Male
    That would require each thread to be written up as an article or at least have all the non relevant parts removed from the threads before it was saved as a pdf.

You can save a web page for viewing offline.

Paul
    PⒶUL

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male
    But it would be very easy for the person starting or running the thread to do this.
    Say for example your geodesic dome greenhouse. All you have to do is keep a record, pictorial or otherwise, of what you are contributing, then at the end review it and include any outside tips or advice you found useful, and then make it into a pdf.

I can certainly do this for the pallet shed build I'm currently doing, just in case it helps other people, who are new to the subject, in future. I feel grateful to those on the Internet who have - unknowingly in most cases - given good advice to a complete beginner in this sort of project. So the least I can do is give back a little of what I found useful.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman

Sex
    Male
    If you could do that that would be great. I will as Paul where is the best place to store the PDFs as he might have some storage space allocated for this sort of thing

paul
    PⒶUL

Great thread Paul, well done. I know we are mainly talking about forum posts but would it be worth having a further reading section for books on the subject?
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman

Sex
    Male
    Yes. I intend to have an interesting links thread but it will be structured in a similar way to this thread but with a lot more information on each entry so people know where they are being directed and can instantly tell whether the information in the link is right for them before clicking.

I would also like to do a book review section with a rating system. Another (permaculture) forum I go on has a acorns otut of ten rating so we need to think of a hippy version of acorns. Maybe peace signs or something.

There are also free books from google books and other sources and great free documentaries and courses which we can highlight but one thing at a time

paul
    PⒶUL
    The following users think this post is groovy: Daisysmum, dots46

unleash my pharma powers! Daisysmum's Avatar
    Sex
    Female
    Paul any chance of adding First Aid? I know there is another post about medications but I wondered if anyone else thought it was worth adding First Aid to this section. My last first aid course was in June and already I'm forgetting stuff, but I could provide lengthy boring info on seizures epileptic and otherwise and there first aid - limited use I know.
    but, given that severe hunger and lack of sleep can bring on a seizure in anyone it is worth knowing the first aid for it.

Sex
    Male
    I don't invent the posts/threads, i just arrange them in the list.

If you want to start a thread on first aid in the self sufficiency and off grid section then i would be more than happy to add it to the list

paul
    PⒶUL
    The following users think this post is groovy: Daisysmum

Transcending
    Sex
    Male
    This is a great idea! Followed the link 2 the thred on frregans but cant post? Tryed 2 click on the 1 about keepin warm in winter but get 1 about molehills?? Wot went rong?

Ah found it! Moderator FriedOnion's Avatar
    Sex
    Male
    The keeping warm one has the wrong link but the freegan thread should be ok to post in.

Sex
    Male
    I can't find the keeping warm thread now. If anyone finds it please let me know

Also if you spot any threads that you believe needs to be on the list also let me know

Paul
    PⒶUL

Not Quite a Noobie
    Sex
    Male
    Heres a tip for all you guys even off grid you need tools n supplys etc.Have you heard of a company called CPC Farnell, I have dealt with them for 20+ years, they sell so much its untrue, from computer products to tools to solar panels, to screws, they are a good company to deal with and deliver to your door, have a look at online catalogue you prob get bored as they sell so much stuff its untrue. Hope this helps and saves you guys some .