Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Earning a living outside the system.

Heavenly Creature
    So far as I can see, (but can't speak from experience, alas!), the best ways of getting enough dough to be able to live outside the system, is to use part of the system.

Like an artist or writer getting royalties, or making/inventing something that needs a licence to use, so you get paid every time it is used, without involving your own time and effort once the initial work is done.

But even as a successful writer you will have the frantic publisher sitting on you for the next book that will make him rich, so your time will not be entirely your own. And as said above, if you successfully invent something, unless you are uniquely placed to control its raw materials and production, somebody will soon take your idea and manufacture something similar but cheaper, or have it made somewhere cheaper, if it is going to be profitable.

There are very few trades or professions where you can make big money on a hourly rate, and some of those that pay well we might not want to do for ethical reasons. Hourly-paid work, as we all well know, ties you in pretty closely to the system: even if the hours are well-paid, they are usually at somebody else's convenience, not ours.

Money invested is not always money wisely invested. I personally know people who lost tens of thousands in private pensions with supposedly reputable companies in the financial crash of 2008. Twenty or thirty years of payments utterly lost. Devastating.
    The following users think this post is groovy: applecore, Danann, dustydave, patchypete

Thank you Paul aka aman hahaha
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    )

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by oldkeith
    But even as a successful writer you will have the frantic publisher sitting on you for the next book that will make him rich, so your time will not be entirely your own. And as said above, if you successfully invent something, unless you are uniquely placed to control its raw materials and production, somebody will soon take your idea and manufacture something similar but cheaper, or have it made somewhere cheaper, if it is going to be profitable.
    For that reason i work without anyone being able to contact me other than via email. That sounds kinds of unsociable, and yeah it is, otherwise my customers would try to spread their stress onto me, I mean stress is like an infectious disease. For example i might be mindfully planting seeds or cutting grass or digging a hole and the mobile will ring and someone will be on the line wanting to know when i can supply this or that and that they need it asap. i once had someone from dell computers phone me up wanting a ventifract ( an unusual type of desert rock), he layed it on me that it was for Michael Dell's birthday and that the 'happiness of his birthday' depended on me getting it to him on time. Groan. Needless to say he didn't get it on his birthday, or ever. That zone of peacefulness at work is precious, it allows for the nurturing and creation of new ideas. Only when i am deep in medative digging or some other activity will the idea ping into my head. the idea that can be grown and taken into making the real money. And while i don't like it, money is the way that the world works and without it the 'man' has you targeted as the 'sacrifice'. So yeah, i tend my land and then at the end of the day go back and see who has emailed, select out the crop that will yield, reply and then go back to switching off and planting trees.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, Brynhyffryd, Cobra, jopo, nicklincs, oldkeith, patchypete, simate

Heavenly Creature
    Quite right, Dave. I have done several sorts of self-employment over the years, often when I couldn't get a job, and the big bugbear of being self-employed is that although you don't have one big boss, you have lots of demanding little bosses, ringing you up at any time convenient to them.
    Selling on markets was perhaps the least annoying in that respect. You bought and collected the goods, you decided where to sell them, the sale was the end of the deal, and nobody came bothering you later on. Not very profitable all the time, but not as stressing as some forms of self-employment.
    The following users think this post is groovy: nicklincs, patchypete

Hello

Sounds like you're getting sorted, but a book is a good idea.

I remember, years ago, a beautifully illustrated book that included a puzzle, that led to a treasure. Wasnít the artist Kit something....?

This may not be your thing at all, it's just an idea for any skint artists. The prize could be a percentage of sales. If you're canny, you could do a series. Your puzzle would need to be quite tricky, but this could be fun to invent Ė itís a lot of work and I donít know if Kit watsit made a penny.

I think that people are spending more as a percentage on fun rather than stuff. Hence Alton Towers etc. But that's just a guess.

Danaan is cool.

Cedrus L.

Do you mind if i ask what your sister does Aman to be a millionaire? I used to be pretty obsessed with money, now im a bit more relaxed, and not restricting the things i do in order to save any. I used to feel bad if i didnt save X amount when i got paid. Then i relaised if i died tomorrow, its no good to me then. So, im still sensible with my money, and i get paid a pretty good wage, but im always trying to figure out ideas etc. I did make some money making supplements one time, putting them into pill capsules and sellnig them in bags, profitable, but its took hours to make them for a few quid per bag. Just took too much time in the end and i only have my weekends as it is. I see all these rich people on tv etc, youtube, makes you feel like your doing somthing wrong, how have they got all this stuff. I manage well enough as i am, but i certainly wouldnt turn down that amount of money, just so i could spend every day of my life travelling.

What I have found out about wealthy people. Or should I say self made wealthy people. And how they differ from me. I have worked for and got to know a few in my time.

1/They are not always the brightest of people. No judgement intended, just what I've noticed. Which really means we are all capable of making it and having wealth.

2/They are happy, or have no problem "using" people. In fact this is a large part of there success. What you and me might see as lack of conscience, they see as business. "If you don't wont to do it, I'm not forcing you" attitude. In fact they see it as creating jobs/ wealth. Think JD Sports built on zero hour contracts and shitty pay. Some might say the boss is a greedy git, but students earning a few quid are quite happy working for him to get some beer money. So essentially a "mind set" of "I am creating"

3/They rarely do any of the work themselves. This is probably a continuation from 2. But is important because they "create" the idea, others fulfill it.

4/ They are masters at thinking BIG. If there are millions of people on the planet, they see endless potential for there service or product. And they will think of as many ways as possible of exploiting this. That's not to be negative, they are masters of marketing. Or getting there "thing" out there.

So basically what I have found is when they find something that will make a profit, they will market this to it's full potential. Using other people or whatever it takes to get it out to the widest audience. If they can make £1 profit from something, they are thinking of ways to sell one million.

Examples.

Well, I knew a guy who advertised for window cleaning canvassers. The deal was for every house you get to say "yes" to a window clean, you get the money for the first clean. His phone rang off the hook. He soon had an army of young guys out there knocking on doors offering a window cleaning service.

He then advertised for a window cleaner, must have transport, ladders etc. He then went and did the cleaning for a set amount of money per day. He would also collect the money and give it to this guy.

I don't know how many guys he had working for him in the end, but he did tell me that if he wasn't earning £500 per day, someone was nicking from him. A DAY!!!!!!!!!

Love and peace.

(Had more examples but bed calls.ZZzzzzzzz )
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman

Hi again. I was going to give some more examples, but to be honest, they all follow the same theme. It aint what you do, tis the way that you do it.

The upshot with the window cleaning guy was he bought a property in Spain. Mortgage free.

Then he sold off his rounds in portions. I believe the rounds are worth 5x the monthly income or some sell for up to 10x

So £2000 a month round sells for between £10,000 to £20,000. You do the maths on how many he sold.

Now I am told he has a few properties in Spain and lives off the rental income.

The other gem I was told by a rich guy, DO WHAT YOU KNOW.

Hey Paul, as you already do design and t-shirts have a look at this book Threads Not Dead

Good luck people

Can you expand on the do what you know please?

Hi Darren,

Yeh sorry, should have explained that a bit more.

The guy was basically saying "do what you know" because we under estimate how much knowledge and information we have regarding something we have done as a job, or hobby or simple passion. We under estimate how many contacts we have in that area, and general feel for what is that will sell or be worth money.

To go into a brand new "game" maybe a massive learning curve, and take years to build up the knowledge they have. And yet we have vast knowledge in what we already do and love.

He wasn't saying don't go into a new field, but more along the lines of, it doesn't matter what you sell or do to make money, but if it is an area you already have a lot of knowledge, contacts, information, you will be already ahead of the game, and be much more believable. And able to make money straight away.

A good example would be the series "Breaking Bad". A science teacher knows how to cook amazing meth, knows it makes amazing money but ................. knows nobody in the industry, has no contacts or knowledge about distribution. Tough.

We have more value within ourselves, and knowledge about things, that we really do not appreciate - or recognize. But should.

Another maxim might be "Do what you love"

Peace

Turning On
    As a born hippie I was always brought up with do what you love, which is probably why I'm so passionate about my ideas,
    My father once told me with regards to work if your not enjoying it STOP
    I agree totally you will gain more in life mentally and feel happier doing what you love than working at a till all day......unless you lo e working at a till all day and in that case go for it lol

Learn to read the tarot! It can be quite lucrative and easy to avoid paying tax......not that I do that of course! I have funded a lot of my travelling doing it abroad

An "extra" £500 quid a week?!!!! :-0

I used to be very interested in web design many years ago (20 years ago) and it is still something that interests me but technology has moved on so fast that it just left me behind. I have a catalogue of ideas that could make money if I had development skills so i have enrolled on a web development course covering HTML5, CSS, JavaScript, JOuery, Bootstrap, Wordpress, PHP, MySQL, APIs and Mobile Apps.

There are lots of ways I can earn quick money with the above skills. My day job puts me in contact with a lot of start ups. We can offer them a website along with their vehicle graphics and t-shirts etc. We could put together a start up pack.

I have my own ideas for websites that could bring in money.

I can design industry specific website plug ins that i could licence to thee sign industry.

I could offer graphic design to other web designers.

I could design wordpress themes.

I could freelance as a developer

I also have a couple of App ideas that have been on the back burner for a while because I need someone to develop them.

Even teaching web design could be a possibility.

I am not saying that I want to be a full time web developer but a lot of the things I have in my head would involve me having to employ a developer to make them real. once I have finished the course I should be able to do a lot of the development myself or if I do need to employ someone at least I will be able to communicate with them in the same language.

You can't have too many skills

Paul
    PⒶUL

Finished the HTML portion of the course and straight into the CSS

CSS is fascinating

paul
    PⒶUL

Hi Folks! Recently I read two really useful books: "The Moneyless Man" by Mark Boyle about his year of living a fee economic, moneyless life for a year. The other is "How I Lived on a Pound a Day" by Kath Kelly. I prefer the 2nd one I found it realistic for my personality but each to their own. I've heard of another book "Meine Liebe Ohne Geld" (My life without Money) written by an old German lady sorry can't remember her name. Really great saving tips in all of them, just manage what's relevant to you. Good luck!
    The following users think this post is groovy: nicklincs

Thanks herbal girl

Paul
    PⒶUL

Take a look at my 'WELL HERE GOES' thread in the 'NOMADIC LIVING ' section.
    Yesterdays gone, tomorrows a mystery, today's a gift, that's why its called the present.

Always easier if you add a link

paul
    PⒶUL

Originally Posted by Paul
    Have you considered monetising your blog?

By that I mean an ebay affiliates link similar to the one on here, a google adsense campaign, amazon affiliates shop links and so on - they all add up. So, for instance ... add an affiliate link to one of the books you recommend, and if someone buys it through Amazon you get a little reward.

Google will probably be the best money spinner, but the reason we don't have it on here anymore is because we kept falling foul of their adult content rules.

Might be worth getting Google Analytics installed just so you can see what traffic you're getting.
    I have had a friend whose made not up to £500 a week doing this, but it's a little bit extra in your pocket. It's more dependant on traffic and click throughs. Also having good search engine optimisation, (:

theaffiliatepod.co.uk
    Hi
    I run a small online business using PPC google adwords making good money. It can be done with hard work, learning and patience, and its all legitimate and growing. I totally understand where you are coming from about leaving the ' usual ' earning world behind and doing something else with your life. My awakening for want of a better phrase was 5 years ago when my wife had a serious illness, i had a great job in IT but realised how short life is and we only get 1 so wanted to make the most of it. What i do allows me the freedom to work when i want, where i want and for however long i want.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do as you have taken the 1st very important step by making the decision to do it.

All the best

Mac

Heavenly Creature
    Right icame up with this idea ages ago n so far i hav kept it to myself but I am willing to share with you lot. All you need is a small patch of ground and a little amount of time

Homing pigeons , breed and sellthem. The best bit is you can sell the same bird over n over.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, astartosteerby, BaguetteMan, RollingFree

Originally Posted by pyke13
    Right icame up with this idea ages ago n so far i hav kept it to myself but I am willing to share with you lot. All you need is a small patch of ground and a little amount of time

Homing pigeons , breed and sellthem. The best bit is you can sell the same bird over n over.

Do you need to be a member of the 'Feather-rated Union of Bird Breeders'?

Originally Posted by pyke13

Are you selling a homing pigeon starter pack with free mentoring via a special rate phone line ?