THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Inspiring reads

Inspiring reads

Hello all,

INSPIRING READS.

Thru Hiking Will Break Your Heart: An Adventure On The Pacific Crest Trail.

By Carrot Quinn.

A hard copy of this book is available only in America, but we all have P.C.'s and some will have a Kindle, so it can be downloaded.

It is quite a feat to walk the length of America, but it is also difficult to write an interesting account of the experience.

I started this book, which can be read for free on Kindle, probably because it follows Wild by Cheryl Strayed by just 3 years, in the full expectation that it would soon justify the outlay, but was quickly drawn in, step by step. The daily routine of an early start, then 20 or 30 miles of strenuous landscape, and the variety of camp sites, are all described in a quite zen plain detail, but the developing relationships add greatly to the interest. The reader learns more about the writer in the second half of the book, and the revelations are quite memorable. The book inspired me because of the hardship of the trail, the determination of the writer, from a difficult start in life, to succeed in a 2700 mile test of endurance, and for the description of the sort of world view that needs no religion.

The book is a great example of writing craft, and includes a surprise which shows just how easily we can make assumptions and invent our own pictures. It has to be the best hiking booked since the Eric Newby accounts.

The author is, June 2015, still making a home outdoors and a family from similar fresh air freaks as well as maintaining a blog - Carrot Quinn Despatches From the Wild.

CEDRUS L.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Ah found it! Moderator FriedOnion's Avatar
    Sounds an interesting read. These kinds of things often tempt me to do something similar, I read about the Camino de Santiago a couple of years back & am tempted to give it a try despite being totally non religious.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Daisysmum

unleash my pharma powers! Daisysmum's Avatar
    Read Tim Moore - 'Spanish Steps' he took a donkey instead of cycling as he usually does.
    Josh did it for real.
    He got robbed for real too in France.
    If I do Spanish at Uni he wants to do it again.

Not Quite a Noobie
    Power Interest and Psychology by David Smail - and The Therapy Industry by Paul Maloney - two books that have helped me see more clearly into the world of psychology especially clinical psychology/therapy and its relationship to government power and control in society.