THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Introduction to Cornish Stone Hedging

Introduction to Cornish Stone Hedging

*******Only 2 places left**********
    22nd & 23rd August 9:30am - 4pm @ Keveral Farm, nr Looe, Cornwall. A 2 day practical course covering the basic aspects of Cornish stone hedging and dry stone walling. I will teach you how to take down and rebuild a stone wall using traditional methods on a beautiful organic farm near the sea. 100 for the weekend. Includes free tea and home made cake! Camping available. Full details on the website
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    . To book your place please call 07859933202 or email
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

That sounds like a great weekend for a fit person. I hope you get some interested students. Are grants available to landowners down those parts? Grants to have the stone hedging work done by approved contractors? If so, how much grant assistance per metre would a landowner get towards having the work carried out?
    The following users think this post is groovy: Colin M

I was wondering this also, but also how does one get approved in the UK and is there enough money in it for me to come back to do it for a living again. the last time I did that I was charging just 60 euro a day.

Enjoyable and rewarding job otherwise.

Originally Posted by Languid Virago
    I was wondering this also, but also how does one get approved in the UK.
    I would imagine it's the same as most crafts/trades that have no formal structured examination criteria.
    I am a approved hedgelaying contractor for the local authorities. Back in 1987 I think, I attended some agricultural training board courses on hedgelaying. I can't remember if these were run by FWAG or MAFF. I was selfemployed as a hedge layer and when anyone applied for grant assistance in a County, they would also receive a list of approved contractors, who could carry out the work if grant assistance was approved. To get on the list, I had several site visits to hedges I was laying at the time and those previously laid by myself. I understand the approval was based on a variety of hedge types, hedge development stages and area hedgelaying styles.
    I would imagine it would be a similar assessment for dry stone walling. In 1995 I also went on a dry stone walling course, which was held in Derbyshire. I enjoyed stone walling, but realised it's tougher than it looks on the body over time.