THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive at the current donation rate! We currently have over 17000 members & if everyone donated we would never need to ask for money again. Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford it please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you 'Wombled' today?

Sex
    Male
    Scrap piece of wood to make one of these.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And some scrap cardboard yesterday to cover the allotment, tomorrow it's pallet begging as their building some new houses about 1/2 mile from me and they have a pile of pallets
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer.

Sex
    Female

Originally Posted by patchypete
    Make sure you water him well, to settle him in, and if he rocks about a bit when it's windy, you might have to tie him to a post, or reduce the height of him...good luck Ronald
    Thank you x we have been watering him, and making blender compost for him with all our veggie peels, tea bags and egg shells, so hopefully he will thrive. We dug the hole fairly deep, so he seems pretty sturdy at the moment. I'm told that rosemary is quite a hardy plant, so I'm hoping his roots grow back. He's easily as tall as a toddler, and twice as wide though, so not sure how much of his root system he definitely needs, the last owners sadly butchered him 😞 x
    The following users think this post is groovy: patchypete

Sex
    Male
    Don't over water it though, also don't over feed it as the taste is better by all accounts. Napoleon loved the smell of rosemary and according to the French the smell of it makes men better lovers

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male
    When the rosemary gets established, hopefully by next Spring, and sends out new shoots, you can take cuttings of these quite easily; at least two-thirds will grow. We've had so many come sometimes that we have given them away, or sold them very cheaply at car boot sales. Then you can plant a few of these little Ronalds to eventually become bushes in their own right, because rosemary tends to become leggy and a bit gaunt as it gets older, say five or six years or so, and Ronald is probably at this stage now. He -it - will carry on growing though, but with less vigour and less shoots as years pass. So take a few little Ronalds at the first opportunity!

Sex
    Male
    OK......this is really difficult to describe, but a cool idea to take loads of cuttings so they take up very little space. Searched You tube but couldn't find a tutorial.

If you are taking semi hardwood cuttings of most shrubs you can get away without using pots. Get a strip of plastic (from a sturdy carrier bag or the like) cut a strip 6 inches wide by about 15 inches long.

Mix up some potting compost and sand to get a free draining mix. Lay a half inch thick and 3 inch wide strip of compost along one side of the length of the plastic.

Lay out all your cuttings every inch or so, cut points to the middle of your plastic with about an inch in the compost and 1-2 inches sticking out.

Fold over the plastic to cover the compost. Then roll the whole thing up like a swiss roll. Finish with an elastic band to keep it from unravelling.

Basically you get a swiss roll of plastic with a thin sandwich of compost and loads of cuttings per rolled 'pot'. A couple of small holes in the bottom will stop it getting waterlogged and if you use clear plastic, you can even see when roots start developing.

Reading that back probably makes no sense at all............it's easier if you can see it. I've taken loads of shrub cutting like this.

Sex
    Female
    A
    thankyou for the advice 😊 when its not dark out, I shall take a picture of him. Taking cuttings is a good idea, I shall let my man do this though, as I don't want to damage his treasured find. He's really rather proud of himself x

Transcending
    Sex
    Male
    Got a portable picnic gas ring from the pdsa bin! It dint spark but I fixed that. Even has sum gas!!

Sex
    Male
    Not a wombled but a bargain for my lass - she got herself a dark wool blazer style jacket for 8. Chuffed she is. Skint am I?

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by Clayman
    Don't over water it though, also don't over feed it as the taste is better by all accounts. Napoleon loved the smell of rosemary and according to the French the smell of it makes men better lovers
    I have now got Rosemary bushes in planters all around the bedroom....

The following users think this post is groovy: Clayman, Ecobob

Tuning In
    Sex
    Male
    took my daughter into Worcester for a meal today , spotted a skip with the carpet and underlay from some offices being done up took some out gave the once over , clean , tidy almost new , its now in her living room in her new flat.

she is well chuffed.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Fire-Tree, oldkeith

Jesus is not your friend Fire-Tree's Avatar
    Sex
    Female
    Got two lovely cushions for the guest chair out of a charity bin. The 'chair' was made from two ply boxes I found a month before outside a skip.

Also an oap walking frame (can't believe a charity would throw that away!)

For the first time in my life, I got food from a bin...and I ate it! Had green beans and sugar snap peas, plus kiwis and some bread! Marks and Spencer's I'll have you know! It was the tastiest food I've ever eaten.

Picked up some acorns today, currently soaking them in cold water. First time with them, so I'll see how it goes. Was rather fun smashing them with a hammer.
    Blog: Experiencing England in a car with no money
    The following users think this post is groovy: mankhater, nicklincs, oldkeith

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by patchypete
    I have now got Rosemary bushes in planters all around the bedroom....

Sorry to say but Mrs Patchypete pops down to my rosemary plantation everyday when you go to work

Transcending
    Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by Fire-Tree
    Got two lovely cushions for the guest chair out of a charity bin. The 'chair' was made from two ply boxes I found a month before outside a skip.

Also an oap walking frame (can't believe a charity would throw that away!)

For the first time in my life, I got food from a bin...and I ate it! Had green beans and sugar snap peas, plus kiwis and some bread! Marks and Spencer's I'll have you know! It was the tastiest food I've ever eaten.

Picked up some acorns today, currently soaking them in cold water. First time with them, so I'll see how it goes. Was rather fun smashing them with a hammer.
    Liking u got 2 M&S bins!
    Acorns can b made into a kinda coffee I read. Neva tryed it tho.

Jesus is not your friend Fire-Tree's Avatar
    Sex
    Female
    Only the best for me lol.

I'm going to grind them into flour - I think. I've no idea I'm just making shit up.
    Blog: Experiencing England in a car with no money
    The following users think this post is groovy: Raffi

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male
    There's a recipe for Acorn Coffee here, might be worth trying:

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male
    Yesterday my other half wombled seven large fresh leeks from the compost heap of a place she works at p/t.
    The school cooks had just cut off and used the bottom three or four inches of each leek, leaving the rest of the stem and leaves!
    So it will be leek soup, leek stew, leek and potatoes; leek everything this Hallow'een weekend!
    The following users think this post is groovy: nicklincs, patchypete

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male
    Yesterday I managed to womble a pumpkin! Quite a decent size, too. I saw several behind a fruiterers stall on the local market, and asked the guy in charge about them.
    'Take one if you want, mate,' He said. 'They're damaged or got a rot spot in, can't sell 'em like that, so they'll be dumped.'
    I selected one with a small rot spot in the bottom, and just about managed to get it into my bag. It was heavy, so I got the bus home.
    So now we have a pumpkin for lighting up tonight, and lots of pumpkin flesh to cook up and eat, and make jam with, and put in stews for the week ahead. I got full marks from the missus!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Ecobob, nicklincs, patchypete

Transcending
    Sex
    Male
    Another gas burner! This time a 2kg bottle the size I hav alredy wiv a big burner screwed to it. No gas this time tho.

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by oldkeith
    Yesterday I managed to womble a pumpkin! Quite a decent size, too. I saw several behind a fruiterers stall on the local market, and asked the guy in charge about them.
    'Take one if you want, mate,' He said. 'They're damaged or got a rot spot in, can't sell 'em like that, so they'll be dumped.'
    I selected one with a small rot spot in the bottom, and just about managed to get it into my bag. It was heavy, so I got the bus home.
    So now we have a pumpkin for lighting up tonight, and lots of pumpkin flesh to cook up and eat, and make jam with, and put in stews for the week ahead. I got full marks from the missus!

Pumpkin bread is really nice!

I also managed to womble a whole pumpkin that was left over from a wedding decoration.
    Any resemblance to actual persons living, dead, or undead, is purely coincidental
    The following users think this post is groovy: oldkeith, patchypete

Wombled a couple of pairs of brackets from a TV stand my bro was going to throw away. Don't know what they will be used for yet but sure they will be useful come conversion time!

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by whitepoppy
    My partner came home yesterday proudly dragging a wombled rosemary bush. It was absolutely massive, he'd carried/dragged it home having salvaged it from someone's skip outside there house. We have now replanted it and named it Ronald. Hopefully it will survive  but if anyone needs any rosemary, feel free to have some, we now have an over abundance!
    Something I read today and that is don't plant rosemary and basil together or the rosemary will die.

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by Raffi
    Wombled a couple of pairs of brackets from a TV stand my bro was going to throw away. Don't know what they will be used for yet but sure they will be useful come conversion time!
    I still have stuff stashed in the van that will come in useful one day. If fact in the last van some of it did come in useful when I had to do an impromptu repair on the side of the road.

Not sure what I wombled today but it was too good to leave. I found it in the grass verge of the main road when cycling home, made from cast iron and a good weight, only got it because I had the ruck sack to put it in.
    Any suggestions?
    Any resemblance to actual persons living, dead, or undead, is purely coincidental
    The following users think this post is groovy: mankhater

Sex
    Female
    Is it too big for a handle? Eg on a trailer?
    Or use it as a short hanger rail eg for scarfs or hangers or...
    Three Little Birds Each By My Doorstep
    The following users think this post is groovy: Ecobob

Sex
    Male
    I reckon it's agricultural in origin, as there are a lot of farms round this way.