THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 52 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you 'Wombled' today?

What have you 'Wombled' today?

Remember the Wombles? They are small fury creatures that live on Wimbledon Common and pick up and re-purpose things that other people have thrown away.

Well I am a modern day Womble and I suspect there are quite a few on this forum.

Use this thread to show what you have saved from going to landfill and how you are using it.

Yesterday I was cycling through Truro when I saw a chap I know because I often see him busking and always stop for a chat. He beckoned me over and said he had a solar panel he no longer wanted and was going to throw out.

He lived about a minute away so I went round and was surprised to find it was one of the folding suitcase panels with a separate charge controller. I haven't had a chance to test it or look up the specs but I think it is going to be perfect for a little project I have got coming up shortly.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    PⒶUL

That's nice Paul, hope it works ok
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    I am a bit of a Womble too , my new green house been a good example
    . I find our local free cycle group very useful with some great stuff been up for grabs.My best find this year was a couple of hundred metres of 2 metre high wavy edge fencing that had been taken down in the local Lidl car park!
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, cricket, patchypete

The 'Time Lord' of Wimbledon common...

It is better to travel well than to arrive............Buddha
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, julianthegypsy, patchypete

Transcending
    Charity shop bins! Now days charitys cant sell electrics cos they hav 2 b tested so they go in the bin. Same thing wiv kitchen stuff and plates cups bricabrac. Cant work out wot there thinkin is on wot will and wont sell! Near me sum put out in bin bags too no bin. I nearly corsed a riot by startin 2 pic thru sum. Other ppl joined in and by the time I went ther woz about 6 ppl pickin thru it and the shop owner it woz outside woznt happy! Ha ha. I woz tryin to put stuff back in the bags and keep tidy but they wer chuckin stuff everywer. Culd see his point. Its shokin wot they chuck out tho
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, Einarr

My best freebie score of late was 2 x 6 kilo gas bottles, one butane, full and sealed, the other a propane one with a regulator and just over half full, I sold the propane one at a boot sale for 20 euro and bought a regulator and new hose for the butane one for 10 euro at the same boot sale and enough left over for a packet of cigars, they were dumped at the side of the road by the council bins with a few broken plastic garden chairs and a mattress.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, convoy, Einarr, julianthegypsy, patchypete

Heavenly Creature
    We 'wombled' a lot of chucked-out bird cages earlier this year. With the bottoms taken out they are ideal on the allotment for covering young plants to stop the pigeons getting at them.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, glowingsunsets, patchypete, Rainbow Phoenix

Originally Posted by Languid Virago
    My best freebie score of late was 2 x 6 kilo gas bottles, one butane, full and sealed,
    We buy and sell a few caravans and they normally arrive with full or partially full gas bottles which is handy

Paul
    PⒶUL

I was married to a right womble, and my younger daughter was a proper womble when she was little. You lost something? she'd find it!

UK Hippy Reiki Doula Editor Sarah's Avatar
    Today we wombled a tidy wooden corner unit thing and a couple of bins, couple of old board games and the promise of a poly tunnel
    two weeks ago himself wombled a huge amount of gardening equipment at a house/garden clearance job... i ended up with a wishing well and an egyptian head aswell as a couple of new frogs lol
    i live with someone who is a cross between steptoe, stig of the dump and a womble
    he has promised me that this will be the last load of scrap metal that he's collecting up in corners of the garden lol
    one day i *will* have a garden that has enough space to put up a deckchair!! lol
    If we are to heal the planet, we must begin by healing birthing.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, glowingsunsets, patchypete

Heavenly Creature
    I am a bit of a womble myself, but nothing compared to my missus. Yesterday she wombled a Flymo that isn't working (But might be if I am fortunate enough to repair it), the lid of a garden incinerator, three builders bags, and 'rescued' a few plants.
    It gets a problem where to put all this stuff at times.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, patchypete

I'm always finding things , full tub of Plumbers mate I a skip. Passed that on to my neighbour because I have some already.
    Today's treasure was corner reinforcing brackets off a couple of doors chucked in a skip, I've got 8 of them
    The following users think this post is groovy: oldkeith, patchypete

Originally Posted by oldkeith
    I am a bit of a womble myself, but nothing compared to my missus. Yesterday she wombled a Flymo that isn't working (But might be if I am fortunate enough to repair it), the lid of a garden incinerator, three builders bags, and 'rescued' a few plants.
    It gets a problem where to put all this stuff at times.
    You could put it all in that nice big pallet shed you built on the allotment, by the way did you manage to sort the roof out on that ?

I'm (quite) a bit of Womble - recycler to hoarder - it's a bit of a close call
    Ready meal containers make good fridge trays, take away (rice) containers good sandwich boxes for picnics, washing up liquid bottles used as (mini) water jugs - need to focus more? - I guess it's a matter of perception
    "And, in the end, the Love we take, - is equal to the Love, we make"

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by patchypete
    You could put it all in that nice big pallet shed you built on the allotment, by the way did you manage to sort the roof out on that ?
    Aaargh! Me pallet shed used as yet another junk repository! The horror of it!
    (I have dreams of setting up a low-tech workshop in there, Pete).

The roof. Yes, Marian had a stroke of cheap genius. As we couldn't find any recycled sheet metal locally, and new was too expensive (Trying to keep the build cost to around a 100), she came up with the idea of using a new pond liner at under 27.
    Logical really, what keeps the water in must also be good at keeping it out. I was initially sceptical, but soon found others had used these for shed roofs before, with good results. So we have a brown pond liner roof. How long it will last I don't know, but if it does five years it will be cheap enough. And if we find any corrugated metal recycled meanwhile, we can put it by.

I will have to bring the Pallet Shed Build thread up to date, when I've put a bit more weatherboarding on, and took a few more pictures. Had a heavy cold this last couple of weeks, so only now getting back to it.
    The following users think this post is groovy: patchypete

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by Wolf Angel
    I'm (quite) a bit of Womble - recycler to hoarder - it's a bit of a close call
    Ready meal containers make good fridge trays, take away (rice) containers good sandwich boxes for picnics, washing up liquid bottles used as (mini) water jugs - need to focus more? - I guess it's a matter of perception
    Yes, we recycle all that sort of stuff. Ice-cream containers make good storage for bits and bobs, nails, screws, and small tools like dies and punches, chisels, etc. Trouble is we always have a stack of surplus ones, can't bear to throw them away! Used four today to hold about 2.5 kilos of wombled blackberries. Must have had a half kilo apiece with yoghurt for supper - delicious!

Recently I picked a large pile of Le Parfait jars at boot sale for a brilliant price, I was saying to someone about how pleased I was and they said they had a big copper jamming pan I could have as they no longer used it. I jokingly asked if they had anything else nice they no longer wanted and got given a proper nice big picnic rug which I had been something I had been looking out for for ages.

Recently I picked a large pile of Le Parfait jars at boot sale for a brilliant price, I was saying to someone about how pleased I was and they said they had a big copper jamming pan I could have as they no longer used it. I jokingly asked if they had anything else nice they no longer wanted and got given a proper nice big picnic rug which had been something I had been looking out for for ages.

Had a right result skip diving at the weekend - two full packs of floor times - 18' x 12' approx. - each box says it's enough to do 1.17 square metres - so that's the floor under the woodburner and the wall behind sorted out.

Right result.

There were some bits of wood in there as well :-)
    Smile - It'll make them nervous.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Clayman, mankhater, patchypete, wurzel

Transcending
    Found a victorian 3 draw chest tryed to sell it no go. Swapped it 4 a pair of boots. They were to big 4 me so swapped them 4 a wheel clamp!! Security. Have I wombled a wheel clamp?
    The following users think this post is groovy: dreamsoffreedom, patchypete, wurzel

Got an off cut roll of industrial lino out of a skip, it is now my new floor in the van.
    Never judge someone by the opinion of others.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Clayman, Colin M, patchypete, schatje

Shemagh/keffiyah, was thinking what I could use for the front of a cupboard in the van and remembered having one. Best of all it fitted perfect so a neighbour stitched some Velcro on and Bob's your uncle.
    The following users think this post is groovy: patchypete, wurzel

UK Hippy Reiki Doula Editor Sarah's Avatar
    Conversation that happened the other day between our son Henry who is almost 7 and my partner Lee...

Henry "Daddy you know when you go to the skip?"
    Lee "Yes mate?"
    Henry "And you know when you go to the skip and you get stuff out of it and bring it home like your bike and wood and stuff for Mummy?"
    Lee "Yes mate..."
    Henry " Well you know when you went to the skip and got all them pots and things the other day?"
    Lee "Yes..."
    Henry "Well has the skip got a bike in it for me? because my bike is too small and I need a bigger bike but not a big boys bike but a middle sized bike"

...at this point we realise that Henry thinks that all the stuff comes from one skip... a bottomless skip (I really wish I could see inside Henry's imagination sometimes because it is a fantastic and amazingly magical place
    )

Me "Don't worry Henry, as soon as Mummy's not on call we will go down the skip in Exmouth and get you a big middle sized bike"
    If we are to heal the planet, we must begin by healing birthing.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Clayman, dreamsoffreedom, mankhater, oddballdave, treestump, wurzel

Transcending
    Found a tredle sewin machine in its own cupbord! Duno wot I will do wiv it tho. Maybe swap it for somfin
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sarah