Thread: Apple Day in Northampton

Heavenly Creature

Apple Day in Northampton

This isn't exactly a hippy gathering, nor a festie or a music gig, so I figure it can go in here.

Every year Northampton's South Court Environmental throw a bucolic 'Apple Day' at Wilson's Orchard in Northampton, and it's free entry, with mostly apple-related activities going on, like you can help with traditional apple-juicing, drink fresh apple juice, eat apple cake, kids can go apple-bobbing, and identification and advice on apples generally is available from the experts there. Here's the link:

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you're in the area, do go along on Sunday afternoon 18th of October.
    The following users think this post is groovy: ma bungo

I see no mention of cyder in your post, lol.
    The following users think this post is groovy: patchypete

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    Sounds great , I would deffo go if it was nearer
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by groove
    I see no mention of cyder in your post, lol.
    Sorry, Groove, it's a cyder-free event, as the apple juice is freshly pressed.
    But there's nothing to stop folks buying a few litres of fresh apple juice, and taking it home to brew their own
    The following users think this post is groovy: groove

If we re in the area il drag uj along but could be moving the van this weekend...has stuff to get from nearby,so very possible xx
    The following users think this post is groovy: patchypete

If we re in the area il drag uj along but could be moving the van this weekend...has stuff to get from nearby,so very possible xx
    The following users think this post is groovy: oldkeith, patchypete

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by Rainbomama
    Psst! The Apple Cake tends to go early on, as apparently it is a bit sought after; folks ask which stall is selling it...

Heavenly Creature
    Well, just to wrap this up, so to speak, the Apple Day started off a bit drizzly, so that might have put a few people off. The drizzle turned to a mizzle (local word meaning a very fine drizzle) later on, and even stopped for awhile , before descending again as the day ended.
    Between twenty and fifty people attended, according to whose account you listened to. (Somebody was only counting adults, and somebody else was counting every small child as well (quite rightly), and probably the odd dog or two, into the bargain

A fine if damp time was had by all, especially the helpers (cries of 'never again' and 'thank fook that's over!' of course).

Hopefully the weather will be better next year. But - the silver lining! - there were a few slices of apple cake left over this year, which went down fine with yogurt for afters later on

Heavenly Creature
    A few folks have made inquiries about the Apple Cake recipe from the SCE Northampton Apple Day, so if anyone wants to try their hand at making some, I've put the recipe here:

Jesus is not your friend Fire-Tree's Avatar
    OMG - How did I miss this. I love apples so much I have a small list of tasting notes!
    Blog: Experiencing England in a car with no money