THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for some time & will not survive unless donations remain consistent! We currently have over 17500 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. However, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford to, please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Am I alone.

Turning On

Am I alone.

I grew up in tipi valley in south Wales ....left got married lived the "normal" life and it never felt right decided to live the way I wanted so we both agreed let's do this long story short my wife didn't cope and left...... I feel like an alien on this planet whenever I meet a fellow hippy and engage in conversation it always ends with me running away as literally everyone I've met friendship wise on that level is obsessed with drink and or drugs ......I've never been into either and find it very hard to relate to anyone stoned or drunk......are there any hippies out there that just appreciate nature for what it is and dont need stuff to warp their mind to appreciate it? Or am I alone .
    The following users think this post is groovy: Arctist, Cobra, cricket, Duckman, Lightbringer, nicklincs, NomadicRT, r3ubs

Transcending
    I don't do drugs smoke an only drink at christmas an birthdays.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, r3ubs

Heavenly Creature
    No mate, you are not alone
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The rest of us are here on UKH, and even write sensible posts now and then. But every alternative group has its share of burnt-out druggies and recovering alcoholics; you've just met more than the usual percentage, by the sound of it
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, r3ubs

I recognised in my teens that I have an addictive personality, so I'm very careful with alcohol and drugs. I do occasionally like a puff at the end of the day if we don't have visitors, and prefer that to a drink, even in moderation; but I can take it or leave it and don't get stressed if I've none for months on end.

My addictive personality does affect me in other ways though, the wife will tell you I won't occasionally have found a new hobby, rather a new obsession, but that's a relatively harmless manifestation of the condition, even if it does sometimes irk her!

Of course, I sympathise with all those who also unknowingly have such a personality and who fall foul of their destructive behaviour/addiction ... and those around them who suffer by association ... just be thankful that you are not so afflicted and draw some solace from the fact we don't all possesses that trait and so there will be someone out there you've yet to meet, who won't cause you such hurt ... and good luck in finding them, it'll likely happen when you least expect it
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Daisysmum, Lightbringer, r3ubs

I very rarely drink, don't smoke or take drugs and I live for nature, there are many of us about so don't despair
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, HarleyDee, Languid Virago, r3ubs

You are not alone! I thought that I was... But clearly I'm not. I like a glass of wine or beer with my dinner but I haven't been drunk for a long time... Just doesn't appeal. I've never done drugs or smoked.
    "My religion is very simple. My religion is kindess."
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, greenvanman, HarleyDee, Languid Virago

Another here - don't smoke or do drugs, drinks, maybe 2 or 3 - a year.
    and I like to feel that I do nothing to harm our environment - or other people.
    Grendel
    We perform the impossible every day - Miracles take a little longer.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Daisysmum, HarleyDee, patchypete, r3ubs

You are not alone, I am a very old hippy but remember when I was 17 and embraced hippy philosophies for the first time I saw the world in all its' wonder and realised that I did not need booze or drugs to connect with Mother Earth or my inner self. My mates from that time are now all dead, many through fucking up their heads/bodies through drunk and inhaled crap. Their choice, so I am not judging them as they were people I loved. The world and nature is what blows my mind and that is enough for me. Sorry if this post has offended anyone on here I am not saying anything against whatever any of you do with booze and/or drugs just saying how I see it. peace happiness and love to you all including I TIm
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, cricket, r3ubs

exiled cornishman wandering gypsy's Avatar
    mug of tea and a slice of cake and all is right in my world
    The following users think this post is groovy: Boaty McBoatface, cricket, Daisysmum, Duckman, greenvanman, HarleyDee, Lightbringer, patchypete

unleash my pharma powers! Daisysmum's Avatar
    Could probably post very similarly to PDCambs, I realised I had an addictive personality in my teens too, however I was saved from the risks of experimenting with drugs etc by the fact that I was already on prescription meds and I was far too scared I would kill myself.

Much like PDCambs I tend to be a 'bit' obsessive - hobbies, studying, etc.

My husband would argue about the definition of 'a bit'.

I think it is genetic, my mother seemed to compulsively buy weird junk we didn't need or have pointless work done to the house, like a compulsion to spend money.

Hmm....genetics lecture is ....looming at 9am.

Originally Posted by john'smind
    You are not alone, I am a very old hippy but remember when I was 17 and embraced hippy philosophies for the first time I saw the world in all its' wonder and realised that I did not need booze or drugs to connect with Mother Earth or my inner self. My mates from that time are now all dead, many through fucking up their heads/bodies through drunk and inhaled crap. Their choice, so I am not judging them as they were people I loved. The world and nature is what blows my mind and that is enough for me. Sorry if this post has offended anyone on here I am not saying anything against whatever any of you do with booze and/or drugs just saying how I see it. peace happiness and love to you all including I TIm
    how old are you, if its not too much to ask? All your old mates dead! Shit you either had few mates or you are one lucky/unlucky guy.

Dont smoke and dont drink much either, love nature, and that's enough drug for me.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, greenvanman, patchypete

I must admit that I do like a beer or two but I very rarely get drunk. I do not like wine or spirits and I have never really got along with cannabis. I don't smoke cigarettes.

The thing I have found with beer is I get a very full feeling before I get drunk so I find it difficult to drink the kind of amounts it takes to get drunk.

I used to get very drunk when I was in my early 20s but this was mainly due to wine and spirits.

So now I just stick to beer

Paul
    PⒶUL

Originally Posted by john'smind
    61 years old
    Thanks for telling me. I have lost a few old head friends this last few years. Unfortunately they didn't make it to your age.
    Im a 20 cups of tea a day chap now, so may see the rest of my friends fall in time.
    Saying that. The ones I knew that fell before their time, through no fault of their own, would probably wish they took more risks when they had a chance. It's all swings and roundabouts. Long peaceful life John.
    So to answer InventiveTim question. No your not alone, you never have been, but you soon could be.
    The following users think this post is groovy: PDCambs

unleash my pharma powers! Daisysmum's Avatar
    What puts me off alcohol is the simple fact (if you don't believe me read Professor Nutt's book - Drugs without the hot air) that there isn't any system in the body that it doesn't cause some form of damage to from the nervous system to the integumentary system and everything in between.

I'm not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. I had a shit day, and despite everything I know my healthy shop managed to include a packet of maccaroons and a bottle of Merlot.

One of my flatmates knocked on the door to wake me, I had fallen asleep after 2 glasses of wine (the small ones tesco sell for picnics) leaving Breaking Bad on a loop. I hadn't even made much dent into the maccarons.

For so much of my life wine was a relatively inexpensive treat

Glad to read this.. I also get weary in the presence of stoners... Try not to be judgemental, but there tends to be a lack of commonality eventually.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Daisysmum, Languid Virago, Muninn

Turning On
    Don't get me wrong...... As I started this post I want to make this clear, I have nothing against weed or alchyhole , I just find it difficult or nigh on impossible to relate conversationally to most I have met that are partaking at that moment,
    Also the smell of weed makes me feel I'll .....is a good reason for avoiding it lol

Turning On
    Also maccaroons RULE .............not as much as recumbent bikes , but they are up there.lol

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by InventiveTIm
    Don't get me wrong...... As I started this post I want to make this clear, I have nothing against weed or alchyhole , I just find it difficult or nigh on impossible to relate conversationally to most I have met that are partaking at that moment,
    Also the smell of weed makes me feel I'll .....is a good reason for avoiding it lol
    Man, weed smelled good at one time, way back in the late 60's and 70's, about the time I used to take a toke now and then. The stuff smoked today is grotesque by comparison, and smells disgusting. And it hangs around on your clothes, and hair and beard if you've got them.
    Making you an easy target for stop and search on the street, itinerant dealers, and yobs wanting to roll you and go through your pockets for stuff.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Lightbringer, yazz

Originally Posted by oldkeith
    Making you an easy target for stop and search on the street, itinerant dealers, and yobs wanting to roll you and go through your pockets for stuff.
    I've never heard of the Police or Drug Squad called by them names before? I know there's good and bad in all professions Oldkeith, but it's just a job.

Young stoners think if it smells strong, it's better blow. So growers oblige, by growing smelly varieties. There are some very nice smelling strains and some that hardly smell at all.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Okifolki

Glad I'm not the only one.

I've never had a problem with stoners - they're generally harmless. But I've noticed that when I'm on the road, and parking up with other travellers, hippy types, crusties, whoever... they can be far too obsessed about their drink, and/or mushrooms. I'm not really a fan of being near groups of people who are on them, as they can be very irrational and unpredictable. I don't need those people around me, and apart from the odd drink and smoke, won't touch it myself. I have enough problems dealing with reality!

That's why I'm quite happy to be a lonewolf on the road, only really parking near to others for safety, not for the social thing. I don't feel like I have much in common with people out there. Going to things like solstice gatherings, or festivals, where alternative people hang out - meh, I'd rather rip my toenails off with a claw hammer to be honest.
    Never Knowingly Understood
    The following users think this post is groovy: Arctist, blue-moves, Duckman

after going to bed at 10 last night, and suffering from noise, bonfire smoke and the smell of weed being smoked next door for the next 2 hours - particularly the kids screaming.
    I still dont like the smell, especially when its users keep me awake half the night.
    Grendel
    We perform the impossible every day - Miracles take a little longer.

Turning On
    I used to go to Glastonbury ( before it was cool) lol
    I used to volunteer in the goose hall and do litter picking get in early leave late and get to keep what you found when litter picking ahhhh good old days,
    As I grew up I used to tell people I met that I saw pink Floyd play live on the pyramid stage.......years later I discovered it was a tribute band ....but hey ho it was real for me as a kid and they where really good....
    I miss my childhood lol
    The following users think this post is groovy: blue-moves

Done to much stuff and been to too many dark places to have the right to disagree with anyone's way of life. Now, don't smoke, do dope or drink except very, very infrequently (I,ve had maybe 3 bottles of Bud and a couple of bottles of wine this year). I am 62 by the way and fit and healthy as fuck.
    Do I ever think about why I'm now leading such a different life? No. there was no "better get my act together" shit or anything, just a natural progression I suppose.
    Because you are alive, everything is posible - Thich Nhat Hanh
    The following users think this post is groovy: Angio, Cobra, Lightbringer