THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Grey Squirrels

Transcending
    Do they taste gud then? Mebe not leve em for the foxes..

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by vanman84
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Do they taste gud then? Mebe not leve em for the foxes..
    i like em!

Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sootyfoot
    i like em!

Thats not squirrel in the picture , its beef.
    The following users think this post is groovy: wurzel

Originally Posted by ma bungo
    Thats not squirrel in the picture , its beef.
    my mistake ma.......

canned squirrel

ready packed

barbecued

fried

or with chips!
    The following users think this post is groovy: wurzel, zendaze

Easy mistake
    Squizz au vin is a regular dish on our menu .
    The following users think this post is groovy: wurzel

lone wolf survivalist.
    squirrels are nuts, they are a kamacarzies !!

Noobie
    I've always blamed sheep for tree loss , in Scotland the forestry comm are fencing off huge areas to allow natural regeneration by keeping out sheep and espescially deer ,.........

Noobie
    Try feeding the birds in your garden and liking grey squirrels. I confess to getting so annoyed I've dispatched several, greedy bullying rodents.

Heavenly Creature
    I bought some amazing squirrel proof bird feeders made of stainless steel. They have a wire steel cylinder, with a solid stainless sleeve (kept up by a light spring) above it. If the birds land on the wire they can feed. If the squirrel tries to get to the nuts from above, the sleeve slides down over the food cage! It really works. Before the feeders I filled the old ones every few days. The steel ones every two weeks! They should have been £20, but I get them reduced at a fiver. Well worth it.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra

I dislike them there always plotting something sinister
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, likahamadoolihan, Sootyfoot

I've attached some fencing wire between two trees about 8ft from the ground and hang feeders on wire from that. It's the best method because its above where I work and I can see it from my shack. It doesn't stop them they will work out a way no matter what.
    To slow them down I have greased the wire, until they started licking it off, put a length of hose over the wire so it spins and they fall off. They ate that. I leave the ivy on the trees so it slows them down long enough for me to get my catapult.
    My dogs have had plenty but still they come.
    They cause untold damage to the trees its not the squirrels its the amount of them that's the problem.
    I don't like sounding like Nigel Farage

update £89

Originally Posted by camperbob
    I've always blamed sheep for tree loss , in Scotland the forestry comm are fencing off huge areas to allow natural regeneration by keeping out sheep and espescially deer ,.........
    They also predate on native wild birds eggs and also fledglings. They can do untold damage to the local bird population.
    In parts of the Midlands and Yorkshire you can now get/apply for a licence/permit to shoot them, with the landowners/managers permission. I believe that you may have to undertake a shooting accuracy test though, before you can get the permit to despatch them with a gun.

I've never witnessed them on the nests here the smallest birds nest in the thickest holly and hawthorn the largest seem to guard their nests and have a mob ready to defend it. I had some chicken feed at the bottom of a wheely bin and they chewed a hole in 10mm hard plastic to get it.
    When they'd eaten it all there was one left unable to climb out. Given enough time they can work out how to get what they want.

Originally Posted by alices wonderland
    In parts of the Midlands and Yorkshire you can now get/apply for a licence/permit to shoot them, with the landowners/managers permission. I believe that you may have to undertake a shooting accuracy test though, before you can get the permit to despatch them with a gun.
    Round here we've always just shot them as vermin - no permit required. Cant see anything on the interweb about requiring a permit - do i need one?

lone wolf survivalist.
    flying rats.
    The following users think this post is groovy: ma bungo

Originally Posted by Rick69
    Round here we've always just shot them as vermin - no permit required. Cant see anything on the interweb about requiring a permit - do i need one?
    Not on your own property . Dont know about on land with permision ? Would kind of make sense you have proof you are competent to be shooting . IE close enough to prey, and where pellets might end up etc .

- - - Updated - - -

Originally Posted by hagrid
    flying rats.
    Tree rats round here

lone wolf survivalist.
    if your shooting on someone else's land get written permission, that way you can show it if stopped-police etc.

Never had written permission, but got the local farmers numbers in phone should the need arise.
    Had a visit once from the local copper whilst out with a .22 rimfire and a shotgun and he seemed more interested in a couple of rabbits once i told him that Martin knew i was on his land - the good old days! I suppose you can expect a helicopter and the firearms unit these days...

lone wolf survivalist.

Never had written permission, but got the local farmers numbers in phone should the need arise.
    Had a visit once from the local copper whilst out with a .22 rimfire and a shotgun and he seemed more interested in a couple of rabbits once i told him that Martin knew i was on his land - the good old days! I suppose you can expect a helicopter and the firearms unit these days...
    if your seen walking across some land with a gun these days you can expect a visit from the armed response team! anything about guns or "country pursuits" sends people into a right tizzy!!

lone wolf survivalist.
    a couple of years ago wife and I got a country college into "lockdown" because we were seen walking along the road with a couple of air rifles....in gun bags! stupid thing was the gun club we were heading to was on college grounds!!!

you can apply for a permit if you are interested in (Volunteering) to control squirrel on Certain areas of land around the Midlands etc.. It's a way for interested individuals to gain shooting access to areas of the Countryside with lawful permission to shoot.
    You Do Not require a permit/licence to shoot/control grey squirrels on your own land or land with with permission.
    Grey Squirrels have some. (Limited) legal protection. Shooting, trapping and poisoning is the best method of controlling them. What rights Grey squirrels do have is under the animal welfare act 2006. It's an offence to cause unnecessary suffering.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Rick69

I think it was countryfile this weekend that highlighted a scheme were pinemartins are being relocated to áreas where grey squirrels are ousting the reds. I hope it is a success because the reds will be left in peace and the greys, when faced with a predator, will move on.
    I think that the wholesale culling of the grey population is entirely wrong and this introduction of the pine martin may be the way forward.
    Of course the main problem is loss of hábitat enforcing species to crowd into ever smaller suitable áreas.
    Because you are alive, everything is posible - Thich Nhat Hanh

lone wolf survivalist.

Originally Posted by etherea
    Of course the main problem is loss of hábitat enforcing species to crowd into ever smaller suitable áreas.
    sounded like you were talking about the human race there!!!
    The following users think this post is groovy: etherea