Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Minimalism

Not Quite a Noobie kampaman&Tracy's Avatar

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by alices wonderland
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    I have a springer air riffle (no gas to refill) I bought a secondhand pigeon caller (whistle) off of the carboot.
    Two fields down from me, is a old neglected orchard, just full of pigeons all year round. Most days now, I have a dozen pigeons sat on a old metal greenhouse frame just yards from my wagon. I think pigeon meat (breast) is excellent & I could now be self sufficient in pigeon meat.
    A farmer told me years ago that having more than 2 pigeons a week can be bad for you? May be crap though.
    The following users think this post is groovy: SUNSHINE AND CO

minimilist ; Im doon tae 4 boxes and 3 tool boxes.
    Soon there will be nothing left of me HUH

I do most of my own stunts because the stunt guys show me how.

Originally Posted by kampaman&Tracy
    A farmer told me years ago that having more than 2 pigeons a week can be bad for you? May be crap though.
    He must be speaking from experience. I've not seen anything on the TV to say it would be good for us.
    1 X pigeon
    1 X collared dove
    2 X rabbits
    1 X pheasant
    1 X mallard
    1 X swan
    That is what we were considering to be a balanced weekly meat diet, obviously vegetables are seasonal too.

note: pigeon and collared dove are not related by species.
    Rabbits can be any combination:: Buck's, Doe's, Buck and Doe, Buck and brother Buck, Buck and son bunny, Buck and daughter bunny, Doe and daughter bunny etc, but are usually related.
    Back on topic

Originally Posted by marcco
    living this way I have found that I have much less waste......my neighbors get the wheely bin emptied every week.....it takes me 6 weeks to fill mine up
    The wheelie bin grrr i get so angry..... i have a family of six my non recycling bin takes at least a month maybe longer to fill where as i have neighbors with maybe two people who could fill a bin cart on there own.
    The following users think this post is groovy: treestump

Not sure if I could be a minimalist to an excessive degree, but when we moved house, we fell into the trap of emptying the loft bringing it all with us to store in our next loft, ( 12 years ago ) over the last year, we have gone through the loft, sorting , donating, and throwing away STUFF. I don't know why, we as humans , seem to want to hold onto all this STUFF that we will probably never ever use again.
    The wardrobes were next, we were at the stage of saying , we need more wardrobes, I haven't got room for my clothes !!! So we went through the wardrobes getting rid of clothes that didn't fit, and possibly would never fit again, clothes that were bought on a whim, because they were cheap, or bought for One occasion, ( a sparkly waistcoat isn't my everyday wear ).
    Books were my thing, a had hundreds of them, I went through them and put aside my absolute favourites, I sold some and bought a Kindle, a lot were donated to charity shops, I use the laptop for reference now and print off information if and when I need it, ( caught myself the other day putting my printouts in a file , why ? )
    Ornaments and nik naks have been another thing to go, only keeping specials , ( why do people give you ornaments as gifts, then expect you to display them in your home ) ?
    Well the long and the short of it is, that after a year, we have got rid of just over 100 boxes and bin liners of STUFF that we no longer need, a lot has been donated and we have raised around £500 for charities.
    It's not over by a long way, there's a kitchen to go through, with cuboards bulging with STUFF, a spare bedroom with God knows what stored and hidden in it, outside shed's..full, lol, it's easy to get demoralized sometimes just by the share scale of it, but over time, tackling One area and then another, you slowly work your way through it. When we have to leave the tied cottage that we are in, I don't want to have 3 x 7 1/2 ton lorry loads to move, and I don't want to be in the position of trying to get rid of it all in One go.
    Is our home still overcrowed with STUFF ? well yes it is, but at least we have got rid of a hell of a lot, and more to follow in the coming year.

"The best way to get something done , is to begin "
    The following users think this post is groovy: Fire-Tree, nicklincs, oldkeith, parrotandcrow, Sootyfoot, treestump

Heavenly Creature
    Well done, Patchypete! We have loads of stuff too, and it is hard to get rid of some, because we tend to have lots of interests and hobbies between us, and with every hobby or interest comes more materials, more stuff to find room for. At one time it used to drive me nuts, now I just have a philosophical attitude and shrug it off.
    I have a friend in the same position, and one day, talking about his overcrowded loft, he said:
    'Well, when I pass on the kids and grand-kids are going to have a helluva week trying to clear all that stuff out. I can't be bothered to go up there now and even look at it!'
    Another friend has three rented garages, a loft, a spare bedroom, two garden sheds, and a workshop attached to the house, all full of his and his wife's stuff! He can't even use his workshop, any of it, for stuff! It's enough to make you cry, just looking at it. (He used to be a builder, before he retired, and builders do tend to accumulate stuff at a fearful rate. He also has three classic cars in various states of disrepair in three other rented garages, which have no electric, so it's difficult to work on the cars - no gennies allowed).
    Why is it we collect all this stuff? We weren't that deprived as kids, that I can remember. We didn't have much, but we made the best of what we had, and made do and mended things. Attachment to objects, is it just a human trait?

There is a Buddhist saying that a person can give up all their material possessions and become a monk or a nun, but if they are still attached to their begging bowl, their last material possession, they are no better off...
    The following users think this post is groovy: patchypete, treestump

I know what you mean about hobbies, oldkeith, I used to enjoy doing a bit of woodwork, making items of furniture such as wardrobes, blanket boxes, radiator covers, school desks, key boxes all sorts of things, with a limited tool kit, a cheap router, small chop saw...... then I got more equipment, better tools, more and more, well now I can't get in the garage to use all those fantastic tools, no room left, so I haven't made anything for 2 years now.

I always liked to Sea fish from the shore, a rod , a reel, and a few bits and pieces made it all fun. Then I thought it would be good to specimen fish, so proper rods and reels and all the equipment that went with it, clothing, shelters, bigger tackle boxes to carry it all.
    Light rock fishing..... check
    spinning........... check
    float fishing..... check
    night/day fishing....check
    lights, tripods, waterproofs, waders,
    then I started to make all my own rigs, more boxes...line, beads, weights, crimps, etc etc
    I now have a very large cuboard full of fishing equipment, I couldn't even tell you how many rods and reels that I have, some reels must be 5 years old and never been used.
    I suppose it's just human nature to collect or accumulate STUFF.
    "The best way to get something done , is to begin "
    The following users think this post is groovy: oldkeith, rumpusmany, Sootyfoot

It becomes a curse. I'm currently having a massive clear out and destash.

Do we own stuff or does it own us ? I feel my life has silted up.

Good luck to all trying to downsize.
    The following users think this post is groovy: nicklincs, oldkeith, patchypete, Sootyfoot, treestump

Originally Posted by madcat
    It becomes a curse. I'm currently having a massive clear out and destash.

Do we own stuff or does it own us ? I feel my life has silted up.

Good luck to all trying to downsize.

I think to some degree stuff kind of gets a grip of you.
    Im amazed by how much everything costs brand new then when its time to chuck, donate or sell it.... Im lucky if I can achieve 5% of the original value.
    The following users think this post is groovy: nicklincs, oddballdave, patchypete

Its pretty simple really, buy what you need, not what you want.
    The following users think this post is groovy: nicklincs, patchypete, treestump

Minimalism was actually my way into van obsession. I fell in love with the idea and naturally ended up looking in tiny homes, and then nomads and vandwellers. And I knew I just had to try it.

I'm trying to get rid of a lot of my belongings but it's a long slow process. It's easy to get rid of a lot of clothes and tat because they're easy to chuck or donate. The trouble is nice stuff that might actually be worth a few bob, and actually getting round to selling it. And gifts that you feel bad about getting rid of. And then of course my ultimate vice: books.

Minimalism is hard work!
    The following users think this post is groovy: nicklincs, patchypete, Raffi, treestump

Do you think you can get 'addicted' to minimalism? Before anyone kicks off, I don't mean properly addicted like drug addiction, I just mean like really strong feelings of having to get rid of more stuff? I get a bit like that sometimes. Feeling it right now. I look at things and scrutinise their purpose and the space they take up etc. I have two small baskets of clothes with me in the van. One for bottoms, one for tops. The bottoms one has loads of space in it, and the tops one is about full. I'd say I have less than 5% of what most people would have clothes wise (in my experience of knowing how many clothes people have, anyway!) but I still want to get rid of more. I'm very happy traipsing around in the same clothes every day and just washing them overnight or whatever when I don't need to wear them. No interest in clothes, no desire to have more, no care for labels or designers or whatever (except for one jumper I have that is just GORGEOUS in so many ways... that's the only piece of clothing I actually 'care' about owning). Anyway... anyone else get like this with possessions or downsizing? I'm nearly at the point of having very very little left! Happy though!
    Last edited by Raffi; 27-04--2016 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Got too excited typing, ergo too many typos.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Fire-Tree, patchypete, treestump

lone wolf survivalist.
    I used to be a minimalist-then I got married!!

Originally Posted by Raffi
    Do you think you can get 'addicted' to minimalism? Before anyone kicks off, I don't mean properly addicted like drug addiction, I just mean like really strong feelings of having to get rid of more stuff? I get a bit like that sometimes. Feeling it right now. I look at things and scrutinise their purpose and the space they take up etc. I have two small baskets of clothes with me in the van. One for bottoms, one for tops. The bottoms one has loads of space in it, and the tops one is about full. I'd say I have less than 5% of what most people would have clothes wise (in my experience of knowing how many clothes people have, anyway!) but I still want to get rid of more. I'm very happy traipsing around in the same clothes every day and just washing them overnight or whatever when I don't need to wear them. No interest in clothes, no desire to have more, no care for labels or designers or whatever (except for one jumper I have that is just GORGEOUS in so many ways... that's the only piece of clothing I actually 'care' about owning). Anyway... anyone else get like this with possessions or downsizing? I'm nearly at the point of having very very little left! Happy though!
    I think yes - you can become addicted to a minimalist lifestyle.
    Especially if you get a positive vibe from getting rid of things.
    I cant help my self - I just keep getting rid of things.
    In fact all my clothes can fit in a 35 litre ruck sack - All my clothes.
    I have three tool boxes which I have been trying to find ways to reduce that but its my tools...
    I just cant part with any of them because they are Useful.
    I like useful things.

Originally Posted by treestump
    I think yes - you can become addicted to a minimalist lifestyle.
    Especially if you get a positive vibe from getting rid of things.
    I cant help my self - I just keep getting rid of things.
    In fact all my clothes can fit in a 35 litre ruck sack - All my clothes.
    I have three tool boxes which I have been trying to find ways to reduce that but its my tools...
    I just cant part with any of them because they are Useful.
    I like useful things.
    If they are useful, don't get rid!

I heard an interesting breakdown on minimalism and how to get rid of things. Every item can be categorised as Treasure, Tool, or Trash. Anything that's useful is good to keep, so long as you actually do use it. The goal is not simply to get rid of things, but to ensure that all the things you DO have are valuable and enriching to your life

I think you can get addicted to minimalism as well. For me I have found that sometimes when I'm stressed I start getting rid of things because it helps me feel in control of my life. I can imagine how this could be taken to extremes, especially if you start getting rid of things that you need. But I have so much crap that that's not really a problem for me!
    The following users think this post is groovy: nicklincs, patchypete, treestump

Took the van back to Lincs to get it repaired by my trusty mechanic, and whilst I was there I visited family to do the usual huge van clean up with the access to mains leccy. Decided when I was cleaning up that I still had too many clothes, despite the fact that I had pared them down to two shallow baskets. I now have half as many, and I'm just as happy!

Here's a thought....... do we really need underwear? Now, gents, I've heard things about man-bit-health and how underwear affects that, so you may have a reason to keep underwear more than the ladies. But ladies, what do you think? Can we go even more minimal and get rid of that? I know someone who barely ever wears underwear, and she's pretty happy. Knowing how crazy I am about my minimalism at the moment, I can see that being the next thing to go!

I know several people of both sexes who never wear underwear. I wear a lot of wafty skirts that blow about everywhere in the wind, so I wear underwear to protect innocent bystanders from inadvertent flashing.

We gents need underwear to prevent things getting caught in zips!
    Maybe buttons are the way to go? On second thoughts maybe not, buttons have gaps between them!

I'm all for downsizing when it comes to clothes as I, like most people have too many. I regularly off load stuff to the charity shops but the trouble is I like to browse in them as well so it becomes more of an exchange than a downsize .

Perhaps that's the answer, a clothes exchange.
    Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot, Uncle jhad

Ecobob, Todger trapped in zipper is one of the most painful things ever.... damn right we wear undies!
    Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

a rolled up pair of kegs take up no room,i can get loads in my pockets
    now a rolled up pair of boots or shoes that's another story

Jesus is not your friend Fire-Tree's Avatar
    Thank you for posting that TS.

I've always been one for throwing things away. I get moaned at a lot for it too!

Underwear is overrated, although after being braless for 6 months, I'm wearing a crop top to hold them in place...

Currently getting rid of more possessions, considering 80% of what I own is already in a van, I'm winning. I also aim to fit into a rucksack. I know that I do not need any of it. I want some of it. I think I need some of it. Yet in reality, I need nothing.
    Blog: Experiencing England in a car with no money
    The following users think this post is groovy: treestump

Here are two of my favourite you tubers - I follow them every week. I don’t aspire to be exactly like them as i have my own path however much of what they talk about is on the same level as myself.
    First one is
    Brittany Taylor from simplelivingandtravel.com

Conor Mcmillen - Thriving Minimalist.com

I’ve found a lot of people are quite scared of those of us who seek to take minimalism to an extreme. Infact people are scared of anything thats very different from what they know. Why i have no idea but i find it funny really i do.

Having nothing or very little does not mean you have to give up on your ambitions, it just means that your ambitions are different for those who choose a corporate success.
    Truth is SUCCESS is happiness.
    There is no right or wrong way to living your life ... but having a true sense of authenticity and being happy living that life- That's where its at.

Am i happy all of the time?... no ..BUT I am by far happier now that I am poorer than when i was well off financially.
    Why?? because i switched off my telly and stopped listening to the capitalist BULLSHIT that brainwashes us into feeling the need to have the latest stuff.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Fire-Tree

I am so passionate about this subject that I have written some of my own tips to becoming free'er happier through the minimalism approach.

1st tips
    You want to change your life?
    Start small but START TODAY.....
    Perhaps you want to write a book,? or budget for a holiday? or look for a new job? or give up the life you have for something different?
    If you make a small start on your plan TODAY then youíve made one step towards your goal ( even if its only dedicating 5 minutes to your first Ppage or chapter of the book, or getting a jar labelled up with "Holiday funds")... at least youíve made a start.
    Momentum and reward
    Now that you have made one small step towards your goals you have to keep up with it Momentum
    Do something however big or small towards your goal daily so that you can keep building up the progress.
    Dont forget to reward yourself with whatever you see as being Your reward. A party, some lovely food, a good book, some time alone.

Minimise Bad habits Get rid of what doesnít serve as a good and healthy purpose in your life.
    Dont try to do it all on one week or one month, even a year. Minimalism takes time to get used to. Remember we are all programed to acquire more stuff.
    You can look at reducing your time participating in bad habits, smoking drinking too much, drugs, social media. Whatever YOU consider to be YOUR bad habit.
    Minimise Bad people Start looking at friendships that donít serve you ( this one is a big one) if you donít feel a person is adding to your life - get rid or reduce your exposure to that person.
    Minimise your belongings You can then start on things like material objects. Start boxing up things you dont need dont use or dont like. This is a fun way to declutter your mind your home and your life. You can even help someone in need by donating them your stuff. or you can sell it and put the money towards adventures you want to create in your life.
    Minimise your lifestyle This could be hobbies that you donít really take part in anymore or activities you no longer enjoy, duties responibilities that you dislike. Now you can free up YOUR time to find and dedicate your time to the things you love or that you think you will love.

The biggest most important tip is have fun doing whatever you do, be in the moment and try not to compare yourself with others. You are creating YOUR OWN STORY
    XX
    The following users think this post is groovy: Fire-Tree, oddballdave, Offgrid hero, Raffi