THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Minimalism

how does a thread about minimalism end up 50% about shooting??!?! gotta love the internet huh. especially copy n paste gun laws!

anyway, I'm not anti killing animals for food, but I would rather talk about the minimalism thing...

I like the vid, like the sentiment, etc... lets face it, this is pretty much all-spiritualist-teachings-ever. The noteable thing for me, in a slightly negative way, is that it's american and has to be "a thing".... this whole "I'm a minimalist"... it's another ego-hook identity. It just seems more reasonable because it doesn't come with a gothic church. How long is it before there's a list of rules, and someone offering paid "services" to support the lifestyle.

maybe I'm just a cynic.

You are very right FFS
    The two examples of the people featured in their you tubes, talking about minimalism are actually profiting from their ideologies.
    But.... come on - they are truly living the life they want to live and they are minimalists. You can not expect them to live on fresh air can you?

Every single idea is turned into a money spinner. It s the way of things.
    Until we humans can find other ways of inhabiting this earth without the need for cash or cards, I am afraid earning an income is always going to be a priority. Having said that - isnt it better to make a living from something you whole heatedly believe in?
    Whether it be encouraging others to do good in life, eat more healthy, rely on less advertising, minimise their outgoings, keep fitter, take care of their planet etc etc

I do understand what you are saying though FFS with regards to the way of fads, trends and niche markets. They kind of end up becoming buzz words for BIG BUSINESS, Packaging everything with key words like minimalist, eco, sustainable etc, etc. They kick the arse out of any idea until it no longer makes them money. Then on to the new buzz word: rinse and repeat.

I don’t think its just Americans that are good killing the joy in something innocent in pursuit of dollars
    Us Brits and indeed many other cultures overuse words for anything and everything to make it fashionably desirable to the wannabes or newbies.

Take for instance the words "free range" or "eco building" - No longer is Eco building a back yard trend for a few skint outdoorsy types who want to build a low impact structure from items they have skip raked.. Eco building has changed and become a multi-million pound industry for the rich who fancy an eco hut on the back lawn for their kids or as a studio or home office.

I do have to agree that once someone comes up with an idea, its not long before it is marketed to death and everyone loses sight of the original concept or idea. That's capitalism folks and thats the world we live in.

All we can do is our own little bit.
    My way is to cut down on the crap I purchase. If the capitalists have one less customer - they have one less pound. The fewer customers they have - the less dosh and power they have over us.
    Minimalism is my god LOL
    I do most of my own stunts because the stunt guys show me how.
    The following users think this post is groovy: andyvw, David Byron, jimbouk

Jesus is not your friend Fire-Tree's Avatar
    Mother complaining about my minimalism today, probably because she has more clothess than I have posessions and I'm making her look bad.
    Blog: Experiencing England in a car with no money
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd

Chilling Out
    Well whatever the opposite of minimalism is ? maximalism ? that's me ,if I threw everything in a skip and just had my boots , jeans ( button fly levis so boxers on ) and a t-shirt , before I had walked a mile I would of picked up a bit of tat from a skip or someone's front garden

Not Quite a Noobie
    Love the Connor McMillen video - very inspiring. I've decluttered my house from time to time, but this takes it to a different level altogether.

I would love to be able to make a major lifestyle change to better suit my personality and beliefs but it seems such a huge hurdle to get there as I'm so attached to the (false) feelings of security my current lifestyle gives me.

I think getting rid of stuff and dealing with my charity shop addiction will be a good place to start!

I am really enjoying getting rid of shit.

Just been under the floor and found a massive box of books that have survived previous attempts to de-clutter and have put 90% in the second hand bookshop pile.

I feel cleansed

Paul
    PⒶUL
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, Fire-Tree

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by treestump
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This one is a fantastic story
    I've just watched this, found it very interesting
    they are promoting everything I've always said
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket

I'm not convinced by these brand conscious minimalist, huggers......I find it suspect that their minimal kit, whilst functional and of expensive quality has been acquired without much failed experimentation......I see them as being 'on message' but they present as mass consumers who have peaked by spending thousands on consumer goods then minimalised at a level of material satisfaction that is beyond the reach of most capitalised westerners.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, MacMac, NomadicRT

Originally Posted by zendaze
    I'm not convinced by these brand conscious minimalist, huggers......I find it suspect that their minimal kit, whilst functional and of expensive quality has been acquired without much failed experimentation......I see them as being 'on message' but they present as mass consumers who have peaked by spending thousands on consumer goods then minimalised at a level of material satisfaction that is beyond the reach of most capitalised westerners.
    Yeah I found the expensive branded clothing amusing. I noticed a lot of the people were authors of books too, great way of advertising, the snippets of the book they wrote sounded shit and the blonde one still came across as a massive pompous twat

Heavenly Creature
    It's an old story. Bottom line is that stuff ends up owning you. It was ever thus, and it is a simple truth. I discovered minimalism when I was about 10, and my happiest days have been the penniless ones.

Warning - not everyone will understand you. If your partner doesn't, look out!
    The following users think this post is groovy: BigNich, cricket, Lightbringer

I am having a clear out of the Airstream this weekend. I bring books home from work and once I have read them they remain in piles and cupboards and lockers. Then they end up getting damp and holding onto moisture and going moldy and gather dust etc

I am also going to go through all my clothes and get rid of most of them. I have a locker full of t-shirts etc. It is rammed to such an extent that when I open the door they tumble out onto the floor. I probably only wear 3 or 4 t-shirts which get washed, stuffed in the locker and then worn again when they fall out on the floor.

I don't even know what is in the rest of the locker. I probably haven't worn most of the clothes in there for over a year. So, most of them can go to the charity shop.

I am really starting to hate clutter which is surprising as I am naturally a hoarder.

paul
    PⒶUL
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Lightbringer, patchypete

We've moved around so much over the years,we don't have enough time to accumulate much stuff.Everytime we've moved,I sort out what we have,and what we dont need/use anymore ,and the charity shop gets them.I find the less I have,the more relaxed I am.
    The following users think this post is groovy: BigNich, cricket, Lightbringer, patchypete, Uncle jhad

I feel lucky that I've now got my possessions down to a car, tools, flight sized bag. I'll be leaving the tools with friends to use and selling the car. I've only ever rented and moved from a 3 bedroom house down to winter let holiday apartments, all the while shedding "stuff" (and a relationship), so I really will just have a bag on my shoulder and the ability to travel freely and help good causes/charities along the way. If I'm on one continent long enough (and when I get back) I may get a van and use that as my base. Being mortgage and child/animal free helps. It's taken a few years but I'm heading in "my" right direction. I breathe deeper now, smile more, with such a great feeling of freedom, gratitude and relief
    The hippies were right; gratitude, compassion and altruism are the way.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, cricket, nicklincs

Transcending

Originally Posted by boneheaddread
    Well whatever the opposite of minimalism is ? maximalism ? that's me ,if I threw everything in a skip and just had my boots , jeans ( button fly levis so boxers on ) and a t-shirt , before I had walked a mile I would of picked up a bit of tat from a skip or someone's front garden
    That's me too. When I moved from the South East and rented a house for a while I had to rent 3 x 40ft shipping containers to keep all my stuff in, it was a tight squeeze. My wife is naturally tidy, so now that we have a smaller house I keep hardly any of my stuff in there, luckily we have massive outbuildings and a shipping container.

I'll never get rid of my stuff - it's all too useful, honestly ;-)
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Sootyfoot

Ive lived with "it will be useful someday" persons twice and it leaves me feeling overwhelmed,boxed in.At present in a place where there is loadsa stuff all in storage bits in the house,but there is no order at all.Each "pile"is of random stuff.I alweays think if you want to find things then it saves time knowing where to find it.Having moved many times i do find that there are three boxes i cannot ever leave behind or dump though they are of no use at all.These boxes contain my childrens first boots,books, toys,paintings and drawings,school reports,first tooth and curls plus many photographs.In a disaster after the living beings i would save these boxes first.Is this just a mother thing?As for the bigger stuff this move...the storage fees now far outweigh the value of the items...but where else will i get another Kashmir wool massive rug for the 50 it cost in an auction?

I'm a hoarder and proud of it! My dad and I used to have workshops next door to each other...one day we got to cleaning out, I threw out a ton of stuff....my dad threw out a ton of stuff"...afterwards mum asked where all the stuff was....I had wombled 90% of what Dad threw out and he did the same with my tat...

Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, cricket, Lightbringer, Rick69

Originally Posted by Sootyfoot
    I'm a hoarder and proud of it! My dad and I used to have workshops next door to each other...one day we got to cleaning out, I threw out a ton of stuff....my dad threw out a ton of stuff"...afterwards mum asked where all the stuff was....I had wombled 90% of what Dad threw out and he did the same with my tat...

Thats funny

I reckon the world needs hoarders... after all with all us minimalists, we need somewhere to come and beg borrow a loan of your circular saw lol

No on a serious note, it is great that every one is different.
    I dont think it is a weakness nor a strength to have a minimalist life or a hoarders life. It should be each to their own.
    There have been times in my life that Ive hoarded, but i guess after relationship break ups, moves of house i just got damn sick of reinvesting to have all that stuff again and again.
    I do most of my own stunts because the stunt guys show me how.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, jimbouk

I try to control my hoarding (that i got from my dad) by containing it to the garage and the garden. When it spills over to the house i know its time to start cutting a bit down much to the relief of the missus.

Although i have now built two wood sheds which contain more than wood, and ive got a car on the drive which is now a glorified shed and full of more hoarded stuff. Oh and theres some behind the garage, and some in the loft because the missus doesnt go up there....
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, patchypete, Sootyfoot

Ahhhh yes lofts. We don't mention lofts...not since the ceiling came in and my then wife demanded to know why a triumph T140 engine was sitting amongst the remains of the bathroom sink...

The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Lightbringer, patchypete, Rick69, treestump

Lol - i was once subject to enquiries as to why there were various motorcycle parts in the dishwasher when she came home from work unexpectedly early one day....
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, patchypete, Sootyfoot

Transcending
    There is a common point to the "hoarder" posts - mention of Dads. This is not a coincidence, we learn a lot from our Dads, and mine was the youngest of 9 kids in a poor family. Everything my Dad got was worn out hand-me-down, he learned from an early age to make-do-and-mend, it made him a very practical and skilled man who I'm proud of. If I have learned to "hoard" because of him then I'm happy about it.

Cricket wrote about her precious box of kids stuff, I have the same, playschool paintings, school reports, even the letters home when they misbehaved. They're worth more than anything else I possess.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Lightbringer, Rick69

Originally Posted by Rick69
    Lol - i was once subject to enquiries as to why there were various motorcycle parts in the dishwasher when she came home from work unexpectedly early one day....
    Been there..slept on the couch.

Transcending

Originally Posted by Sootyfoot
    Ahhhh yes lofts. We don't mention lofts...not since the ceiling came in and my then wife demanded to know why a triumph T140 engine was sitting amongst the remains of the bathroom sink...
    There, but by the grace of God........etc,.

I boarded out my loft with 1.5" chipboard, and fitted the whole area out with workbenches. It made a great hobby room for me and the boys, until it got full of "stuff".
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, patchypete

Originally Posted by Boaty McBoatface
    There, but by the grace of God........etc,.

I boarded out my loft with 1.5" chipboard, and fitted the whole area out with workbenches. It made a great hobby room for me and the boys, until it got full of "stuff".
    Mine was boarded with loft boards ...but when the engine fell off the workmate....it bounced onto the part without boards and...well..