THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive at the current donation rate! We currently have over 17000 members & if everyone donated we would never need to ask for money again. Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford it please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Minimalism

Sex
    Male

Minimalism

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This one is a fantastic story
    I do most of my own stunts because the stunt guys show me how.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer

Ah found it! Moderator FriedOnion's Avatar
    Sex
    Male
    I moved this one to its own thread to make it easier to discuss.

It reminded me a bit of the George Carlin stuff sketch. I think it's a great concept. I'm sure a lot of us don't have a lot of stuff due to being skint, however we still have stuff that we feel completes us when in fact it's unnecessary. I have stuff that has followed me on 5+ house moves that hasn't left the box in that time, but I keep just in case.

There are flaws in their idea, do I take my stuffed dragon out of the box? I don't neeeed it but... it improves the look of the room & makes me smile. Maybe one dragon is fine but a collection not so much?

I know a guy who this could be perfect for, too much work leading to plenty of money but believing he is poor, probably all spent on stuff.

Sex
    Male
    Thanks for moving thread to a more appropriate area FriedOnion
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I like these guys and you know what... if you go on to their website

and head to the "DONATE " page - they were approached by Google and offered a 6 figure sum because thier site attracts so much traffic.
    They refused and politely told Google to poke it up their arse LOL
    On the grounds that they didnt want to compromise what they are promoting.
    HATS OFF TO THEM
    Last edited by FriedOnion; 10-01--2016 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Fixed the url.

Sex
    Male
    It's nice to see people that are practising what they preach. On the other hand they could have used that money to promote their ideology or even given it to charity. Though I don't think you have any control over the google ads that appear, it would be amusing for an ad some frivolity to appear next to their words.

Not Quite a Noobie
    Sex
    Male
    I live this life....I live well below the poverty line ....but im not in poverty....no stress ...no dependancies.......I call this lifestyle a huge success....and living without dependacy on machines .....machines cost money....dependant on both of these causes stress,,,money and ,consumerism can cause obsessiveness....( im must hover my 600 cream carpet twice a day)...
    Last edited by marcco; 10-01--2016 at 09:08 PM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, Lightbringer, treestump

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by marcco
    I live this life
    Out of choice or cause you're skint?

Not Quite a Noobie
    Sex
    Male
    people get distorted by modern day consumerism ...having things we don't need.....when all we need to do is focuss on the things we do need....like proper healthy food
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, etherea, Fire-Tree, kampaman&Tracy, nicklincs, SUNSHINE AND CO, treeboy, treestump

I am a firm believer in keeping life simple and clutter free, I only have what I need and not
    what I want, my life is very minimal and I like it that way, I have very little stress in my life
    because I don't buy into the 'keeping up with the Jones' lifestyle, big house, big car mentality,
    I live very well on 100 a week, I live this way not because I am skint but because I chose too.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, nicklincs, patchypete, SUNSHINE AND CO, treeboy, treestump, Trev

exiled cornishman wandering gypsy's Avatar
    Sex
    Male
    I quite like the idea of being a minimalist, but 4 bikes a truck and a van aint quite cutting it
    The following users think this post is groovy: Colin M, patchypete, treestump

Tuning In
    Sex
    Male
    my thinking on this has always been that when all my possessions fit into a rucksack I will have achieved something.maybe this is due to living on boats or in trailers idont know,but when I work for people with huge houses i don't feel any sort of envy I just think glad I don't have to heat,furnish or clean it!
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, Fire-Tree, FriedOnion, kampaman&Tracy, nicklincs, patchypete, treestump

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by treeboy
    my thinking on this has always been that when all my possessions fit into a rucksack I will have achieved something.maybe this is due to living on boats or in trailers idont know,but when I work for people with huge houses i don't feel any sort of envy I just think glad I don't have to heat,furnish or clean it!
    Yep i whole heartedly agree with this statement.
    They say "The more you have, The more you have to worry about"
    I think thats true also.
    The following users think this post is groovy: nicklincs, patchypete

Not Quite a Noobie
    Sex
    Male
    I have got my living costs down to 50 a week ..that includes...utility bills and eating fresh meat and veg most days
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, nicklincs, treestump

Sex
    Male
    I've had a look at their website & gone off it a bit. The idea is good but their site becomes a bit preachy & monotonous, their ideas won't work for everyone either, i.e. not for me. Get rid of your tv go watch with a friend, don't have exercise stuff; go to a gym & meet people, etc... I don't like people!
    The following users think this post is groovy: patchypete, treestump

Not Quite a Noobie
    Sex
    Male
    give up smoking ..scrap the car......invest in chest freezer.they ony cost 4p per day to run.....grow lots of veg ..blanch and freeze ,,and slowly consume over the the winter months....iff you liv alone ...buy 6 of topside beef....and make it last for 3 meals ..eat well for less...much less...
    The following users think this post is groovy: patchypete

Not Quite a Noobie
    Sex
    Male
    living this way I have found that I have much less waste......my neighbours get the wheely bin emptied every week.....it takes me 6 weeks to fill mine up
    The following users think this post is groovy: patchypete, SUNSHINE AND CO

Not Quite a Noobie
    Sex
    Male
    and iff you wanna be really adventurous..which I haven't tried yet.....get your self air riffle ....hunt rabbit and pigeon....and hey presto apart from milk and maybe some eggs .....you've virtualy got you food bill down to zero

Sex
    Male
    Reminds me of student days reading this - everything went in one bag including the bedding and the clothes.
    When I got married everything went in the back of a Ford Fiesta.
    Things changed long before we got the bus but I still love the idea of not being owned by my possessions. Must be a Paul Young song.
    To be the reiver and the rime of the sea
    The following users think this post is groovy: nicklincs

Sex
    Female
    It is so easy to live frugally. In my opinion there is only one pre-requisite. You're mind has to already be there!
    Because you are alive, everything is posible - Thich Nhat Hanh
    The following users think this post is groovy: dollybassett, Languid Virago, nicklincs, treestump

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    Sex
    Female

and iff you wanna be really adventurous..which I haven't tried yet.....get your self air riffle ....hunt rabbit and pigeon....and hey presto apart from milk and maybe some eggs .....you've virtualy got you food bill down to zero
    Not that simple,

A) You need to be a good shot to kill cleanly

B) You need some where to do this legally , being caught with an air rifle poaching is a serious offence (maybe that's the adventurous bit
    )

C) You need to be able to get close enough to the creature in the first place (20 mtrs tops for an airifle )
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by ma bungo
    Not that simple,

B) You need some where to do this legally , being caught with an air rifle poaching is a serious offence (maybe that's the adventurous bit
    )

C) You need to be able to get close enough to the creature in the first place (20 mtrs tops for an airifle )

POACHING is the LEAST of your worries......"Armed Trespass"

Statute Law
    The Penalties for breaking current UK firearms laws with Airguns are as follows:-
    Carrying a loaded Air-weapon in a public place 6 months imprisonment and / or 5,000 fine.
    Trespassing with an air weapon 3 months imprisonment and / or 2,500 fine.
    Trespassing on private land with an air weapon 3 months imprisonment and / or 2,500 fine.

Possessing or using an air weapon if sentenced to 3 months or more in custody 3 months imprisonment and / or 2,500 fine.
    In addition if original sentence up to 3 years 5 year ban on use of firearms.
    Or if for 3 years or more Life ban on use of firearms.
    Killing or injuring any bird or protected animal unless authorised 5,000 fine.
    Firing an air weapon within 15m / 50ft of a public highway 1,000 fine.
    Selling or hiring air weapon or ammunition to person under 17 6 months imprisonment and / or 5,000 fine.
    Making a gift of air weapon or ammunition to person under 14 1,000 fine.
    Having air weapon or ammunition with intent to damage property 10 years imprisonment.
    Having air weapon with intent to endanger life Life imprisonment and / or appropriate fine.
    Using air weapon to resist or prevent arrest Life imprisonment and / or appropriate fine.
    Threatening others with an air weapon (even if unloaded) to cause them to fear unlawful violence 10 years imprisonment and / or appropriate fine.
    Not forgetting the chance of being shot and killed by the police should you not obey instructions when challenged by them, they cannot tell if you have just an airgun or a more lethal firearm so will treat all arms as lethal and respond accordingly ( that means SHOOTING YOU!)

- - - Updated - - -

Originally Posted by ma bungo
    Not that simple,

)

POACHING is the LEAST of your worries......"Armed Trespass"

Statute Law
    The Penalties for breaking current UK firearms laws with Airguns are as follows:-
    Carrying a loaded Air-weapon in a public place 6 months imprisonment and / or 5,000 fine.
    Trespassing with an air weapon 3 months imprisonment and / or 2,500 fine.
    Trespassing on private land with an air weapon 3 months imprisonment and / or 2,500 fine.

Possessing or using an air weapon if sentenced to 3 months or more in custody 3 months imprisonment and / or 2,500 fine.
    In addition if original sentence up to 3 years 5 year ban on use of firearms.
    Or if for 3 years or more Life ban on use of firearms.
    Killing or injuring any bird or protected animal unless authorised 5,000 fine.
    Firing an air weapon within 15m / 50ft of a public highway 1,000 fine.
    Selling or hiring air weapon or ammunition to person under 17 6 months imprisonment and / or 5,000 fine.
    Making a gift of air weapon or ammunition to person under 14 1,000 fine.
    Having air weapon or ammunition with intent to damage property 10 years imprisonment.
    Having air weapon with intent to endanger life Life imprisonment and / or appropriate fine.
    Using air weapon to resist or prevent arrest Life imprisonment and / or appropriate fine.
    Threatening others with an air weapon (even if unloaded) to cause them to fear unlawful violence 10 years imprisonment and / or appropriate fine.
    Not forgetting the chance of being shot and killed by the police should you not obey instructions when challenged by them, they cannot tell if you have just an airgun or a more lethal firearm so will treat all arms as lethal and respond accordingly ( that means SHOOTING YOU!)
    Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    Sex
    Female
    This was the point I was making Sootyfoot , you might as well have an AK47
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot

Sex
    Male

and iff you wanna be really adventurous..which I haven't tried yet.....get your self air riffle ....hunt rabbit and pigeon....
    I have a springer air riffle (no gas to refill) I bought a secondhand pigeon caller (whistle) off of the carboot.
    Two fields down from me, is a old neglected orchard, just full of pigeons all year round. Most days now, I have a dozen pigeons sat on a old metal greenhouse frame just yards from my wagon. I think pigeon meat (breast) is excellent & I could now be self sufficient in pigeon meat.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman

Sex
    Male
    They really have tightened up the law regarding air riffle use. The gov would like to make it so a firearms license is required and renewed every 4 years. This will take such weapons out of many people's hands. The market will become flooded with very cheap, very powerful gas charged air riffles.

Sex
    Male
    Lol i know you guys wanna chat about air riffles and shooting fluffy bunnys. ( Helss bells i knew a guy who lived like that and seldom had to visit a shop at all)
    However we could maybe set up a whole new thread about that somewhere else but tonight Mathew... im gonna be - "the thread police" and get us back on track with the current topic ...
    What is that i hear? pitter patter of tiny Jester feet coming

Originally Posted by etherea
    It is so easy to live frugally. In my opinion there is only one pre-requisite. You're mind has to already be there!
    I agree with this. Any lifestyle change is a mindset.
    I was just talking to someone about that recently. How being homeless can make you feel insecure about ever owning too much again...
    Life events such as having your home taken away or your right to be housed can leave you feeling vulnerable.
    Makes you look at what you really need in your life and what you can live with out.