THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for some time & will not survive unless donations remain consistent! We currently have over 17500 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. However, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford to, please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: New era of Banking ?

Noobie

New era of Banking ?

Yo I am long time member of UKHIPPY but for some reason i can not access my account
    So fate has handed me a new identity
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I was reading another post here which got me thinking a little. ( Thinking? ouch)

More people banking online = Closure of High Street Banks = More Online Banking

So i fast forwarded 1 year......

Scenario :You have a serious problem with your account and need to speak to a bank clerk.

Thats ok, Just can pop along to your local branch in the high street!
    But wait... They shut that down 3 months ago
    Why?
    Because all the customers are banking online

You need the issue resolved today and for some reason the internet is down or the site doesnt have an option for this enquiry or you may have to wait 5 working days before your enquirey is dealt with.

Meanwhile someone is fruadulently spending YOUR money.

You are given a Freephone Customer Care number for such an emergency.
    You are put though to ( You guessed it) a machine and told to wait your turn...
    You eventually hear a voice only to be instructed to choose one of the 8 options.
    So you listen to the 8 options and make your choice
    then you are put on hold again
    Until yeah wait for it 50 minutes later you are speaking to a human.

Now fast forward another 2 years from there.
    The BANKS have phased out the freephone number
    its been replaced with a ( You guessed it) a premium rate number £1.50 per minute to speak to someone about your account.

So you go through the whole choose option 3 and wait 50 minutes only to be put through to a ( you guessed it) A computer.

Congratualtions youve just had £280 stolen from you account and you have now had to pay £ 75 for a 50 mintue premium rate customer care call to speak to a computer

Does anyone else agree that this is the direction our banking is heading?
    The following users think this post is groovy: nicklincs, stinkypete, Trev

Afloat ... or adrift? marshlander's Avatar
    Looks like it. I may have to spend the meagre savings I have accumulated so the banks can't grab it to bail themselves out when the next crash comes.
    The following users think this post is groovy: julianthegypsy, Oromis, Trev

oh dear , you got me started on bankers........ I started work at 16 and needed an account so i chose 'the midlands' , nice lil bank that took my paycheck and gave me a card to take the dosh out again = perfect , then 20 years or so later they sold out to HSBC , i had surgery in 2002 and knowing that i would be out of work for more than 3 months I took out an overdraft to cover bills etc and claimed on the PIP that was sold with a loan,seems the insurance on the loan was invalid as i had consulted the doctor about the surgery 51 weeks before the claim , ie less than a year so repayments continued as i was laid up unawares , also the CSA had continued to take £520 a month for my 2 girls maintenance , next thing HSBC demand loan + overdraft immediately or collection agency. collection agency it was then , 'metropolitan collection' is part of the HSBC group , only difference is that if you call either you are told that they do not have access or permission to discuss accounts , this all involves a ridiculous amount of telephone time and ignorance from the banks !! , so to answer your question , they aint heading that way , some are there waiting for the others....................
    The following users think this post is groovy: WREKAGE

If you want to see how it will go, check out Sweden. They're very much on the way to a cashless society. There's many reasons behind it, the two main ones are things like the "rounding" when paying cash (they phased out the small value öre coins some years ago - so if paying cash, they round the bill to the nearest kronor, but you can pay the "true" amount by card and is much easier), the Swedes are also early adopters with technology - several of my friends rarely carry cash, and in fact they said you can spot a visitor to the country, as they're the ones at the bar with notes instead of paying by contactless card!

The flip side, is that physical banks are becoming a rarity, and the facilities in them are getting cut. They'd rather you do it online, or talk to someone in a call centre. Obviously this saves them money! Speaking of which, new style coins and banknotes are being phased in over the next year or two, but the Riksbank are printing/minting a lot less physical currency compared to the old style notes. So even their government knows the trend.
    Never Knowingly Understood

Dirty Uncle Bertie... julianthegypsy's Avatar
    You won't see a teller at a bank in France anymore, they still have an assistant, but they just point you at the right machine. That's happened in the last few years and I imagine if it saves them money it'll happen here too.
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Don't take sterling cash to France either, there is nowhere that changes it anymore. The last time I tried was several years ago, in Lille, which is a huge city let's face it. After trying half a dozen banks, I was directed to a money changer at the station who offered me 1.1 pounds to one euro, I kid you not!
    Yawn I'm so tired with this big bag of coal on my head...

Santander - bucking the trend a little as they have branches in most town like places such as Whitley Bay or Gosforth here in the NE. Admittedly they did take on a more than one ex building society 'bank' and so have extra branches - perhaps - because of this.

Latest gimmick or useful feature is the iPhone app for contactless payments. I get it but who would not be too embarassed to use it?
    The following users think this post is groovy: julianthegypsy

I am a Lloyds bank customer they are incredibly shit, I suggest we save as much cash as possible!
    The following users think this post is groovy: stinkypete

Found a Santander in North Shields.

We are being coraled - perhaps all the other banks are still fighting meltdown.

I am expecting Spanish Holidaymakers visiting the revanant Spanish City!
    To be the reiver and the rime of the sea

Wont be long coming microchip---cashless society working for electronic credits, and all the krap and control that will acompany these thing.
    Bit extreme msybe not.
    Live LIVELIFELOVE
    The following users think this post is groovy: kwinto

Heavenly Creature
    Sure looks like the trend. Every time I go to Lloyds I get asked what are you here for? Paying a bill?
    Why not use the machines? Put your cash in an envelope, stick it in the machine!
    But no receipt?, I ask.
    So I never have the exact money, so I have to use the teller at the counter. And get a receipt. Helps keep someone in a job, I hope.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman

I do still have a local branch but it too is now trying to get customers to pay bills at an in branch hole in the wall. I miss Spanish system. Everyone still uses their branch. there are staff for cash transactions at the counter but lots of desks with employees to help with any banking issues. People are quite happy to wait because an issue can take 30 seconds to deal with or 1 hour. Old school at its best. ( if you're not in a hurry)
    Because you are alive, everything is posible - Thich Nhat Hanh

I think bitcoin or something similar will take over. Reducing or possibly stopping inflation. Which is an absolute joke anyway. Investing would become almost pointless or atleast very differen't.

Amateur photographer EnglishLens's Avatar
    A breach of agreement by LLoyds bank lost me all my money. I've got a Santander account, and I think they are rubbish, they are also part of the EU toxic debt scheme. I use Nationwide because I think they are less likely to go bust than more conventional banks, and I love their personal card reader system, it's much safer than other methods if you are using public access. I won't use contactless, and sent my cards back for exchange. It not really more convenient, and it is wide open for fraud.

I agree that a Bitcoin account is becoming increasingly useful.

Those contactless cards definitely aren't safe. I found one once and lets just say they're lucky im not greedy.

Originally Posted by Barrygouda
    Those contactless cards definitely aren't safe. I found one once and lets just say they're lucky im not greedy.
    YOU ARSEHOLE!
    Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Haha it was actually a legitimate investigation into the secuirty of modern day banking.

There is another danger with contactless. There was a kid of about 10 in McDonalds the other day. His father went into the 'loo, and whilst he was gone,the kid bought and paid for some chocolate doughnuts and a drink using the kiosk and dad's contactless card. Dad was not impressed when he returned.

Heavenly Creature
    I don't like the contactless system, and never use it. Plenty of stuff on the 'net about how easy it is to read a card that is in a wallet in your pocket, with a mobile servicepoint handset. You can pick them up for a few quid. You just hover it near someone's ass in a queue, by the look of it.
    So I protected mine by wrapping tin-foil twice around two or three business cards, and put these in the outermost part of the inside of the wallet. Can't be scanned from any direction now while they're in there.
    Keep a tin-foil hat handy too, in case they try to read what's inside me head, but haven't had to use that yet

A mate of mine sent his contactless back, and the bank said they couldn't replace it with an old-type card. So he threatened to close down his account, sent his complaint further up the bank management scale, and eventually they did grudgingly send him one without the contactless chip.
    The following users think this post is groovy: greenvanman

We will probably all have a chip in our hands at some point. Unfortunately it wont be on the beach with a big blob of tomato sauce.
    The following users think this post is groovy: greenvanman, Trev

One life, live it
    There is no such thing as money, it doesn't really exist, but, as long as we all believe it does the illusion is maintained. The desire now is to make it virtual money via the internet to take all this tedious cash out of circulation.

Then all you will have is credits and debits on your computer screen or your phone, as long as you have one..............
    The following users think this post is groovy: Trev

If your bank won't provide you with a contactless card, you can drill a small hole to disconnect the circuit. It disables the contactless feature, but everything else works. Hold the card up to a strong light, and your can see the coil.