THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why you should travel!

Why you should travel!

I got this philosophy from the most unlikely of places, a youtube comment! Not my own:

Travel isn't always easy so why do it? If you are afraid of leaving your comfort zone, let me tell you one thing, life is too freaking short. One day you will die. It might be eternal darkness and silence or something beyond our knowledge. All the things you've achieved, all your fears , embarrassments will be gone. Nobody (2 generations max) will remember you. You will just be someone out of the billions of people who lived on this planet. Travel is a way of both escaping the mundane and gaining an exciting education. If you are lucky enough to have the freedom to travel it would be CRAZY not too! You will not regret it.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Duckman, Fire-Tree, nomis, Uncle jhad, wobblyjim, wurzel

Ah found it! Moderator FriedOnion's Avatar
    That's not bad, certainly not what I would expect from a youtube comment.

The same argument could be given for doing many things, reaching out to connect with a person, sharing, learning, so much more. You could just say, life is there to be lived.

I would add that it broadens your mind, teaches you not just about new places and customs but also shows you that foreigners are not the scary things they're portrayed as.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Fire-Tree, nomis, Paul Harasimow, Uncle jhad, wobblyjim, wurzel

The Youtube comment is a welcomed positive towards the idea of travel.

Especially after hearing things like " You are just trying to run away from something"
    " you cant run away from yourself" etc etc.

I think those that are attracted to travel are born adventurers, problem solvers, dreamers, diggers, optimists.
    I do most of my own stunts because the stunt guys show me how.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, Fire-Tree, nomis, wobblyjim

Ah found it! Moderator FriedOnion's Avatar
    The negative comments are usually from people that are afraid to do anything themselves and try to drag others down to their own level.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Fire-Tree, marshlander, Rick69, treeboy, treestump, Uncle jhad, wobblyjim

Tuning In
    so true friedonion|
    The following users think this post is groovy: Fire-Tree

the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar
    I need (yes need) to travel some more.

I've been to a dozen or so countries, but not for any extended period of time - often because I've not had enough money, had commitments here to take care of, or simply not found anyone to go with (Don't like travelling alone, and have tried this).

*thinks*
    The following users think this post is groovy: Fire-Tree, Sootyfoot

I have travelled and lived in India and Nepal on my own,i have alway's found people to chat with or have a meal with.I have had plenty of holiday's with others, family and friend's.i find there are alway's niggles and argument's about what we are doing and where we are going,some want to do this others want to do that,on your own you get none of that.

On the question of travel.i am looking for a beach holiday to take the grandkid's on,Is it me?
    All of the holiday's I have looked at want to dig me up the rib's for flight's baggage,seating,meal's on the flight's. transfer's when you get off,are these travel companies taking the piss? The last package holiday I had everything was in the price.Rant over.

I've never "travelled". I've been on holidays in Europe. I went to Tokyo once, for a work conference. I'm going to South Africa on Sunday, for a holiday (a training holiday).

I need to get away more.

As someone who, six months ago was afraid to leave the house, I can confirm that getting off your arse, going travelling and scaring the shit out of yourself is indeed a good thing. And that's putting it mildly.

I"m so far removed from the person I was at that time I can hardly believe I was where I was. I did it for all the right reasons. I thought that sitting home protecting myself was what I needed to get better. Coming on the road and yes, scaring myself shitless many times has given my head and my body the shove it needed to heal and to see that sitting home being careful was the last thing I needed.

So yes. I concur.
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

With love
    Roughing it smoothly...

Ahh Mrs P you are so inspiring.
    Ive been nervous about my intentions to travel around Europe however after reading your above post i feel energized to do the same.
    Im really glad that you are having a fantastic time out there. I really am
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Also glad to see you check in with us guys every now n then... to let us know how your adventure is going.

Keep on trucking Mrs P.
    I do most of my own stunts because the stunt guys show me how.
    The following users think this post is groovy: dollybassett, Fire-Tree, MrsP

Heavenly Creature itinerant child's Avatar

Originally Posted by FriedOnion
    The negative comments are usually from people that are afraid to do anything themselves and try to drag others down to their own level.
    For once and it is probably a first,I have to disagree with your choice of words. I do not see it as people trying to drag you down to their levels,but moreso people who would love to be doing it themselves and for one reason or another they can not get the courage to do it themselves and use such comments to justify their own reasons for not getting out and achieving what their hearts tell them to do.

The best thing to do with people like this is lead by example and share your positive stories with them and you may well be the person who inspires them towards making the life that they would love to live.

Have been to near enough one hundred countries and am constantly on the road around europe and am completely addicted to travel,as it offers so much to me.

The best alternative to travel that will help you open your mind and spirit and make the days go by more slowly is to try and do something new everyday.

Love and light

Fly xx
    anything is possible,that my friends is a mathematical certainty ;-)
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, nomis, Uncle jhad, wobblyjim

If you feel the urge to go, take your courage in both hands, take only a rucksack, ( it truly is all you need) try to have enough money to get started and voila................................... ...............
    Because you are alive, everything is posible - Thich Nhat Hanh
    The following users think this post is groovy: Fire-Tree

Tuning In
    every brit should travel ... go to africa, india, south amerca, and other poorer countries, and return to the uk recognising your good fortune to live here .... and if you are wise you'll take hundreds of photos and hours of videos to jolt your memory should you get complacent and take your life for granted .... I still have the video I made of a wedding in the bush in ghana, it was scarey travelling in an old mini bus, the only white skinned people surrounded by africans, but their singing as we travelled was fantastic, and once we got to the wedding the music and dancing and the cooking was entrancing ... and in senegal bandits stole the minibus and we had to complete the tour in the back of a army truck ... and I was in mumbai (bombay) on the night the railway station and hotels were bombed and shot-up, all flights were cancelled and I was taken to a hotel, the front door was secured with chain and padlocks and 4x4s blocked the hotel entrance ... and in colombia I went to buy fresh bread for breakfast, two men were arguing so I left, and found out later one man had shot the other ...
    so, yes, go for it ..... travel
    The following users think this post is groovy: Fire-Tree, julianthegypsy, Uncle jhad, wobblyjim

We've been to alot of places.For us,its getting away from the norm,finding those off the beaten track type places,meeting some beautiful people,enjoying the weather,relaxing,travelling as the locals do,eating where they eat,experiences etc.
    We've been to some amazing places,that once I only dreamed about.My favourite places are India and Sri Lanka.
    I can remember when we first moved to the UK,from Australia.My kids had just started school and it was just after the holidays in summer.I was amazed that most of the kids had been to places like Turkey,Spain etc.In Australia we were lucky to be able to afford a trip up the river (Parents had a holiday house there,later they brought another house on the coast)so we didnt have to pay for accomo.
    Our first holiday was to Costa Brava.We were really excited about heading to Spain.However.....we arrived at our hotel,which was nice but?....We decided to sit by the pool,and I was disappointed that alot of the parents were pissed,kids running amok etc.After that holiday I told my husband (Who's british)I never wanted to go on another holiday like that.Since then,we always researched places (hotels,guesthouses etc)that were far away from tourists.I dont want to go on holiday and spend a week or two with a load of westerners!lol
    My favourite countries so far are India,and Sri Lanka.We will be going to either of these two places in Feb 2017,and definately staying as far off the beaten track as possible.
    One place we stayed in,on the coast in South India a couple of years ago,was so peaceful and tranquil.We met this couple from Wales,and the guy proceeded to tell us they were looking to buy a small hotel there and set up a jet ski business!We felt quite horrified,that if he succeeded?Another place ruined!Grrrr
    The following users think this post is groovy: Uncle jhad

I'm not sure why anyone should travel nor convinced that the concept has any value beyond 'exploring difference'.

I've recently been asked to provide a full work history and explain all gaps and to provide referees during 'travel'....

This is an impossible task.

Which makes me unemployable.........so the travel has been worthwhile
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd

Dirty Uncle Bertie... julianthegypsy's Avatar
    "We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of our exploration shall be to arrive at the place we first set off from, and know it for the first time."
    I forget where the quote comes from, but it seems apt.
    Yawn I'm so tired with this big bag of coal on my head...

Originally Posted by julianthegypsy
    "We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of our exploration shall be to arrive at the place we first set off from, and know it for the first time."
    I forget where the quote comes from, but it seems apt.
    T. S. Eliot's Little Gidding
    We shall not cease from exploration
    And the end of all our exploring
    Will be to arrive where we started
    And know the place for the first time.

Through the unknown, unremembered gate
    When the last of earth left to discover
    Is that which was the beginning;
    At the source of the longest river
    The voice of the hidden waterfall
    And the children in the apple-tree
    Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Boaty McBoatface, Brynhyffryd, julianthegypsy

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by FriedOnion
    Isn't that what you are doing to them? The negative ones I mean. By alienating them you ensure that they stay negative. How about "Oh, you have a fair point X old thing, but why don't you come with me next Thursday to Waggawgga and see it from my side?" Of course, if X takes you up on it and is poor company, you will hate me for ever too.

That's the problem, too much hatred in the world today. Though I hate to say it. Now I hate myself for having said it.

Dirty Uncle Bertie... julianthegypsy's Avatar
    Thank you Sootyfoot, I almost got it right too!
    Yawn I'm so tired with this big bag of coal on my head...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot

Bah......

Just bah!

It's right there in front of our faces and is denied......taken away......sold out....stolen.....pretended.....politici sed and romanticised......

It's right there in front of our overly emotional eyes!

Originally Posted by Paul
    I need (yes need) to travel some more.

I've been to a dozen or so countries, but not for any extended period of time - often because I've not had enough money, had commitments here to take care of, or simply not found anyone to go with (Don't like travelling alone, and have tried this).

*thinks*
    Have you considered a Jack Russell as a travelling companion ?

works for me

Hey Paul. Wanna go to Canada?

Ive been outside of the UK half a dozen or so times and I just don't have the travelbug.
    I don't function well in heat.
    Would take a one way ticket to Canada though.
    And there are so many places here I have yet to explore!

I've hardly been anywhere! Even in Britain. I don't really get the travel bug either.