THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Why you should travel!

Me too.When were you thinking of?
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Paul Harasimow
    I would love to travel all the way round the world without using an aeroplane.

These guys were paid to do it with tech and mech and cash support all the way for a tv series.

Originally Posted by Sootyfoot

Anyone remember he has a wife and child to support?A wife and child who probably depend soley on him and who may or may not need our nhs.So he dumps his house and job and off they all go?

[QUOTE=cricket;1515981]Anyone remember he has a wife and child to support?A wife and child who probably depend soley on him and who may or may not need our nhs.So he dumps his house and job and off they all go?[/QUOTE

YES nothing says "I Love You" more than doing something spontaneous, livechanging and a voyage of discovery for two people and a little un, many families have decided to up sticks n just DO IT and said its the best move they have ever made, equally as many have fucked up, but you aint willing to take that chance? then dont moan when ya had a boring life......
    Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

You ever been on the road with a little one?He didnt sound like he was moaning, just sounded like he is bound by his responsibilities and is wistfully wondering.I also have a young person to think of ,they come first.I also wanted to travel badly ,but first i have to ensure my family is sound.It is very difficult to move anywhere with a few dependants in tow on very little money.If you do make it with all of them abroad and it goes wrong then you are really in a mess.If you can get back then its a homeless hostel to start with waiting for the dhss to get it together.Reality is a killer hey.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Petew

Heavenly Creature itinerant child's Avatar
    The main ingredient for travel is keeping your responsibilities to a minimum,therefore giving you the freedom to enjoy uour experiences to the full.
    Well done to you cricket,you have got your responsibilities and give them the level of priority that you should.

I have my avatar living with me and because of my responsibilities to him,I often have to re-address my travel plans.

There was a book I read many years ago called 8 feet in the andes written by a lady call dervla murphy,who travelled if I remember correctly 1500 miles across the mountains in peru,setting off from cajamarca and ending at cuzcu.

The title of the book was because she did this with her 9 year old daughter and a donkey.

Inspirational xx
    anything is possible,that my friends is a mathematical certainty ;-)
    The following users think this post is groovy: Travelsofpan

Heavenly Creature itinerant child's Avatar

xx
    anything is possible,that my friends is a mathematical certainty ;-)
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, Offgrid hero, Petew, Uncle jhad

exiled cornishman wandering gypsy's Avatar
    I sometimes envy house dwellers, no wood to find and cut, water on tap,warmth at flick of a switch, a world without mud.

Then I remember why I do it, the joy of living in my own space,created by me for me,not tied to one place.moors mountains the coast even cities at times are all on my doorstep, sunrises over the mountains sunsets over the sea, the fellowship of other travellers,the kindness of some house dwellers.

maybe i,m lucky but not really had any serious hostility, greet people with a smile, it works wonders
    The following users think this post is groovy: hygge, itinerant child, ma bungo, NomadicRT, Sootyfoot, zendaze

Originally Posted by cricket
    Reality is a killer hey.
    reality is not the killer, the killer is self doubt from listening to too many others saying " Thats not wise" or "you have responsibilities" or "its dangerous" or the worst two words "What If..."
    Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.
    The following users think this post is groovy: hygge, NomadicRT, Petew, Uncle jhad, zendaze

Heavenly Creature

reality is not the killer, the killer is self doubt from listening to too many others saying " Thats not wise" or "you have responsibilities" or "its dangerous" or the worst two words "What If..."
    Always be careful how you talk to yourself, you are listening
    The following users think this post is groovy: hygge, NomadicRT, Sootyfoot, Travelsofpan

Originally Posted by wandering gypsy
    I sometimes envy house dwellers, no wood to find and cut, water on tap,warmth at flick of a switch, a world without mud.

Then I remember why I do it, the joy of living in my own space,created by me for me,not tied to one place.moors mountains the coast even cities at times are all on my doorstep, sunrises over the mountains sunsets over the sea, the fellowship of other travellers,the kindness of some house dwellers.

maybe i,m lucky but not really had any serious hostility, greet people with a smile, it works wonders
    Ive livid a simpilar life style for 12 years 8 months a yr working living from my T25 westy.park pretty much where i like,coast,moors,countryside,then go abroad for 2-3months a yr.ive so many nice people and seen many many great places."Work to live dont live to work"

-- Posted from the
    --
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, Sootyfoot, zendaze

Every year i travel i say this time i lighten my load,then arrive in my choosen country with the same load as in previous years wtf

-- Posted from the
    --

Originally Posted by cricket
    These guys were paid to do it with tech and mech and cash support all the way for a tv series.
    Doesn't make their journey any less epic. They rode from the top of Scotland to the bottom of South Africa on motorbikes with their camping stuff on - money or not, that's still super cool. Long Way Round and Long Way Down, and the nomads here on this hippy website, are my two biggest inspirations for travelling.

Originally Posted by Travelsofpan
    Every year i travel i say this time i lighten my load,then arrive in my choosen country with the same load as in previous years wtf

-- Posted from the
    --
    So how do you keep the magic alive?

I wanted to travel and I have travelled a bit....how do you dispell the overwhelming sense of being a voyeuristic tourist; indulging romantic or imperialistic fancy, in theme parks that have been created by the arrogant overclass and are served by the paupers?.....

I'd love to get my passion back so please provide a solution.

My mind wonders what their is out there ?
    I travel to poorer countries to see the smiles of the people,i immerse myself in cultures therefore seeing how little of the indocrinated ideas implanted upon us by the Media in there constant drive to belittle us in the drive for the control of our minds

-- Posted from the
    --

Originally Posted by zendaze
    So how do you keep the magic alive?

I wanted to travel and I have travelled a bit....how do you dispell the overwhelming sense of being a voyeuristic tourist; indulging romantic or imperialistic fancy, in theme parks that have been created by the arrogant overclass and are served by the paupers?.....

I'd love to get my passion back so please provide a solution.
    I totally know what you're saying...I feel like a right rich western twat sometimes when am abroad. It helps for me to go to one place and work/volunteer and stay there for an extended period, instead of just passing through. You get to know the locals and feel like you're not just taking.

It's hard to know what to do sometimes. Like in India I refused to get into rickshaws that were being manually pulled by someone, but they really want your business and always look really disappointed when you don't get in!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot, zendaze