Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: VERA FROM HORSEBOX TO HOUSEBOX

WOW! Love this truck! I'll be watching this thread with great interest!!!
    Self built van conversion - Blogging around Europe... www.BeyondTheVan.com

Chilling Out
    Quote Originally Posted by vanman84 View Post
    If u r near London trawl gumtree freebies for a sofabed as a temp sleeping solution. Oh an the recyclin areas. I got 90% of my stuff from both!
    Hi thanks for the tip but the photos that I am posting are about 6 months behind what I am doing now ,so I have a bed built now I will post the photos next . I just thought people might be interested in what I have done so I started from the beginning , And I did not want to flood the thread with hundreds of photos so I am adding to the thread every other day or so

Chilling Out
    Hear is the bed now finished I wanted a double but the space over the cab was only wide enough for a single , as I did not want to come out into the rest of the living space I copied the gypsy caravan pull out style bed , so you can have a single or pull out into a full size double
    The following users think this post is groovy: essexcamper, Fire-Tree, HoopingHippy, julianthegypsy, Kerouac, kiwikid, nicklincs, patchypete, simate, Sootyfoot, wurzel

looks great BHD, loving that bed, and love that big handle, did you womble it or make it ?
    "The best way to get something done , is to begin "

Chilling Out
    Quote Originally Posted by patchypete View Post
    looks great BHD, loving that bed, and love that big handle, did you womble it or make it ?
    Hi no the handle is from my old Vickers that I had around 25 years ago when they went for 200 ended up scrapping it but kept all the handles lights mirrors ect , this truck has got bits in from every truck .caravan , that Ive have owned over the years , bits from squats, houses , I am a tatter never throw anything away just in case , drives me mad sometimes but you never know when you might need it
    The following users think this post is groovy: essexcamper, Fire-Tree, julianthegypsy, nicklincs, patchypete, Sootyfoot

BHD you are going to fit in real well here.

I throw nothing out, even the smallest screw. And I seriously like that handle.

But can I ask, Vickers?
    The following users think this post is groovy: julianthegypsy, nicklincs, Sootyfoot

Transcending
    Ah I get yer now. Luv that bed!

Chilling Out
    Quote Originally Posted by Languid Virago View Post
    BHD you are going to fit in real well here.

I throw nothing out, even the smallest screw. And I seriously like that handle.

But can I ask, Vickers?
    Hi yeah sorry I just assumed everyone new what a Vickers was , they were caravans made for the travelling community back in the day they cost 1000 a foot about 5 times more expensive than a house , mine was a more basic model you can see the handles on the front by the lights
    The following users think this post is groovy: Fire-Tree, julianthegypsy, kiwikid, Lionheart888, nicklincs, patchypete, RollingFree, Sootyfoot

sadly this was what I think of when I see the word Vickers. I was wondering where the handles attached.

The following users think this post is groovy: Colin M, Ghotay, julianthegypsy, patchypete, Sootyfoot

Chilling Out
    Quote Originally Posted by Languid Virago View Post
    sadly this was what I think of when I see the word Vickers. I was wondering where the handles attached.

Hi no I would not of scrapped that , would have gone straight on the roof of the tk
    The following users think this post is groovy: essexcamper, Sootyfoot

Noobie
    wow...love this horsebox......what colour you gunna do her outside?....good job

Chilling Out
    Hi no firm idea yet , I will wait until the inside is done been randomly filing the bodywork and putting grey primmer on when the mood takes me , definitely cream roof maybe green with a darker green stripe and mudguards

Jesus is not your friend Fire-Tree's Avatar
    Loving this thread, loving Vera, loving the red, loving everything.
    Blog: Experiencing England in a car with no money
    The following users think this post is groovy: HoopingHippy

Chilling Out
    Hi again Vera just passed her 3rd mot since I bought her today great another clean sweep ,
    The following users think this post is groovy: convoy, Fire-Tree

Chilling Out
    Back to the build , one thing that you have to do in a small space is make every thing work and have a purpose and because the engine is behind the driving seats there was a useless fiberglass engine cover over it , I had tatted a galvanised water tank from a narrow boat a while back so after a bit of thought I cut out one side turned it upside down and it has now become a engine cover/ table I have a fold up seat from a old school desk that I am going to fit to the tank somehow to use as a step up to the bed and also double up as another seat
    The following users think this post is groovy: essexcamper, julianthegypsy, kiwikid, patchypete, Sootyfoot

Chilling Out
    This is what I finally did with the school desk seat
    The following users think this post is groovy: Chazz, essexcamper, nicklincs, NomadicRT, patchypete, simate, Sootyfoot

Ah found it! Moderator FriedOnion's Avatar
    That looks great. It must be heavy though?

Chilling Out
    Yes its a fair weight but after I had stripped out the horsey parts and took of the side ramp the truck weighed around 2.5 ton its gross is 5.6 ton so I have around 3 ton to play with so no problems on that front ,
    The following users think this post is groovy: julianthegypsy, Sootyfoot

Chilling Out
    The next job was to rip all the walls of and check over the floor , when I took the ply from the walls I discovered the last owner had already cut out all the wood uprights from the chassis to roof and welded in steel box section , so all I had to do was batten it out to take screws paint the whole lot with red oxide and it was ready for insulation followed by 8x4 sheets of 6mm ply as I have not made up my mind what finish I will do on the walls yet ,I will wait and see what I find
    The following users think this post is groovy: Colin M, essexcamper, nicklincs

Chilling Out
    The following users think this post is groovy: essexcamper, kiwikid, nicklincs, patchypete

Chilling Out
    The floor was so uneven sloping from front to back and side to side with a 3" drop near the cab ,I decided to screw down cross beams every 2ft starting with a 4x2 at the worst end and levelling the floor out as I went , I put insulation in the gaps except for a 4ft square at the front end where the gap was so big I plan to put pull out tool slides underneath , then I planned down a load of scaffold planks that I had been tatting over the last few months and fixed them down , when I have worked out were the wall will go in to separate the living end from the kitchen I will oil / wax or varnish them ( any ideas on what is best )
    The following users think this post is groovy: Colin M, essexcamper, nicklincs, patchypete, Raffi, Sootyfoot

Heavenly Creature
    really like reading this thread mate you are making a brill job

Awesome truck and awesome job! When I was 18 I very nearly bought one of these, built by the same guys, though I can't remember what the V stands for. Lovely boxes, and wonderfully compact. I would have one today if I hadn't fallen in love with a J2 bus instead.. much less practical though.

Keep the updates coming! I'd love to meet Vera in person one day...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Colin M

Chilling Out
    Quote Originally Posted by lupinthief View Post
    Awesome truck and awesome job! When I was 18 I very nearly bought one of these, built by the same guys, though I can't remember what the V stands for. Lovely boxes, and wonderfully compact. I would have one today if I hadn't fallen in love with a J2 bus instead.. much less practical though.

Keep the updates coming! I'd love to meet Vera in person one day...
    Hi thanks for the comments the v stands for Vincent the coachbuilders who made the rear body , but those small blim Bedford j2 coaches are pukker , I have never owned one but been on many in the past , had 3 j type trucks in the past a j1 pickup j2 ambulance and a j3 ex GPO crewcab box truck great motors I love Bedfords think I know every nut and bolt on a j type , as for Vera is a evolving kin d of project I build something live with it for a while see how it works out if not I change it also depends on what tat I find , but I am in no hurry to finish it , always up for a meet and a cuppa or fire , any input of ideas always welcome or any advice I can give out welcomed