THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for some time & will not survive unless donations remain consistent! We currently have over 17500 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. However, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford to, please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: VERA FROM HORSEBOX TO HOUSEBOX

Chilling Out

VERA FROM HORSEBOX TO HOUSEBOX

.com/albums/tt107/boneheaddread/SDC13757.jpg[/IMG]

Dirty Uncle Bertie... julianthegypsy's Avatar
    Nice! That looks like it was made to be converted, it'll be beautiful!
    Yawn I'm so tired with this big bag of coal on my head...

Transcending
    Dunno if it's the angle but that's as long as it's high! Sooooo cute!

Tuning In
    looking forward to updates as this is a long term plan for me ..... good luck

Turning On
    I'm in love with it allready

Chilling Out
    Quote Originally Posted by vanman84 View Post
    Dunno if it's the angle but that's as long as it's high! Sooooo cute!
    Hi I did write a load of text to go with the photo but lost it ?

yes is almost a big box 18ft long 11ft high

I have had Vera ( from the BIG V on the roof ) for nearly 3 years after a lot of searching finally found on ebay for 1650 , I was after something tax exempt short but with the full lenth able to be used so vera is 18 ft long with 18ft of living space

the conversion is a no rush , do when I get an idea , try not to spend much money ( most parts tatted, car boot bargains or free) job , with a steampunk , chitty chitty bang bang , gypsy caravan mutiod look

here a few more in the beginning photos

The following users think this post is groovy: essexcamper, julianthegypsy, kiwikid, nicklincs, NomadicRT, patchypete

Chilling Out
    Right so the jobs in order were going to be
    1 underneath , chassis, brakes , tyres, wiring, and running gear as there is no point spending ages converting a truck on a crap running gear
    2 inside
    3 outside
    so my partner and myself spent around 20-30 hours wire brushing the chassis back of all oil grease rust ect , followed by 2 coats of red oxide and then 2 coats of post office red synthetic enamel paint , newish tyres where needed , wheel cylinders, brake shoes and a complete back end rewire ( no dodgy bad earths ) to complete underneath
    a few before and after photos

The following users think this post is groovy: Chazz, Fire-Tree, kiwikid, nicklincs, patchypete, RollingFree, wurzel

Chilling Out
    [URL=http://s602.photobucket.com/user/boneheaddread/media/SDC13941.jpg.html][/URL]

- - - Updated - - -

And finally finished

Transcending
    Top plan do the bits u cant see first an forget em.

Fantastic!!
    Never judge someone by the opinion of others.

well done that looks ace

Excellent thread

Tuning In
    what a beautiful truck, showing my age now but first firm I worked for had tk tippers always loved their looks
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lionheart888

oh wow, this is going to be brilliant, good job so far
    "The best way to get something done , is to begin "

Great work, looks great so far!

Ah found it! Moderator FriedOnion's Avatar
    That'll be nice, I like the red already.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Fire-Tree

Chilling Out
    Hi all thanks for your comments I will carry on the thread then , I wernt sure if some might think I was a bit of a twat or show off or something
    Quote Originally Posted by FriedOnion View Post
    That'll be nice, I like the red already.

Chilling Out
    Next on the list was the engine , it ran ok but blew on the block/exhaust manifold ( common problem with bedfords ) and the points were missing sometimes causing a loss of power or backfire ( yes its a petrol) , first thing I did was take the head of have it skimmed , clean up check all the valves then refit with a nice new copper head gasket , check the tappets and reset , make a new exhaust for it out of scrap bits and bobs and a transit silencer , then carefully remove the points carry them out of the truck , then trow them on the floor and stamp on them before throwing them in the bin and fitting a electronic ignition and high performance coil kit from acu spark 50 for the lot excellent , booked it in for its hgv test ( still a empty horsebox at that time ) , got plenty of stares when I pulled up at the ministry test centre as she looked like a bag of shit from the outside but passed first time
    The following users think this post is groovy: CelticNomad, Chazz, essexcamper, julianthegypsy, kiwikid, Lionheart888, NomadicRT, patchypete, simate, Sootyfoot, Trap, wurzel

This thread looks like it is going to be a good one.

Do it once, do it well, do it yourself.

I loooove the red undercrackers.

Can i reccomend an old off roader trick, think about puttting thin PTFE sheets between the leaf springs, it really smoothes out the ride, reduces wear and keeps the springs looking good.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot, wurzel

Quote Originally Posted by boneheaddread View Post
    Next on the list was the engine , it ran ok but blew on the block/exhaust manifold ( common problem with bedfords ) and the points were missing sometimes causing a loss of power or backfire ( yes its a petrol) , first thing I did was take the head of have it skimmed , clean up check all the valves then refit with a nice new copper head gasket , check the tappets and reset , make a new exhaust for it out of scrap bits and bobs and a transit silencer , then carefully remove the points carry them out of the truck , then trow them on the floor and stamp on them before throwing them in the bin and fitting a electronic ignition and high performance coil kit from acu spark 50 for the lot excellent , booked it in for its hgv test ( still a empty horsebox at that time ) , got plenty of stares when I pulled up at the ministry test centre as she looked like a bag of shit from the outside but passed first time

Absolutely awesome, van looking great. Its a great achievement doing it all yourself. Loving the thread...

Transcending
    Wow PETROL!! R u keepin that or goin deisel?

Chilling Out
    Quote Originally Posted by vanman84 View Post
    Wow PETROL!! R u keepin that or goin deisel?
    Yeah petrol was a bit of a dilemma , but I have had loads of Bedford j types in the past and even a RL all with petrol lumps in , they are good strong and very easy to work on , mines only got 19,000 on the clock from new, I save 250 a year on the tax another 250 by it being classic insurance so for now I will stick with the petrol , I could go with the right engine replacement that would be a 220 4 pot diesel , but underpowered and noisy , or put in a modern engine , but then it would be gearbox , prop maybe rear axle , or ever go with a gas or hydrogen conversion but I will wait and see happy with what I have at the moment
    The following users think this post is groovy: julianthegypsy, Sootyfoot

Chilling Out
    Hi quick update on vera ,first job inside was to ripped out all the old inside , put a burner in a temperary spot for now , put in a 25 boot sale bargin chaise lounge , another boot sale find at the weekend was a industral lamp for 10 , that now my bedside lamp ( yet to make a bed yet , started on the cross beam and side runners , its about now that I wondered why I ended up drawing so many butterfly champers to carve out
    The following users think this post is groovy: EWilliam, julianthegypsy, patchypete

Transcending
    If u r near London trawl gumtree freebies for a sofabed as a temp sleeping solution. Oh an the recyclin areas. I got 90% of my stuff from both!