THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: GM crops can be good for you and the planet.

Tuning In
    Right well, the primary costs of nuclear power are the legal fees incurred proving to people such as your self that the technology is safe.
    The price of nuclear power is very cheap, the legal fees are not, you are killing the planet and pushing the electricity price up by following your fashion, and that is what it is.
    The sites where nuclear power stations are situated can produce power for thousands of years with no CO^2 emissions.
    It is better than any other option and that is a proven fact.

GM
    GM can be dangerous, I am not suggesting any different, wind and flood are dangerous, sunshine is dangerous.
    Some GM such as better tasting apples is unlikely to be a problem and if any thing due to the fact that it has not evolved over millennia, they are less likely to cause problems similar to rhododendrons not more.

Stop killing the planet and exchange your fashion for the real world.

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    'There are many ways to modify plants, some good and some bad, if you take an apple tree and graft a different variety of apples to a branch you produce a new flavour of apple'

No you don't ,you produce the fruit of the variety you have grafted to the stock tree , this is not GM, its the way all modern apple trees are produced . The host tree/root stock dictates the size and vigour of the tree.

Nuclear power does produce cheap electricity , it also produces extremly dangerous waste , and when it goes wrong , ie Chernobil,Fukashema ....it goes really wrong . We should not be thinking of ways to produce cheap energy by nuke or fracking , we should be working on ways to use less man made energy and harnessing wind, sun and water.

GM is a total load of bollocks that heads us towards a world run by the likes of Monserato et al. Grow heritage varieties of fruit and veg , time proven and naturel.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Ecobob, FriedOnion, greenvanman, julianthegypsy

Dirty Uncle Bertie... julianthegypsy's Avatar

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Shroom
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    would you agree that energy from sustainable trees in better than fracking ? ,if so consider the Eucalyptus , fast growing and good for bio fuels etc .BUT they dont grow everywhere that we would like them too so bring in a gene from a small flowering plant that gives the tree more tolerance to frost and bingo lots of sustainable fuel where there was previously none.
    What's wrong with using suitable native trees? Willow is equally good. Mucking about with eucalyptus trees is using a sledge hammer to reinvent the wheel...
    Yawn I'm so tired with this big bag of coal on my head...
    The following users think this post is groovy: FriedOnion

Originally Posted by piratepaul
    Right well, the primary costs of nuclear power are the legal fees incurred proving to people such as your self that the technology is safe.
    The price of nuclear power is very cheap, the legal fees are not, you are killing the planet and pushing the electricity price up by following your fashion, and that is what it is.
    The sites where nuclear power stations are situated can produce power for thousands of years with no CO^2 emissions.
    It is better than any other option and that is a proven fact.

GM
    GM can be dangerous, I am not suggesting any different, wind and flood are dangerous, sunshine is dangerous.
    Some GM such as better tasting apples is unlikely to be a problem and if any thing due to the fact that it has not evolved over millennia, they are less likely to cause problems similar to rhododendrons not more.

Stop killing the planet and exchange your fashion for the real world.
    Excuse me? The price of nuclear is cheap? Our chancellor has just agreed a deal that locks us into hugely expensive power for decades! Even with these guaranteed prices, EDF look likely to back out because it will bankrupt them. And the primary cost is proving to people like me that its safe? That would be a lot cheaper and easier if the plants didn't keep blowing up with devastating consequences. Three mile island, Chernobyl, Fukashima. Interestingly, all designed and built by humans, just like the new ones that are being planned. And what's the danger from wind, tidal and solar? Please, tell me, I'm dying to know!
    The following users think this post is groovy: FriedOnion

'GM is a total load of bollocks ' sure , and next time you got a kid /grand kid with a life threatening infection you are going to refuse any GM cures and rub em down with dockleafs ?

Tuning In
    I didn't say wind power is dangerous, wind is dangerous it can blow down buildings and kill people in many ways.
    People can die of sunstroke and skin cancer etc.
    Fukushima was caused by a tsunami which killed thousands, as far as I am aware no one died at Fukushima of any nuclear related illness.
    Fukushima may have been caused by burning fossil fuels, the solution to fossil fuels is nuclear. As I said earlier wind only works when it is windy, solar only works during the day, and in January you need a football field sized panel to boil a kettle at mid day.
    Water power only works when there is head or strong tide, and means redirecting water often to the detriment of wild life.
    Chernobyl is a fantastic wildlife area, 3 people died. More people have died putting solar panels on the roof let alone coal mining.
    The options are nuclear or fossil fuel, nuclear is clean and hurts no one, coal and gas pump crap into the atmosphere.
    A view point that GM is bad is counter to humanity is fashion and if you really believe a blanket ban is the way forward you want your head testing.
    If you protest at GM feilds of medicine you should be charged with man slaughter.
    GM is the saviour of the planet.

Tuning In
    The primary cost of nuclear power is the paperwork.
    Much paperwork is due to the actions of protest groups, lawyers make a fortune, politicians make a good career from creaming the anti nuclear vote.
    The policing bill is huge, workers get paid danger money due to the death threats from people who say they support peace.
    Nuclear power is very cheap to create in its self.

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar

'GM is a total load of bollocks ' sure , and next time you got a kid /grand kid with a life threatening infection you are going to refuse any GM cures and rub em down with dockleafs ?
    Yeah ! Just like antibiotics are going tits up from over use ! Fucking around with DNA is never going to come up trumps in the long run, a quick fix is exactly that . Natural immunities /selection is the way forward. Who ever said nature was kind .
    The following users think this post is groovy: greenvanman, julianthegypsy, oldkeith

Much paperwork is due to the actions of protest groups, lawyers make a fortune, politicians make a good career from creaming the anti nuclear vote.
    The policing bill is huge, workers get paid danger money due to the death threats from people who say they support peace.
    Fukushima went because it was at the bottom of the hill when the tsunami hit. They built it that way to save money having to pump cooling water up the hill. You couldn't make it up. People did die there, and there will be more deaths, as there were in chernobyl, which is a brilliant nature reserve its true, only you can't go there because you're liable to die of radiation poisoning. And people continue to die of leukemia and other lovely forms of cancer as a result, but sure, its perfectly safe and people like me are just troublemakers!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Chazz, ma bungo, oldkeith

So why are EDF not wanting to build hinckley then? The price is set at double the current rate. Are you suggesting that its the fault of people like me who refuse to believe that Fukushima is really safe, despite the fact that it was destroyed by a tidal wave when it could have been built up the hill? And the cheapness, does that extent to the waste? And the decommissioning at end of life? Are you saying I'm mistaken when I think that these things cost an absolute fortune? And funnily enough, its always the tax payer that picks up the tab for that, never the operating company...

Tuning In
    Low bat so be/quick.
    I think the EDF deal should be/scrapped, buy British aim at cheap power.
    Lukemia has been cured 90% and rising vaccene to be out in two years.

Tuning In
    Nuclear waste.
    There are different levels of waste the vast majority is less radio active than a mobile phone, there are problems with all waste, not just nuclear.
    What do we do with household waste, it has got to be dealt with, what's the difference with low level waste from a power station.
    High level waste can be buried miles deep and it hurts no one.
    There has been a British breakthrough in leukaemia research which was announced a couple of weeks ago, the genetically tagged blood cells can be made to attack cancer cells, a 90% success rate has been proven in cases of advanced leukimia. This technique is likely to work on all cancers in time, the mass trials are to be rolled out by the NHS within two years.
    Leukaemia is very rare and associating it with nuclear reactors is to falsify the facts. Sure if you stick your head in a reactor you will get I'll, maybe you will get cancer, maybe leukaemia but you don't have to stick your head in a reactor, you do have to breath deisel fumes, coal fumes etc and those fumes can and do cause leukaemia and cancer and stroke and respiratory failure etc.
    Nuclear power is carbon free, pollution free and is good for the planet, any other opinion is destructive fashion.
    Solar wind and hydro cannot keep the lights on, that's a fact, so say the laws of physics.
    If you argue that wind solar and hydro can power the planet you are stupid, deliberately falsifying the facts or simply following the fashion.

Plant GM trees and feed the world.
    Nuclear power is cheap, the cost is due to your action...shame on you.

Tuning In
    PS. 3 people died at Chernobyl no more no less.
    You pervert the facts to suit your fashion.

PS. 3 people died at Chernobyl no more no less.
    You pervert the facts to suit your fashion.
    I'm sorry, you're deluded, and you're claiming nonsense as fact to support your arguments. I can't be bothered any more, I'm out of here.

And that's a quick google, ignoring results from sites like greenpeace and the ecologist.
    Bye bye.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Chazz, FriedOnion, oldkeith, r3ubs

Ah found it! Moderator FriedOnion's Avatar
    He probably won't look at your links Julian, he likes to spout unsubstantiated crap then say you're lying or picking on him if you disagree.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Chazz, julianthegypsy

Heavenly Creature
    I think we should maybe just leave these guys to kick their shit about in here. It is the lizard lounge, after all.
    So an appropriate place
    The following users think this post is groovy: julianthegypsy

Tuning In
    Well I clicked on the first link, and I said 3 died, it goes on to say we don't know if there were and others who died later.
    One thing we can say for sure is more people have died putting solar panels on the roof.
    The 3 replies there are all fashion followers, they all think exactly the same prescribed view point, that veiw point is designed to be impossible to disprove.
    Was the death of Thatcher due to the butterflies wings in Peking, or the fall out from Chernobyl. Well it is impossible to prove. Did the guy who lived near Chernobyl die of cancer because he lived near Chernobyl or because cancer effects 1 in 2 people, or because the anti genetics people prevented him from access to the cure, or his life support system could not be powered due to the power cut.
    You are talking crap onion, the same crap as every other deluded idiot.
    The primary purpose of your fashion is go gain access to the drug suppliers, who you meet at protests and tell you what to protest about.

Nuclear power is good for the planet and genetic fruit is good for the health.

Actually I've read that nuclear radiations are good for you. If only we were exposed to more radiations and GM food we would all be as smart as piratepaul. Some guys have all the luck!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Chazz, FriedOnion, greenvanman, julianthegypsy, ma bungo, oldkeith, tehomet

or we could be crawling about crippled with polio , I suppose you have NEVER been treated/immunised with a GM medicine ?

Tuning In
    The sun is a nuclear reactor.
    Some radiation is good for you, ie sunshine and sometimes Xrays.
    Fruit is good for you, what have you eaten today?

or we could be crawling about crippled with polio , I suppose you have NEVER been treated/immunised with a GM medicine ?
    Correct me if I'm wrong...but polio vaccine has been around since oooh, the fifties? I didn't know GM had been around for so long!

Originally Posted by schadenfreude
    Actually I've read that nuclear radiations are good for you. If only we were exposed to more radiations and GM food we would all be as smart as piratepaul. Some guys have all the luck!
    You're right! I must book a flight to chernobyl now and spend a week in shorts and T shirt exploring. I'll take a gieger counter too while I'm at it, just to make sure I don't waste any time sunbathing where there's no radiation. I think I'll take a tinfoil hat though, just in case those fashion people try sending messages into my brain to change my mind. I'd better take a hardhat too, just in case a solar panel falls on my head or a blade falls off a wind turbine. I'm glad the risk of these things has been pointed out, I might have gone on blindly banging solar panels up without realising I was actually in danger! Now if only I had a GM forest next door I'd be able to keep my stove lit, instead of relying on briquettes made from sawdust by the sawmill a mile down the road. I mean, who wants to use a waste product produced by a noisy sawmill when we could be using nice logs from a fresh factory forest!
    The following users think this post is groovy: FriedOnion, ma bungo

read my earlier posts.GM has been around since life began ,viruses live and evolve by CHANGING DNA!! .....
    Seeing as google is your friend go see how vaccines are made , they sure as hell aint organically picked from the magic tree in the allotment.
    Can I add that I took the time to read your Chernobyl link , well when I said 'read' ,what I mean is that I read a few paragraphs and noticed that the paragraphs all seem to start with :
    Approximately 1000....
    An estimated .....
    About....
    Most.....

I'm sorry, Pirate Paul insisted that two people died. The links I posted were deliberately neutral. New Scientist is hardly out to cause a sensation, the clue is in the name. Are you seriously suggesting that when they say they can't put an exact figure on it they are unable to reach a reasonably figure? They give both extremes after all. Only someone who was suffering from total cognitive dissonance could read into any of those links that only a few people died and they were making it up. Either that or a troll, I really don't care which. Now I'm going to put my tinfoil hat on again before the screaming starts. Oh, but before I do, where did I suggest that vaccines drop of a magic tree? Sorry to disappoint anyone, and Piratepaul in particular, but I don't do magic mushrooms, or any other drug that would lead people to suppose they did drop off a magic organic tree. All I said was that vaccines have been around much longer than GM techniques, what's the problem?
    The following users think this post is groovy: greenvanman