THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: GM crops can be good for you and the planet.

Tuning In
    Propaganda, almost, approximately, perhaps...Fashionable block statements of no meaning.
    It takes a lot of power to melt the glass to make solar panels, the options are coal,gas or nuclear.
    The vaccine for leukaemia was announced a few weeks ago, basically it uses your own immune system to attack leukaemia, 90% success rate in advanced leukaemia, Mass trials to be rolled out within 2 years...that's the NHS saying that.
    The vaccine should work on other cancers, the objective is to train white blood cells to attack particular genetic sequences present in different form in different cells, genetically tag the white blood cells with appropriate sequences and cancer will not be a serious condition soon.
    You are using a computer containing radiation emitting semiconductor chips, phones give off radiation.
    People do go near the Chernobyl reactor, wild life people, radiation does become absorbed.
    Chernobyl is a wild life area, as far as I am concerned that's a good thing.
    Why not turn all reactor sites into wild life areas.

Your basic lack of comprehension seems to be the problem if not a major stumbling block.
    By the way I hear that the sarcasm society are recruiting , they REALLY need people like you
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dirty Uncle Bertie... julianthegypsy's Avatar
    I know its unfashionable, but...
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yawn I'm so tired with this big bag of coal on my head...
    The following users think this post is groovy: greenvanman, ma bungo, oldkeith, r3ubs

Tuning In
    You have exhausted your arguments, or when I say your, they are not yours are they, they are the same as all the other parrots.
    The people telling you what to think make a living out of it.

Originally Posted by piratepaul
    You have exhausted your arguments, or when I say your, they are not yours are they, they are the same as all the other parrots.
    The people telling you what to think make a living out of it.
    No, I've got bored. You're not interested in a sensible discussion, you are refusing to admit that your position is less than 100% correct and you have already personally attacked me. You presumably think I'm some sort of luddite (you'll find it in a dictionary) because I'm disagreeing with you. I'm disagreeing with you because you are not putting forward any rational arguments. I spent years advising people like the Indonesian government on large scale farming and made third world agriculture a particular field of study (among others). I could tell you exactly how to end food poverty, but you wouldn't be interested, because you are determined that genetic engineering is the only way forward. It isn't, it won't, and you won't find anyone who knows anything about tropical agriculture who isn't sponsored by a large agri-business concern who thinks it will either. I'd like to know your experience in the matter?
    And as for chernobyl, you are still sticking to "two people died" and ridiculing anyone who says otherwise. The data is clear. 29 people in the first few days and it is impossible to put an exact figure on the rest as they happened (and presumably are still happening) over an extended period of time. That doesn't mean we can't put a reasonable estimate on it. We expect to see cases of thyroid cancer occuring naturally, and we can quantify them. When the number of cases goes up by a dramatic account, we can reasonably correlate the increase to the radiation. What we can't do is put an exact figure on it. That doesn't mean to any rational person that it didn't happen and wasn't caused by radiation, it means the statistics can't nail it down to an exact number. If you fail to realise this, or accept that there are other ways of producing an adequate amount of food without genetic engineering then you have no understanding of basic science or agriculture and there's no reason for me to continue the discussion.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Chazz, FriedOnion, ma bungo, oldkeith, r3ubs, tehomet

Tuning In
    That is just absolute crap, fiction the fact that others recite the same fiction is proof that it is a fashion and no more.
    The way to feed the world is to produce more food, that is what I am sugesting.
    The way to make it taste better is to change it so that...eg apples have more sugar in them, simple but effective.
    You are talking total bolox on Chernobyl, making up as you go along, who asked you any way, I thought you where too bored
    Any way constructive comments welcome.

Tuning In
    We need to repair the planet by planting trees and turning the deserts green.
    The big companies are producing seed which is disease resistant, insect repellant etc. I think this is wrong, if the insects don't eat it, I am not eating it.
    The problem with rhododendron, Cray fish, New Zealand flat worm, Japanese knot weed etc is that they are disease resistant, insect resistant.
    We must produce fruit an veg which is good to eat, yummy, sugar coated banana mango which is irresistible to humans and insects alike.
    In the real world people must make a living from these products, in this country that means hydroponic GM poly tunnels in a big way.
    Suppose we build two parallel canals from Inverness's to Dover the water is made to flow north in one canal and south in the other.
    There are lots of ways to make the water flow. Ie vertical axis wind pumps, an impeller at the bottom of the shaft set in concrete. Grid ( nuclear ) powered is an option.
    It is possible to move a barge from Inverness to Dover using less than a gallon of fuel, solar is also a possibility.
    The barge could carry a thousand tons of timber.
    Fort William to Exmouth and east west crossovers to come later.
    Scotland could produce £trillions worth of timber, the problem is transport.
    GM trees give us the option of growing tropical timbers of high value.

The concrete and steel and glass and polythene etc require a lot of power to produce, the only realistic option is nuclear.

We need GM and nuclear to ensure the continuum of life on earth.

Heavenly Creature
    (Yawn)... Are the genetically-engineered lizards still alive in the lounge?
    The following users think this post is groovy: julianthegypsy

Originally Posted by oldkeith
    (Yawn)... Are the genetically-engineered lizards still alive in the lounge?
    Of course. They've been genetically modified to live on bullshit.

Heavenly Creature
    Aah! That explains it. Self-generating nutritional resources; a triumph of modern genetic engineering.
    But considering the amount of b/s generated, aren't we pushing beyond the second law of thermodynamics?
    The following users think this post is groovy: julianthegypsy

Originally Posted by oldkeith
    Aah! That explains it. Self-generating nutritional resources; a triumph of modern genetic engineering.
    But considering the amount of b/s generated, aren't we pushing beyond the second law of thermodynamics?
    No, we'll just be overrun with lizards. I'd ask my son if this was true but I can't understand anything he says since he finished his masters degree in aerospace engineering, I'm sure he makes it up as he goes along!
    The following users think this post is groovy: oldkeith

Tuning In
    Well, I could repeat what I have already said but it says that any way, try reading slowly.
    So the Lizards, what sort of money does lizard meat sell for?
    Is it better to grow meat on a stick with no brain and exercise the muscle with a computer or kill animals for meat.
    Frogs, lizards, fish and worms in the nuclear electric heated poly tunnels.
    Think of the planet.

Heavenly Creature
    I'm not veggie, but I don't think I'd like to eat lizards. Well, not some sorts of lizards, however tempted...

Tuning In
    Rattle snake is supposed to be good.

The lizards in Ibiza eat sugary drinks from your fingers.

Would you eat meat if it was grown on a stick, like a kebab... Lizard kebab even?

Not Quite a Noobie
    If only there were no longer any demand for this stuff, at least if crops were no longer being sprayed (and contaminating the organic ones), and they removed it from the food chain then I believe there is a good chance things could start changing. The GMO stuff could be replaced and more organic, natural stuff put in its place. But sadly there aren't enough people removing themselves from the demand... so in that respect how could it stop? Its such a fight, trying to remain informed when they work so hard to hide what they're doing; labels can be misleading and I find the whole thing a minefield to wade through. It makes my heart so sad.
    Last edited by LittleGreyOwl; 26-03--2016 at 07:58 PM. Reason: left something out

Tuning In
    Why do you want to stop growing GM plants?
    Organically grown stuff is grown on shit.
    I prefer hydroponic quality.
    OK so (I think) growing disease resistant crops is folly.
    Growing super yummy fruit and veg is a good thing.
    GM crops increase bio diversity and improve health.
    Organic veg tend to be poor quality and are leas nutritious.
    Organics is going backwards, its expensive and of no benefit to the planet.

Heavenly Creature
    Be well aware that unlike some of us on here, this chap (pp) appears to have no practical background in organic farming or horticulture, and just spouts whatever takes his fancy without studying or even thinking about it very clearly.
    The following users think this post is groovy: FriedOnion, julianthegypsy, ma bungo

Tuning In
    I was driving the John Deere at age 11.

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    It is well documented veg and fruit were more nutritious a 100 years ago when all was heritage variety and not forced on so much and natural methods of fertilisation were used.

And while organic produce are not significantly more nutritious , they are certainly not less, and have the bonus of not been bombarded with toxic substances to keep pests and weeds at bay .
    The following users think this post is groovy: FriedOnion, julianthegypsy, oldkeith

Tuning In
    Hydroponics can be grown in pharmaceutical conditions and don't need any pesticides in these circumstances.
    Nutrition is dependant on lots of factors, including the genetics of the plants and what the nutrient solution contains, it is possible to grow hydroponic GM produce with more nutrients than any other system.
    I am not against organic growing, if that is what you want to eat that's up to you.
    The fact is most people eat from foil trays and plastic packaging.
    Children eat sweets containing all sorts of crap.
    If we grow super yummy fruit and veg and kids say can I have fruit instead...that's a good thing.
    And the way to do that is GM.

Chicken crap is organic and highly polluting.

What would happen to all the shit if we didn't use it for fertilizer? We'd be overrun with shit and the lizards couldn't possibly keep up!

Tuning In
    To what shit do you refer?
    Putting shit on trees and forestry seems reasonably OK but water nearby must be monitored.
    I prefer food grown in sterile conditions myself.
    Cholera grows in water contaminated with shit.
    Flies eat shit and people.

Heavenly Creature
    The Chinese people have been using organic farming methods with various kinds of manure for well over 5,000 years, and have only relatively recently turned to using chemical methods. Europe and the rest of the world have been using organic methods throughout history until about 100 years ago. Since we all started using chemical fertilisers in quantity, we have also had to develop chemical insecticides.

One of the tragedies of modern agriculture and horticulture is that the mass of 'shit' produced, which is human waste, is not properly composted and returned to the land, thus ensuring a much better level of soil fertility.

We are organic biological organisms, and as such we are part of the natural world. We are not made to live in sterile conditions, nor to live off sterile food, any more than any other of the organisms which form the biosphere of the planet. Anyone or anything living in sterile conditions eating only sterile food will perish very quickly once they are forced outside of their sterile environment.

The alternative way of life or hippy worldview is to live in harmony with the natural world, aiding it where we can, treading softly on the planet, so that we can leave it in good order for those who walk the earth after us.

If you believe in dramatically altering the natural world by whatever means, for greed or ambition or for the short-term advancement of the human race to the detriment of its future, you are simply posting in the wrong forums, and on the wrong website.
    The following users think this post is groovy: FriedOnion, julianthegypsy, ma bungo

Tuning In
    Well, if we take your advice and wait for the atmosphere to evaporate, for the seas to rise and hope for the planet to repair its self ...we will die along with the planet.
    We must repair the planet with carbon free ( nuclear) power and planting plants.
    Turn the deserts green, build canals to replace roads, electric cars etc.
    Is the computer you are using exempt from your anti chemical veiw, or does it just apply to your fashionable rant? Computers contain arsnic, germanium, lead, formaldehyde, and much more, hypocrite.
    GM plants are good for you.
    There was a thing on radio 4 this morn and organic farmers were introducing parasitic wasps and other nasty insects to combat green fly, suppose they behave like New Zealand flat worm?
    Give me an air right poly tunnel any day.