Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: GM crops can be good for you and the planet.

Tuning In
    Yep, slavery is kind of off topic but most did well out of it, slaves were worth more in good condition and would not be in chains other than onboard ship.
    They wanted to get aboard the ship, a choice of starvation or a job on a banana plantation was a no brainer.
    People where not in chains on plantations, they work better that way.
    The fact is most black people hated white people and most white people hated black people, the same is still true among some but now some blacks hate whites and some whites hate blacks.
    Hollywood is funded by the American state and is financially bias to make us look bad.
    There was a thing on radio 4 a while ago, an insurance claim in which a ship sank and the slaves where thrown over the side, the throwing over the side was depicted as an atrocity...
    Well slaves float, dead or alive so it was an act of kindness and law to throw them over the side, they at least had a chance of survival.
    Laws were very strict, slave ships were designed in a humane way, slaves had room to sleep, this is well documented.
    People would be hung if they disobeyed the law blacks and whites alike.
    Most slaves were treated well, we only hear of mistreatment.
    Lincoln was a cocaine adict who had to stop the slave trade in order to maintain his own supply.
    He won the civil war by supplying the troops with cocaine in soft drindrinks and food.
    The result of that was mass poverty and starvation in the south, London didn't want any more blacks coming to the country and put a stop to it.
    History is changed to suit the political aims of Germany and america.
    South america was taken with Spanish slave labour, those slaves did not live to tell the tail.
    Had we not participated in the cross Atlantic slave trade, America would be a white Spanish speaking super power.
    The Dutch were prety ethical too.
    We have a fantastic reputation for fair play in Malaysia, Nepal, and many other places, we should use this for fair trade.
    This trade is worth more than the economy of Europe.

But that's another story.

More nuclear power stations and some GM crops.

Feed the world.

Use foreign labour on minimum wage and good conditions, the modern version of the slave trade.

We do well out of it and so do they.

Heavenly Creature
    What kind of a stone do you live under?
    The following users think this post is groovy: julianthegypsy, NomadicRT

lone wolf survivalist.
    well you wont get me eating that GM shit.

Good for you. Do you feel the same about the future born?

Will you save them from eating GM?

Already some people have little choice but to eat at least some GM.

How else can the insane Ubermensch placate the pool of slaves?

Tuning In
    I quite fancy the nectar coated banana mango myself.

If it is modified so that insects don't eat it, then I am not going to.

Disease resistant crops are the ones that are likely to behave like rhododendrons, a blanket yes or no to GM crops is not acceptable, some are good and some bad.

This is the future and solution to world poverty, hunger and climate change, its just that money is the motivator as opposed to self preservation and continued life on earth.

Noobie

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by julianthegypsy
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    I hate to rain on the parade, but GMO's are produced for one reason only and that is to make profits for the companies that produce them. Never mind fish genes, the biggest problem with them is that peasant farmers are being coerced into absolute dependency on foreign companies who will ream them so hard that they can barely survive. Already, there are laws being passed to prevent farmers saving their own seed, under some pretext or other, and with intense lobbying from the monsantos of this world. Buy gm seed from monsanto and you then spray it with round up, also from monsanto etc, and if you don't, your crop will fail. This is the exact opposite of all the work that has been done in the developing world promoting resilience among small farmers. The UN FAO has even come out and said that if we want to feed the world, then we need a massive increase in small farmers, in the uk context they would mean smallholders. If you wanted greater yields in Britain, simply split the hundreds of 1000 acre plus farms into tens of thousands of small holdings and you would have no need of gm crops in the first place. As for cholera, don't make me laugh, it's typically spread by infected water supplies, not from vegetables. If in doubt, wash your crops in clean water before you eat them. I spent over twenty years living in the tropics eating food from god knows where and I never got cholera and only had a bad dose of the trots a couple of times, which is what you'd expect in England with all our lovely plastic wrapped supermarket shit. As for the fish thing, I remember back in about 1985 seeing an article in Time magazine where they'd spliced a gene from a glow worm into a tobacco plant and made it glow in the dark. They were doing it to enable them to study the plant better, but the bigger problem is that we start splicing things and they end up going wild, cross pollinating and we end up with some really nasty weeds. Apparently most corn is now contaminated with gm genes by natural cross pollination. That's going to make it much harder to maintain pure seed stocks for hybridization or heritage seeds that need to be kept in case things go wrong and disease wipes out our latest super duper varieties. I have twenty five years experience of tropical farming and I can tell you that if you give a rats arse you should be very worried about gmo's in the food chain.
    Rant over!
    Well said.
    The following users think this post is groovy: hagrid