THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 59 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: Meet the neighbours

Heavenly Creature
    Well no clothing banks now, just the bins for cans and paper.

Jesus is not your friend Fire-Tree's Avatar
    Such terrible news. Where will you go shopping now?
    Blog: Experiencing England in a car with no money

Heavenly Creature
    I have no idea. A few people have dumped some clothes, I suppose that with happen for a short time.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Fire-Tree

Heavenly Creature
    I am pretty sure we have new neighbours.I have been noticing a young couple in an old R reg astra, over the past week. It's not cold now so they will be OK. They don't look like they have much stuff at all in the car.
    Also, I tried to catch the eye of the sprinter driver but he wasn't having any of it.

Heavenly Creature
    ......... and another new neighbour! Vanman stopped for lunch at a Tesco and noticed a guy packing his duvet in his car. Looks like he's turned up here.
    I am thinking of getting a flouro vest an allotting parking spaces
    The following users think this post is groovy: essexcamper, kiwikid, nicklincs, Raffi

Heavenly Creature
    Was talking to the lad in the van because I wombled him some hoodies for work. His plan is to stay a year and save for college. I'm so proud!!
    The following users think this post is groovy: nicklincs

Heavenly Creature
    After nagging the lad to buy a cooker for weeks, he's bought one, brand new. It doesn't work!!! I will have to take it back for him, cos he didn't keep the receipt. Fear not, I have a cunning plan......
    The following users think this post is groovy: essexcamper, kiwikid, nicklincs, patchypete

"The best way to get something done , is to begin "
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, essexcamper, nicklincs

Heavenly Creature

Way past the outer rings Change's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Languid Virago View Post
    I slept in the front of my van for most of a year, back was full of my tatt until I bit the bullet and sold much of it off via boot sales to make enough space for a mattress.

Between homes or lost one suddenly would be my guess. Not everyone who lives in a van has always been poor, I remember dropping 50 large in cash for rare 1950s Citroen which I eventually drove through a second story stone wall. ( long story, it involved alcohol)

Now that's a story that needs an outside fire and a bottle of wine to be heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Change View Post
    Now that's a story that needs an outside fire and a bottle of wine to be heard.
    It does, it involves a ski trip with the gendarmerie, a 3 way love triangle with a Brit, a Dutch person and a german, Barcalona, Amanda Lear, Salvador Dali and some forged paintings, and an epileptic dog with a skin disorder. And too many muld wines.
    The following users think this post is groovy: astartosteerby, Change, Colin M, Danann, essexcamper, kiwikid, patchypete, wurzel

Quote Originally Posted by Languid Virago View Post
    It does, it involves a ski trip with the gendarmerie, a 3 way love triangle with a Brit, a Dutch person and a german, Barcalona, Amanda Lear, Salvador Dali and some forged paintings, and an epileptic dog with a skin disorder. And too many muld wines.
    The recipe for a good tale.

Heavenly Creature
    It was like Romania in the car park last night! Two regular returners, curtainsider Renault masters, and an ex UK now RO registered Renault Clio. I spoke to the car driver, he's a mate of my 'adoptive nephew'. He was living NINE to a room in a shared house and paying £300 a month for the privilege!! There were drunken fights every weekend, so he thought it was a better option to sleep in his car. Who can blame him?

Vanlife is quieter and more peaceful than them dodgy shared houses and flats where people slam doors and the like.

Why meet the neighbours? Much better to revel in in some quiet..,......and for them to do the same

Heavenly Creature
    Just trying to highlight how many people are living in my immediate area mate.

What a great eye opening thread

Awww you are so lovely vanwoman I want to hear more!

Heavenly Creature
    Why thank you! Not too much to report at the moment. I think one of the lads is going to take his UK Zafira and register it in Romania. The other guy with the Cleo said it cost him about £180, and that's with £100 for Romanian insurance for the year! It's a small car though, and registration goes on engine size.
    The guy with the Pilot made a fleeting visit, not seen him in months, but he was gone before I had chance to speak to him.

I've been watching a few TV programmes on what the London living can be like for some.
    The rent is truly staggering and really over cramped conditions. A lot of these people are hard working full time! Its shocking.
    No wonder they stay in vehicles, its probably safer & i'ts far cheaper.
    I'm glad they have you to look after them, it must make a world of difference to people in that position.

Heavenly Creature
    BTW my cunning plan with the lad's cooker was to buy another one, keep the receipt and take back the defective cooker, getting my money back. It worked too!
    Just one thing, the cheeky people in the shop just packed it up and put it back on the shelf!! I know it's the same one, I folded up the cardboard outer sleeve to the case. I can see the crease even though they taped it back on! Also the case has a tiny crack in it. I can't believe they put it back on the shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by vanwoman84 View Post
    BTW my cunning plan with the lad's cooker was to buy another one, keep the receipt and take back the defective cooker, getting my money back. It worked too!
    Just one thing, the cheeky people in the shop just packed it up and put it back on the shelf!! I know it's the same one, I folded up the cardboard outer sleeve to the case. I can see the crease even though they taped it back on! Also the case has a tiny crack in it. I can't believe they put it back on the shelf!
    Hahaha! Clever plan.

Ah that's naughty of them someone is going to end up with a dudd now.
    Least your man is sorted though

Heavenly Creature
    I do wonder if the next buyer of the cooker will bother to take it back.
    In other news, vanman noticed Sprinter Man is wearing a TNT fleece. He must be subbing for them, I can't see them being happy with him taking one of their vans out for weeks on end!

Do the police leave them alone? Or are they always on at them to move on?

Heavenly Creature
    We are all on private land. The only time we had any contact with the police was when the warehouse we were parked next to was on fire!

Ohhhh I see. I didn't realise that. That's great news then that its private
    A fire doesn't sound good. We live down the road from the fire station & quite often see them tearing off with the blues flashing & blaring. Amazing just how many fires there must be!