THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 3 of 57 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: Meet the neighbours

Heavenly Creature
    The road itself is private, but looks like a regular road. There are ways of spotting it's private the other lads are on a car park, except the one in the van.

I tend to always gravitate towards the coastal areas & the countryside. Cities scare the bejesus out of me I'm such a wuss

Heavenly Creature
    I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that I am a townie. For me, it's easier to live in town. I doubt I would live in a house again in town though.

Quote Originally Posted by vanwoman84 View Post
    I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that I am a townie. For me, it's easier to live in town. I doubt I would live in a house again in town though.
    I don't really get why I loathe bricks & mortar so much, but I do seem to have a real issue with it! It's ridiculous really, I've always had lovely rental properties with great agencies/landlords. I've jointly owned several of my own with no problems to put me off. I just find it so gawd damn suffocating! 6 months in & I start to get restless. I'm fine all the time I'm getting it how I want it, the garden & the decor & where everything goes, then I start to feel tied down & I'm like a cat on a hot tin roof
    It takes all sorts to make a world.

I sound so spoilt I am bad

Not Quite a Noobie
    This is a really interesting thread to read. Any updates?

Not Quite a Noobie
    Is reregistering a car in a foreign country but staying in the UK a thing that people do?

Heavenly Creature
    Looks like it. I regularly see a RHD sprinter on RO plates.
    I've been collecting kids clothes because one of the lads in the cars is sending a load home for his kids today. Lucky people are still dumping clothes where the clothing banks were. I managed to scrounge together a BIG bin bag of stuff. He's got five kids, from one year to 13!!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Colin M, Danann, kiwikid, nicklincs, patchypete

Heavenly Creature
    Also last night a Romanian registered sprinter with a caravan pitched up and stayed the night. It sounds a bit hypocritical but I hope they don't hang around. It's only a little tourer but I think a caravan is a step too far.
    The following users think this post is groovy: essexcamper

Heavenly Creature
    I freegan'd a load of crisps and Doritos so thought I would share and hand em around. One of the lads called me mother. I said Auntie was OK but Mother is a step too far!!
    The following users think this post is groovy: nicklincs

Also last night a Romanian registered sprinter with a caravan pitched up and stayed the night. It sounds a bit hypocritical but I hope they don't hang around. It's only a little tourer but I think a caravan is a step too far.
    Why? I don't understand why you say that.
    What if the man in the tourer is as much in need as anybody else?
    Where is the line you have drawn & why draw it? Don't get me wrong, I am not half the person you are, I know that, I'm just curious why such a person as yourself has a cut off & why.

I freegan'd a load of crisps and Doritos so thought I would share and hand em around. One of the lads called me mother. I said Auntie was OK but Mother is a step too far!!
    I think you are one of life's natural born carers. The world would be a miserable place without hearts like yours.
    You are a giver. The world needs more givers & less takers.
    Stuff the government, help each other.
    The following users think this post is groovy: kampaman&Tracy

Amateur photographer EnglishLens's Avatar
    A van community sounds great. If I could find one, I'd probably buy a larger van.
    I don't have any neighbours. I've been parking in the same town centre car park for several months, and It's quite comfortable with some free amenities. It's patrolled at least twice a night by the police, so I even have a free security service. I've seen the odd campervan park overnight, but it's only about once a month, and only for one night. I usually leave by 6am, and parking charges are between 8am and 6pm - it's free outside that. Apart from a couple of guys who have asked me about van living, people seem to leave me alone. Both of the guys had relationship problems, and wanted to escape from difficult life situations.

I think I'd enjoy some out-of-town stays with other van dwellers, especially if it was in a healthy natural environment.
    The following users think this post is groovy: greenvanman

Heavenly Creature
    Roamer, I know how bad it sounds, but just, like anybody else, when a caravan turns up you don't know if the occupants are reasonable or not. If it's the latter, it's too late when it's spoiled for all of us. Once a couple of years ago, three Irish traveller families turned up on the car park. They were there about a week, and left piles of domestic rubbish and broken lawnmowers. That's what I mean by you don't know if caravan dwellers are good or bad. The main problem is caravans are obvious. On a similar note, there's a vehicle agent who seems to be parking their stock in a bit of the car park. When everything's closed on Sunday afternoon, you can spot the cars that haven't moved. Currently it's about ten. At least one of them has run out of test since it's been parked. If it gets any worse, they will put gates on the car park and we will all be stuffed.
    Thanks for your kind words though, you have to do what you can, when you can. I wish I could find something witty to say but I'm not good with compliments!!
    The following users think this post is groovy: greenvanman, kiwikid, patchypete, Roamer

Roamer, I know how bad it sounds, but just, like anybody else, when a caravan turns up you don't know if the occupants are reasonable or not. If it's the latter, it's too late when it's spoiled for all of us. Once a couple of years ago, three Irish traveller families turned up on the car park. They were there about a week, and left piles of domestic rubbish and broken lawnmowers. That's what I mean by you don't know if caravan dwellers are good or bad. The main problem is caravans are obvious. On a similar note, there's a vehicle agent who seems to be parking their stock in a bit of the car park. When everything's closed on Sunday afternoon, you can spot the cars that haven't moved. Currently it's about ten. At least one of them has run out of test since it's been parked. If it gets any worse, they will put gates on the car park and we will all be stuffed.
    Thanks for your kind words though, you have to do what you can, when you can. I wish I could find something witty to say but I'm not good with compliments!!
    I agree, it only takes one bad apple to spoil the barrel . ( hello vw )
    "The best way to get something done , is to begin "

Heavenly Creature
    hello back to you PP!

Well I am very happy. I saw some huge glass drinks dispensers in Wilkinsons, but never liked glass or ceramic stuff in the van. It gets broken. Low and behold, I was having a look in Wilkinson's bins, and found two of them, broken of course, in the bin. BUT inside them, never fitted, were the little chrome taps! So now I need to work out how to fit them to one of those food grade square barrels I get. Thing is, they have a top on them that's too small to get me hand in. I will work something out....
    The following users think this post is groovy: bohomon, essexcamper, nicklincs, patchypete

Heavenly Creature
    hello back to you PP!
    The following users think this post is groovy: patchypete

Quote Originally Posted by Roamer View Post
    Why? I don't understand why you say that.
    What if the man in the tourer is as much in need as anybody else?
    Where is the line you have drawn & why draw it? Don't get me wrong, I am not half the person you are, I know that, I'm just curious why such a person as yourself has a cut off & why.
    I would say a caravan has connotations with travellers and would draw unwanted attention

Heavenly Creature
    Exactly. Now I think about it, I haven't met a van or car dweller who made a mess or drew attention to themselves. Caravan dwellers draw attention just by turning up. That's just the way it is!

So you wanna be a nomad but not associated with travellers. That sounds pretty hypocritical to me.
    The following users think this post is groovy: ma bungo

I tow a trailer and it's true I'm universally hated, when I was younger I enjoyed the conflict now I'm older it's peace I seek.
    just a simple guy

Looks like it. I regularly see a RHD sprinter on RO plates.
    I've been collecting kids clothes because one of the lads in the cars is sending a load home for his kids today. Lucky people are still dumping clothes where the clothing banks were. I managed to scrounge together a BIG bin bag of stuff. He's got five kids, from one year to 13!!
    I have been reading your words on here vanwoman84 and can
    Truly Say .."You Are Truly A Beautiful Woman Outside And Inside And In Heart Mind Body Spirit" And You Are A (True Treasure) In This World Of Mans Earth......And You Have Made Me Smile So Big And Bright Reading Of Your Gentleness And Kindness And Giving To Many To Help Them In Life Struggles ....So I Both Hugggg You And Thankyou For Sharing And Writing Your Beautiful Words For All To See As It Shows Still There Are And Is Still People Of "True Gentleness And Kindness And Beautifulness (Treasures) In This World xxxx )))
    Form From The Void & Mists
    The following users think this post is groovy: greenvanman, Roamer

Quote Originally Posted by Subgenre View Post
    So you wanna be a nomad but not associated with travellers. That sounds pretty hypocritical to me.
    I don't agree with you at all. Why associate with people who have a diametrically opposite ethos on life to you?

Heavenly Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by Subgenre View Post
    I know how it looks, and even said the same myself. It's a fine line between being friendly and protecting yourself. So far, I have had no bad feeling from anybody in a vehicle.
    You are right that I should make more of an effort with people with caravans, but it's not always that simple. Life isn't that simple.
    I am still trying to make contact with the guy in the sprinter, but he doesn't want to know.
    And Danann, thanks for that! Like I said I am bad with compliments
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann