THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 58 of 59 FirstFirst ... 8 48 54 55 56 57 58 59 LastLast
Results 1,369 to 1,392 of 1396

Thread: Meet the neighbours

Whats he doing now then ?
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

Heavenly Creature
    He's gone to visit his wife and daughter in Poland, it was booked before the van was taken. Back next week.

Tuning In
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick69 View Post
    Vw, dont know if it would work for polish nationals, but in the uk you can log onto the gov gateway and check your national insurance contributions. If none are showing for him he might be able to do something about it.
    As a Polish national I can confirm, that you can check many things on government gateway. The process of registering is a bit annoying though, but since you are there, you can do plenty of tax and NI related stuff.

I wish DVLA was like that as well, but over 12 years I am here, they became less and less friendly to EU licence holders (and I am not going to exchange mine to British, especially now with all this Brexit shit going on).

Heavenly Creature
    I don't blame you orys, you lose all the driving history and, if you exchanged your licence, you are effectively a UK new driver. One of the other lads found this out and got massive insurance quotes as a result.
    Now, the lad has parked his van in another private side road. He's at the back of a bank, but the garage next door is giving him hassle. They say he's parked on their property, he's not.
    I even went to the Land Registry website and paid for a title plan, which shows the bank owning the bit of road he's on.
    He said somebody came and knocked on the van at 2am, he didn't go out. He said he's seen somebody in a new VW Golf looking at his van and the occupied cars. Maybe being paranoid but I think not. I am actually wondering if it's the company keeping an eye on them.

Pity we cant all pay them a visit at the same time.

Heavenly Creature
    I have to head back into town soon. I am tempted to swap vans with him. What would they do if they knocked and a half dressed woman and small angry dog leapt out screaming at them? I am thinking something like
    GET YOUR HANDS OFF ME YOU PERVERT!!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, NomadicRT, parrotandcrow, pyke13

Tuning In
    Quote Originally Posted by vanwoman84 View Post
    I don't blame you orys, you lose all the driving history and, if you exchanged your licence, you are effectively a UK new driver.
    I never heard that, I thought that since my license is registered with DVLA (I even had some speeding points on it once) then my history remains, that is a new thing to me. But even if, it's not only that.

See, first and foremost I did it quite a while ago, when they were still handing out unlimited licenses - so I can drive basically until I drop dead. They don't do it any more, and they don't do in Britain, so if I exchange it into British, it will be 10 years license only, and if I exchange that back, I will get 10 years Polish one.

Secondly - It cannot be taken away from me. If I happen to hit 12 points (which I don't, I have clear licence and intend for it to stay this way) Britain cannot take it away from me. I can be only banned from driving in Britain, but will be free to drive in other countries.

Thirdly, I don't know if you heard about that Canadian couple who were mobbed out of Scotland by home office for not earning 35 000 pounds each, or not employing workers in their small highland cafe. When they were still fighting for their right to remain here, they had their driving licences invalidated by DVLA. In the wake of Brexit, when I hear the Pry Minister on LBC saying that she "cannot warrant my rights" I would like to have as little as possible with the British governmental institutions. Because, who knows, maybe after Brexit I will also be allowed to stay only if I make 35 000 pounds per year, and somehow I can't see it happening anytime soon, and especially when economy will go down the drain after hard Brexit.

And last but not least, I have some British documents - driver's CPC, tacho card, V5C document, and every single time I was exchanging them there were some mistakes done. They cannot even spell "Glasgow" correctly, not to mention my surname. So I would rather keep number of British documents as low as possible
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Quote Originally Posted by orys View Post
    Because, who knows, maybe after Brexit I will also be allowed to stay only if I make 35 000 pounds per year, and somehow I can't see it happening anytime soon
    You can make £35k a year easy in London by window cleaning. Lots of your country men are doing it all the time but they don't want to declare it and pay UK tax.

I never heard that, I thought that since my license is registered with DVLA (I even had some speeding points on it once) then my history remains, that is a new thing to me. But even if, it's not only that.

See, first and foremost I did it quite a while ago, when they were still handing out unlimited licenses - so I can drive basically until I drop dead. They don't do it any more, and they don't do in Britain, so if I exchange it into British, it will be 10 years license only, and if I exchange that back, I will get 10 years Polish one.

Secondly - It cannot be taken away from me. If I happen to hit 12 points (which I don't, I have clear licence and intend for it to stay this way) Britain cannot take it away from me. I can be only banned from driving in Britain, but will be free to drive in other countries.
    Do not count on that, eu law says you can be forced to exchange it for a British one if you get points and are Uk resident, whether the British do this I have no idea, some countries do enforce this like France.

Also the eu countries driving authorities do now talk to each other, so banned in one may well equal banned in all of them. Enforcement is still sporadic, you may slip through the cracks, but you will be breaking the law.

Heavenly Creature
    The lad in the corsa exchanged his licence three years ago, and it's start time is three years ago, so effectively he only passed in the UK three years ago. He actually passed in Romania over ten years ago. His true pass date isn't recorded on his UK licence.

The lad in the corsa exchanged his licence three years ago, and it's start time is three years ago, so effectively he only passed in the UK three years ago. He actually passed in Romania over ten years ago. His true pass date isn't recorded on his UK licence.
    How joined up is the system? do the UK and Romania actually talk to each other? Can he not just apply to the Romanian licencing people for a duplicate licence because his got chewed by the dog or what ever? Then he would have both

Some years back I worked with two British born Greek Cypriot brothers, both had British and Cyprus driving licences. That seemed pretty much the norm in their community. I don't think it was illegal

The advantage for them was if they got stopped they would produce the Cyprus licence and 9 times out of 10 the copper would think it wasn't worth the effort of nicking them if it was something minor

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    How joined up is the system? do the UK and Romania actually talk to each other? Can he not just apply to the Romanian licencing people for a duplicate licence because his got chewed by the dog or what ever? Then he would have both

r
    I changed my Uk licence for a French one 27 years ago, the key word is “exchange” in those days they never talked, so unbeknownst to me my Uk licence was still valid, it wasn’t supposed to be. The failure was a French one for not informing the DVLA

I got a letter out of the blue last year cancelling it as They had records I had a French one, it was cancelled just after the points I had got had gone, so obviously they now talk to each other.

While people including myself do have more than one nationality of licence, it is against the law, as one EU countries licence is exchanged for another. They are all in theory as equally valid. But you are allowed only one.

I used to have French and German car licences, and a US bike licence, As well as the valid but assumed it was cancelled Uk licence, the US one is useless here, the German one is lost without trace and the UK one was cancelled. So I am left with just one, of which I have a spare copy ( also against the law) just in case.

Not sure how Romania works, but the UK DVLA will issue for free a statement of when the original Uk licence was issued, any points still on it, and all the categories it covers you to drive. They still do this if the licence is suspended due to getting a non Uk one.

Tuning In
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    You can make £35k a year easy in London by window cleaning. Lots of your country men are doing it all the time but they don't want to declare it and pay UK tax.
    Yeah, because this is what Poles do. Simple jobs and avoiding taxes. Where have you heard that from? Nigel Farage?

Shame my stupid Polish London friends never heard about it, and they run their companies legally or work for someone else, rarely reaching over 30 000 even in some good jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Languid Virago View Post
    Do not count on that, eu law says you can be forced to exchange it for a British one if you get points and are Uk resident, whether the British do this I have no idea, some countries do enforce this like France.
    Actually there is no EU law like that (I've researched it well a few years ago when I was writing about the subject). Only issuing country can take your license back. Member states might put some special requirements, but they are not obligatory by EU rules (so for example, Britain would want me to exchange my license when I reach 70 (or 45, for driving lorries). Still, I might decide to do not do that, and loose my right to drive in Britain, but my license will still remain valid elsewhere.

But if I had a time limited license, and it expired, then I would have to get new one from the country I live in - in that case, from Britain.

Also the eu countries driving authorities do now talk to each other, so banned in one may well equal banned in all of them. Enforcement is still sporadic, you may slip through the cracks, but you will be breaking the law.
    Such cases are heard of, but it would always have to go through the issuing country court, as British courts have no jurisdiction over foreign licences.

Anyway, this is just theoretical, I do not intend to ever need to make use of any of this

This does not sound right to me. Some of my friends exchanged their licenses, and they got a date of when they have passed their test in Poland or Czech Republic. But, hey ho, DVLA is an institution that cannot spell GLASGOW correctly, I would not expect too much from them

Quote Originally Posted by Languid Virago View Post
    Not sure how Romania works, but the UK DVLA will issue for free a statement of when the original Uk licence was issued, any points still on it, and all the categories it covers you to drive. They still do this if the licence is suspended due to getting a non Uk one.
    Usually if you exchange your license, you surrender it in the office when picking up the new one, and it is then send back to the country of issue, at least this is how it has been for last 10 years or so.

So the only way to have two licenses, would be to make one in another country from scratch. But then, if discovered, you might be done for fraud, as you have to confirm, that you don't have any EU/EEA license when applying for your driving test.

Heavenly Creature
    I saw the guy in the corsa's license, as I made his insurance for his van when he took it home.

I have just spoken to the lad in the LDV, well he's not in the LDV since it was seized by the company. It's still got a damaged prop shaft. The same company still has his RV (unrepaired). So he's effectively homeless. Now we have our LDV back, I am thinking of lending him a van.

Yeah, because this is what Poles do. Simple jobs and avoiding taxes. Where have you heard that from? Nigel Farage?
    No I run a window cleaning business in London and I know how much I earn (£30 per hour average), and I know Polish, Hungarian and Rumanian guys who work a whole lot harder than I do. I've been doing it for ten years, I know exactly how much people are earning.

Heavenly Creature
    Finally! The lad got his LDV camper back. He's parked up on the private road by a bank. He's hoping to get his RV back soon, so the LDV will be up for sale.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, nicklincs

Heavenly Creature
    I was out wombling yesterday, went to a loading bay of a big store out of hours. The bin was away from the wall, instead of in the corner.
    Behind it was the dirtiest single mattress I have ever seen, and a few empty cider cans. The weirdest thing was, next to the 'bed' was a small, broken, silver painted plaster cherub ornament. It probably came out of the bin.
    It made me a bit sad to see it, that somebody either had to or chose to, live like that. I didn't see anybody and of course I left everything where it was. There but for the grace of God and all that, oh and having a van...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer

I was out wombling yesterday, went to a loading bay of a big store out of hours. The bin was away from the wall, instead of in the corner.
    Behind it was the dirtiest single mattress I have ever seen, and a few empty cider cans. The weirdest thing was, next to the 'bed' was a small, broken, silver painted plaster cherub ornament. It probably came out of the bin.
    It made me a bit sad to see it, that somebody either had to or chose to, live like that. I didn't see anybody and of course I left everything where it was. There but for the grace of God and all that, oh and having a van...
    Yes indeed, there but for the grace of god

Heavenly Creature
    To be honest, we have been perilously close, after our live/work van was stolen. We were down to a small short wheelbase van, us and the dogs. It was terrible. It's the only time in my life I felt homeless.

Heavenly Creature
    I gave the new duvet to the lad in the van. Had a bit of a clear out and found some duvet covers and pillow cases. Along with a coat and some t-shirts it was a good haul!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, nicklincs, NomadicRT

Heavenly Creature
    South London. One of my favourite city parkups. It's a wide industrial street, unregulated with commercial estates on one side, and a nice grass bank with a footpath on the other.
    I first started parking here a couple of years ago, at night it's really quiet and trucks park up for the night.
    Just recently though it's started to be a car park for the local repair garages, and parking's getting more difficult.
    The council here are making noises about putting in double yellow lines, and some have already appeared, although they are on corners that I don't think people would have parked on anyway.
    Why can't people not take the wee? It's the wall to wall cars awaiting repair or sale that's done it. They park (or arrive by recovery truck), stay for weeks so the trucks have to park on the other side of the road. Sadly I can see this park up going.
    As for neighbours, there's a rather smart Merc Vito with a camper style thermal windscreen blind up the road. It's thirteen years old but very clean and tidy.

Amazing how all those car windows never get broken....

Heavenly Creature
    Yes, I lay awake worrying about that. Specially on the company car park. You know, the one where the vans get taken away yet the cars, even the badly damaged ones, don't.

Heavenly Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by NomadicRT View Post
    Amazing how all those car windows never get broken....
    You're naughty you are