THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 49 of 57 FirstFirst ... 39 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... LastLast
Results 1,153 to 1,176 of 1348

Thread: Meet the neighbours

What a lovely gesture Danann.Your a sweetheart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danann View Post
    Hi ya Vanwoman84 if you be ever my way in SouthEast London And Be Having Trouble Parking Up For The Night Just PM Me If You Like As My Street And Surrounding Parks And RiverBank No Lines And I Often See Truckers And Big Vans Stop Over And It Is Safe And No Yellow Lines And No Police Moving Peeps On....And I Could Offer You A Nice Cuppa And Dinner Etc And A Chat And Sort Out Anything You Need Hot Bath Or Shower Clothing Etc Washed And Dried Etc As My Home Would Be Happy To Welcome You Anytime You Pass By If You Ever Wanted In Passing My Ways.
    Ok It Be Kinda A Bouncie Cray Cray Home hahaha...But You Would Always Be Welcome By Me As I Be On My Own Most Time Anyways With My Crazy Dog hahaha And My Older Son Who Just Does His Own Thing Anyways hahaha. )) ...So My Hand Always Be Reached Out To You Happily If You Ever Wanted Too Or Needed Too ))
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, essexcamper

Heavenly Creature
    Cricket you beat me to it! That's a lovely offer Danann! Is that sort of on the way to Kent? Or have I got the Geography wrong?
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann

Quote Originally Posted by vanwoman84 View Post
    I don't know where the auctions are but will find out. Thanks!
    There are planning notices posted here warning of coming double yellow lines, and I think I know why. The guy in the convoy tells me last month there were travelers in the street. They put out kennels for their dogs and garden furniture, the lot. They also covered the bank next to the road with rubbish and were obviously evicted.
    Why would you do that?
    I've no idea but people do it here too. You find a lovely little spot out in the wilds and someone comes along and starts hanging washing from the trees and getting their camping chairs and tables out. It's no wonder the locals get pissed off.

As an aside - I really do love this thread - it's one I always look out for.
    Roughing it smoothly...

Heavenly Creature
    Thanks Mrs P!
    I have to say some, not all but some travellers do themselves no favours and also spoil it for the rest of us.
    I was in Tesco earlier, and had a suit over saying I was "obviously running some sort of business there"
    Er what?
    We had sort of a bit fitted the solar panel there last week
    But I'm not staying there or running a business on their car park!! Very weird. They didn't, however tell me to leave or tell me to go. So I will probably go back tomorrow
    The following users think this post is groovy: Steev

Quote Originally Posted by cricket View Post
    What a lovely gesture Danann.Your a sweetheart.
    Thankyou cricket For Your Kind Words)....And Maybe Could Have A Mini Danann UKHippy Backgarden Fire Gathering Too hehehehe..)

It Would Be Like A Bouncie Fire Gathering One To Be Sure hehehehe And Defo A Whole Lotta Cray Cray And Giggles Going On....hahahaha))
    Form From The Void & Mists

Heavenly Creature
    I have selfish neighbours. Yesterday I got out of the van to find a mini I nearly had to step on to use the back door. At that stage, there was a nice big space in front, so at least I could move off, so I took the dogs out. When I got back there was not one but two cars wedged in the space. I was trapped. And it was getting hot. I didn't have anywhere particular to go, so I stayed with the dogs. Usually I would drive to some shade, so it was safe to leave them. That wasn't going to happen.
    Today, the bleeding mini was back! So were the other cars, so I had to call my mate to help me out of the space.
    I think reversing sensors may be on the shopping list.

forget the reversing sensor get a tow hitch , not only indicates very close proximaty whilst protecting your vehicle but using will-power , a few revs and clutch control can actually move the obstacle enough to facilitate your safe exit
    The following users think this post is groovy: Colin M, Danann, nicklincs, parrotandcrow, Petew, Rick69

Heavenly Creature
    I like your style Shroom

Quote Originally Posted by Shroom View Post
    forget the reversing sensor get a tow hitch , not only indicates very close proximaty whilst protecting your vehicle but using will-power , a few revs and clutch control can actually move the obstacle enough to facilitate your safe exit
    This!

-- Posted from the UKHippy mobile app ---

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shroom View Post

LOL,I call my tow bar my reversing sensor
    The following users think this post is groovy: Colin M, Danann, nicklincs

Quote Originally Posted by ma bungo View Post
    LOL,I call my tow bar my reversing sensor
    I don't have a tow bar but once i hear a bang I know I've reversed far enough
    The following users think this post is groovy: convoy, Danann

Heavenly Creature
    Noooo! That way lies damage, to your van!

Meet the neighbours

I love this thread, I've read most of it. I'd love to live in a van one day (not possible atm because I've got an 11 year old daughter).
    I earn pretty decent money as a maintenance engineer , but would love to cut my living expenses, work 3 months a year and enjoy surfing/nature.
    Thanks for telling your story, I'll keep reading, much love VW xx
    The following users think this post is groovy: Chazz

Heavenly Creature
    Thanks Rusty! I know a lot of people read this thread and don't comment. So it's nice to see readers join in.
    The following users think this post is groovy: essexcamper, Rusty Surfer

Heavenly Creature
    I am pretty sure the guy in the Corsa is being ripped off by his 'employer'
    He's been told he's self employed, yet his 'boss' is taking 50-60 a week off him in 'tax and national insurance'.
    In other news, one of the other guys thinks he's got a rat somewhere in the car's bodywork. He had one under the bonnet, there was a massive nest in there made of underbonnet insulation. He's now heard it somewhere in the wheel arch last night, chewing.

Quote Originally Posted by vanwoman84 View Post
    I am pretty sure the guy in the Corsa is being ripped off by his 'employer'
    He's been told he's self employed, yet his 'boss' is taking 50-60 a week off him in 'tax and national insurance'.
    In other news, one of the other guys thinks he's got a rat somewhere in the car's bodywork. He had one under the bonnet, there was a massive nest in there made of underbonnet insulation. He's now heard it somewhere in the wheel arch last night, chewing.
    Sounds like hes not doing too well, I reckon the employer is a rat chewing too lol ....

Vw, dont know if it would work for polish nationals, but in the uk you can log onto the gov gateway and check your national insurance contributions. If none are showing for him he might be able to do something about it.
    The following users think this post is groovy: essexcamper

Could this be something like the old SC60, sub contractor, not employed but had tax stopped? I seem to remember my ex being on this many years ago but I'm sure it will have a different name by now..... prolly wrong as usual.....

Heavenly Creature
    Rick he's Romanian, but does have a UK national insurance number. I told him to ask for a P60. He did this once before with an agency and it revealed they had taken tax off him, but the tax office hadn't received it. Fraud?
    Groove I will look into that, I've only been straight self employed so don't know much about sub contracting.

Sorry i thought you'd said before he was polish, whatever nationality if he is registered and working you may be able to check online, also as you say a p60 will show it. However what does he do if the employer is pocketing the contributions, if he actually reports them he will probably lose any work that they give him. This is the unfortunate position that eu nationals coming and working here are finding themselves in. May be worth saying to the employer that someone else self employed has mentioned a different system, and should he ring the tax office for advice. This might prompt them into reducing or even stopping his deductions if they are on the fiddle so as he doesnt actually question it.

Heavenly Creature
    I did tell him to say if he's self employed, he will pay hIs own tax. He's having a 'meeting' with the boss today. Something about a contract was mentioned. Maybe zero hours?

Turning On
    One of my sons is self employed,but has tax stopped by companies he works for.Its generally higher than it should be due to not having allowances like his van etc taken into account.He yearly contacts the tax office and submits his tax return showing his expenses,then receives a refund.

Heavenly Creature
    Had a nice chat with the lad in the van. I hadn't seen him in a while. He's got a new job so got stuck in with it. He said his friend wanted him to go in with a flat share. The lad didn't see the point, as he said he'd survived the winter so why pay rent for a flat?
    The following users think this post is groovy: essexcamper, Fire-Tree, Sootyfoot

Heavenly Creature
    I have a bit of a dilemma.
    Remember the lad with the gambling problem? I had told him that I wouldn't lend him any money. I was happy to buy him food and even pay for petrol but not give him actual money.
    Unfortunately a few weeks away I broke my own rule and lent him ten pounds. He paid it back the following Friday. This happened a few times, it was always paid back so I didn't mind. Just recently though, he would pay the money back on Friday and ask to borrow it again on Monday. This happened too often. This was despite him working all week. He admitted he's putting 200-300 into fixed odds machines. Then he would ask me for ten pounds to keep him going. I was beginning to think that he just did it because he could.
    This week he said he couldn't pay me back until next week. I said that was fine, but I didn't want to lend him any more.
    Was that fair?